inTank Media Baskets

James' 22l Pico 8months progress

Jamo

You've no idea how excited I am that the weekend is here. Not that I have huge plans... just that it's been a horrendous work week for me. Bleh.

I'm going to the LFS tomorrow and then on Sunday, I'm meeting up with another local reefer to see if I can score some additional frags. :)

*yay!*

Hope you have a better weekend than me!

Somebody around the corner from me has a reef tank, i noticed walking home from the pub, bright lights made me look at the house and i saw a tank similar to mine, although my tank is already kick ass in comparison didn't look like the guy had much that i could knock and ask if i could take a frag. I'm not looking forward to the weekend, i am helping somebody move, so i did my tank maintainence today instead of sunday, brought additional water to do a good change later in the week. changed 10L today though. did a water test and nitrates went up a bit, i think this is due to disturbing the sand bed quite a bit. will do a test later once all is settled, my new zoa's don't seem to want to come out, one or two have but the rest haven't. Also i've noticed that i think my tank bulb needs replacing. I will take pics once stuff has opened nicely.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i've had enough of waiting and beings as i am shattered i thought i would upload these before i have my tea and relax.

Here first of all is the obligatory FTS. New rock to be seen!

Photo-0009-2.jpg

This shot shows the tank rather than just focusing on the inside.

Photo-0001-4.jpg

Here is the new peice of rock. It came from a tank that was established for four years according to the lfs guy, not so sure due to the lack of coraline but it was exactly what i was looking for after they said they weren't able to break me some smaller peices as they were understaffed.

Here is the Xenia still going strong. I think there are about 15 heads on it now.

Photo-0010-1.jpg

The new Zoas that are being social recluses and refusing to come out. At time of writing this 5 heads have opened now, i am a bit dissappointed with them if i am honest. The shop didn't have many zoa's that weren't the green ones i have atm so i thought i would get these guys but they aren't dense enough for my yet (hopefully in a week or two they will be kick ass).

Photo-0011-2.jpg

Here is my new ricordia? At least i think its a ricordia, looks like one to me, but then again its not as bubbly as pics i am looking at on the net.

Photo-0013-2.jpg

Here is the side view from the left side of the tank. I like this view almost more than the front view, but it doesn't allow a good showcase otherwise i'd rotate the inside of the tank to see it this way.

Photo-0015.jpg

Here is a view from the right hand side. The glass is pretty dirty, i am only cleaning the front glass and half of the left side, this is to allow the snails plenty of algae so they aren't competeing with the crabs too much.

Photo-0016-2.jpg

Here is the mushroom in its new home. It tucked right in and made its self small after being moved, i have promised it that i won't move it for a while and that i may give it some friends soon also.

Photo-0017-1.jpg

And the coup de grâce, my GSP, my pride and joy/ it will be when it takes over the rock it is on! I have waited two weeks for that beauty.

Photo-0018-1.jpg

So that is pretty much it. I am trying to get my hands on my aunts digital slr with macro lense to get some good shots, but its proving difficult to convince her it will be safe, i shouldn't have said i wanted to use it to take pics of my fish tank, i think she has images of it going swimming. I think the next purchase for the tank is def going to be a refugium, although i may be able to put this in the 3' long soon and have a large swimming area for the clown maybe get it an anemone and a partner. We'll see.

Please comment. Feedback is always useful even if negative!

Hi all. Been bored the past few hours so i spent a few mins taking pics of the tank and watching, sketching plans in my mind for whats going on next.

So here is the tank on the stand. I want a sump but i don't think it will fit on this stand. Plan is to redecorate my room in a week or two so i can move back into it before my brother gets back from uni.

Photo-0006-1.jpg

When the room is done i am going to put the tank on a table and make an on table refugium instead/bigger tank.

This made me smile when it arrived this morning.

Photo-0007-1.jpg

My red grape algae in a urine sample vile... NICE! I gave it a quick wash in some salt water i keep for top offs.

So you say you use salt water for top offs? thats bad you know

So you say you use salt water for top offs? thats bad you know

I say top off, i actually do a small water change daily, like 10% and refil her. I'm having no problems with SG atm so... I will keep an eye on it though! Cheers!

calebkdesign
Could you possibly i.d. it or is that a nigh impossible task?post-42686-1235176967_thumb.jpg

Fuzzy picture but looks like aiptasia

lots of info can be found on getting rid of these

Here is my new ricordia? At least i think its a ricordia, looks like one to me, but then again its not as bubbly as pics i am looking at on the net.

Photo-0013-2.jpg

i think your ric is a mini carpet nem, looks just like mine. ;)

Tank looks great though.

i think your ric is a mini carpet nem, looks just like mine. ;)

Tank looks great though.

Yeah i was a bit suspicious of that little guy. It seems to be doing ok. Would you recommend removing it from the bit of rock its on and place it on the sand? My blue/green/red mushroom is now on the sand i'm not sure whether a crab moved it or whether the flow did. I am going to have to get some putty as the GSP keeps moving off the rock i keep placing it on.

Any thoughts on what i could add this weekend? I am thinking that i would love to get a small red plating montipora but i may give it another month untill the tank is more established. My lfs doesn't really have any other zoa's that i like. I would also like a hammer coral, do you think i could manage one head?

