Coral Vue Hydros

Ultimate LED guide

evilc66

jakob1980

I want to start off by saying this is an awesome guide. It has answered almost all my questions on LEDs. I do have one question though. I have a 20 long and Im just wondering what you would suggest for this tank. If this has been covered, Im sorry, I must have missed it. I would probably go 50/50 dimmable but Im not sure how many. I want to be sure and have plenty of light for anything. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

thank you for this .you do lots of work about this .help lots of people to know about led lights .and believe led lights will welcome a good market . :o

gimptastic matt

Hi guys im having a little trouble after stripping down some 3w gu10 leds and cant get power from the driver to the led

ive tested the curcuit and its fine powers going in just not coming out of the driver

Ok, so I'll be building a 14x3w LED setup soon and I want to keep it as clean as possible. My question is simple, can I use a 4-pin molex connector (like from a computer) for a quick disconnect from the leds to the drivers.

Here is what I am thinking...

QuickDisconnect.png

Then if I can find a six pin laying around here, I can wire in a fan as well.

Is that possible or will something happen? I can't see how it wouldn't be but just making sure.

• 2 weeks later...

New to reefing and DIY'ing. Here is my tank in the works. ####ty I-phone pic. Learning a lot. ..built a dimmable 3 CREE Royal Blue XT-E and 1 Cool White XP-G light. 2 Gallon Fluval Spec. I think I'm addicted..

23lgq43.jpg

Edited by Divine
  • 1 month later...

I would like some assistance. I have wired up the dimming circuit incorrectly on my Thomas Research driver (1-10v dimming). I am not sure if i have wired the 1-10v supply directly into the ground or wired the 1-10v with no ground attached ( i have a complex wiring circuit and have been caught out). The lights wont turn on now and i wanted to know if the circuit is fried. The lights did come on and dim up and down and flickered but then just turned off and stayed off. I fear the only solution is to buy a new driver. One option i thought was to wire in the 1-10v supply from the driver into the control wire and see if that gets the lights working?

Is it likely that the circuit would be permanently damaged if wired incorrectly?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, so I'll be building a 14x3w LED setup soon and I want to keep it as clean as possible. My question is simple, can I use a 4-pin molex connector (like from a computer) for a quick disconnect from the leds to the drivers.

Here is what I am thinking...

QuickDisconnect.png

Then if I can find a six pin laying around here, I can wire in a fan as well.

Is that possible or will something happen? I can't see how it wouldn't be but just making sure.

Yup its what i used!!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=308182

• 1 month later...
Kribensis_fish

Hello, i have a cube aquarium, is about 70 litres (40x40x45)cm. How many and which led's should i use ?

I want to have sps and lps corals.

Edited by Kribensis_fish
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello there, im new in this forum.

Im doing my LED lighting DIY.. and i have some questions.

9x CREE XM-L Cool White U2 LED

2x CREE XM-L Neutral White LED

3x CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED

2x Philips Rebel Cyan LED

2xViolet UV LED

ALL OF THEM WITH 80º DEGREE LENS

3x Mean Well ELN-60-27D dimmable driver

Im buying the reef stuff yet, but i have 250L.. (100cmx50cmx50cm)

Pretend to have LPS, zoans, and fishies.

What you thinks guys? More leds?

Someone have a good idea about the positions of the leds? the distribuction?

Thanks,

Vinicius

jedimasterben
Hello there, im new in this forum.

Im doing my LED lighting DIY.. and i have some questions.

9x CREE XM-L Cool White U2 LED

2x CREE XM-L Neutral White LED

3x CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED

6x CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED

2x Philips Rebel Cyan LED

2xViolet UV LED

ALL OF THEM WITH 80º DEGREE LENS

3x Mean Well ELN-60-27D dimmable driver

Im buying the reef stuff yet, but i have 250L.. (100cmx50cmx50cm)

Pretend to have LPS, zoans, and fishies.

What you thinks guys? More leds?

Someone have a good idea about the positions of the leds? the distribuction?

Thanks,

Vinicius

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311998

What about Led 30W cool white?

2 of them.. because i bought less leds that i real need.

I have 100x50x50 (Centimeter).

Im thinking to buy 2x 30W cool white.. and 10 Royal blue xm-L or something like.

Need more UV? Turquise?

jedimasterben
What about Led 30W cool white?

2 of them.. because i bought less leds that i real need.

I have 100x50x50 (Centimeter).

Im thinking to buy 2x 30W cool white.. and 10 Royal blue xm-L or something like.

Need more UV? Turquise?

Don't buy into the 'big multichip' LEDs, they're pretty terrible, and definitely don't use cool white. There are no high-powered royal blue LEDs until Philips releases the RB Luxeon M, but there is not even an ETA on them. Check out some of the threads in my sig for updated LED info.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't buy into the 'big multichip' LEDs, they're pretty terrible, and definitely don't use cool white. There are no high-powered royal blue LEDs until Philips releases the RB Luxeon M, but there is not even an ETA on them. Check out some of the threads in my sig for updated LED info.

Im wanting to make a DiY led fixture on my 48long 36wide 24 deep tank . Mixed corals mainly sps. Wanting dimmable is a must Im not wanting full spectrum just nutral whit and royal blue what would I need and how much would the cost be? Im lost in that part of all I would need. Any help would be great thank you for your time and yes I will post pics when i do it and have it working:)

jedimasterben
Im wanting to make a DiY led fixture on my 48long 36wide 24 deep tank . Mixed corals mainly sps. Wanting dimmable is a must Im not wanting full spectrum just nutral whit and royal blue what would I need and how much would the cost be? Im lost in that part of all I would need. Any help would be great thank you for your time and yes I will post pics when i do it and have it working:)

If you're not doing full-spectrum, then I would do a mixture of 4000K whites, royal blue, and cool blue. Roughly a 7:16:5 ratio of those [NW:RB:B]. You'll need a base of about 20-24x whites, and go from there.

I am in the process of selecting a color plan for my diy led. I am building this for a 180 gallon I will be installing in January. I want to build an LED system I can grow in to. I know I am going to get crap for this but I will be using Bridgelux 3w LEDs - just not willing to spend the money on CREE LEDs. Anyway, the tank is 72x24x24. I am planning on doing a about a 1.75:1 ratio RB:NW. This will be installed on a 48" heat sink. I would also like to incorporate violet, cyan, blue, and red to have a more complete spectrum. Just looking for some recommendations for quantities on each color. Thanks.