I just looked at my pics and thought hmm where is the red grape in my tank now, its been dragged to the back and i caught my red legged hermit sitting by it. I think he may be eating the "grapes" as there appear to be none on the stem :( Atleast he's enjoying it! Ordered some halimeda and cheato today. Rescaped a bit as i had to move rocks to turn the powerhead (i found a dead zone at the front of the tank). So pics to come in the next couple of days.

Magnet Cleaner purchased, not small enough to go around one rock, but cracking for the rest of the tank, i can clean the on bit when i do water changes, was like going from tv to hdtv after removing that much algae! Well happy! LFS had lots of good stuff, can't wait for saturday for some purchasing! This will be the last week of purchasing for this tank until i get a job!

Nice tank... givng me lots of ideas for mine.

Keep the photos coming :-)

Cheers dave. My tank is pretty much same as yours but silver and half the volume!

Also. My red grape algae has all but gone. Eaten by something i found some remains by my powerhead, just the stalk. I am going to try and get a much bigger peice, maybe something with roots rather than a cutting.

Cheers dave. My tank is pretty much same as yours but silver and half the volume!

Half the volume?

I dont think theres much in it. Mines only about 6.5Gal(US) or 5.5 Gal(UK)

Half the volume?

I dont think theres much in it. Mines only about 6.5Gal(US) or 5.5 Gal(UK)

My appologies, i thought you were on 11.5 or 12, i don't know why i thought that :S I just moved the tank downstairs, weighed a ton, forgot about the added weight of rock and sand plus the expected weight of the water!

The pico now resides in the lounge, cut a deal with mum that it can stay downstairs if she pays for my r.o. unit a tub of salt of my choice and live sand for my 3' long which is going in my room once i've finished it. Managed to lose a bag of screws today for the bed so the room might take a little longer than expected! Nothing that i can't sort by sunday! (I hope) (Look out for the 3' long thread, coming soon)

hopefully some new additions tomorrow, i think there might be an addition by the form of a mothers day present, which i will have to witness the purchase of to make sure something silly doesn't happen like another fish, or a shrimp. I will hopefully be adding a mushy or two and another clump of gsp and maybe a zoa or two if i can get the man to throw one in for me.

Get some pics up when you get the frags.

Trip is going to be tomorrow, i couldn't get a lift back, going to try a diff store, never got marines from there before so will be interesting!

The 3' i was saving up for a marine tank is today being set up for some severums. I think they are getting broody and they seem to be annoying the acara. How ever once i have moved the sevs i will have the 40g free just for the acara, and i am trying to get a good price for the breeding pair. Which i will then spend on live rock to set the 40g up :)

Could anybody suggest some colours for my pico? I am looking to add some colour tomorrow. The tank is looking a bit too pink atm. I really want some hawk eye zoas but they are impossible to get over here but they are what i am looking for in terms of adding a multi coloured organism to the tank.

Ok so i didn't manage to get to the lfs today, lots of DIY and cleaning and cooking has kept me busy all day:( fortunately my water change was late this week so i did a 50% so water will be fine till tomorrow. Set up a new severum tank in my bedroom as well as making the unit, and a new bed.

So because i promised much last night and haven't provided i thought i would take some pics as a peace offering! I made a video too. I am unsure how to upload it though :S If anybody can help with that it would be awesome!

So here are the Zoas.

Photo-0036-2.jpg

The Greens are looking very healthy and are growing all the time! Hoping that they will have taken over their bit of rock over the next month.

Photo-0038-2.jpg

I'm not sure of the name of these, somebody suggested something lunar i think. Name is in my tag somewhere! These have been quite moody how ever seem to be settling in well now. Two polyps haven't opened but the rest have. Not sure whether to pic the other two off and place them on a different rock higher in the tank.

Here is what i was told was a rainbow ric, but i'm not sure if its a ric or an anemone. Anybody got any ideas?

Photo-0039-2.jpg

That xenia in the background was one single pulsing polyp not three weeks ago! I want it to split so i can have more to place along the top back rock, for now i am letting them grow where they are.

Here it is in its own photograph.

Photo-0042.jpg

Here is my neon green star polyp mat. The small heads weren't there when I got them so i am pretty excited about the growth of this.

Photo-0045.jpg

The purple blue shroom, its spreading larger all the time, how ever retracts alot also; is this natural?

Photo-0048.jpg

And finally one of the three hitch hiker sponges. I have two yellow and one red, i'm pretty excited about these as i've not seen any sponges in stores round here.

Photo-0052.jpg

Hope that makes up for no new stock, will be visiting an lfs tomorrow, hopefully shall return with a couple of bags!

In the words of porky pig, th the th the the thats all folks!

Looks really good man, how do you like em?

How do i like what sorry? I'm really tired after all the stuff i've gone these past few days. Need a day for my head to relax!

The new frags

Going tomorrow instead, i think the dates are diff in the U.S but it was mothers day today and my dad usually takes me the lfs for some bonding, but he said i should spend the day at home with mum instead. So i did some tank maintainence on my 40g Tropical tank which is now just a Blue Acara species tank for a while.

Tank is lookin sweet. Good work.

I'm liking it too, i really want a bubble tip anemone, but i know i can't really house that in this...I want some more zoa's.

The trip to lfs was postponed again till tomorrow. I performed a water test today and got the best readings i've had since i set the tank up. Seems the new rock addition is really hitting the spot.

Archived