Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yellowtail Damsel in a Pico!?

FallenMonkey

Actually those little freshwater puffers can be acclimated to saltwater. I've done it before back in my FO days. But they're not reef safe and will nip and eat all the inverts in your tank for sure. :lol:

Actually those little freshwater puffers can be acclimated to saltwater. I've done it before back in my FO days. But they're not reef safe and will nip and eat all the inverts in your tank for sure. :lol:

The dwarf puffers or green spotted puffers?

I'm going to get a baby puffer fish!!

JUST KIDDING!!

Though, they do have those small 3/4 of an inch puffer fish that are freshwater. Too bad you can pop one or two of those little guys in a sw tank :P

The yellowtail damsel does seem like a very nice fish to have in a pico for color and peacefulness. Anyone have any opinions about chromis fish?

The small puffers are classed as a "brackish" fish and they come from estuaries etc so they can inhabit salt water. There are a few species of fish that are brackish, that can gradually move from a brackish tank to a full on tank. I've read of people doing this over a period of months slowly up-ing the salt conc.

El Fab- Cool, that's an interesting idea. Too bad they aren't reef safe. They are pretty darn cute.

Jamo- I did not know that. Awesome. I've heard about people slowly acclimating mollies and guppies to saltwater before for cheap and colorful 'saltwater' fish :lol:

Neena- I want a stingray too!!! Maybe later we can both get a nice 200gallon tank and a lovely sandbed for them :D They have the cutest tiny purple firefish at my lfs! I want I soo bad, but I don't have a lid for my pico yet and they do jump. I'm not so worried about the size, just the suicidal part. Also, I think a lid might heat up my tank.. we'll see.

Fallen- yeah, they get to about 3.5-4 inches from what i've read. Then again, so do most damsels. Maybe pico owners could get them, and see if they are happy in their tank. If they aren't, take them back.

I kept a yellow tail damsel in a JBJ picotope for over a year and he did well--the only other livestock in there were an astrea snail and a scarlet hermit. I definitely would not put more than one small fish in a pico.

I would say that of the damsels, the yellow tail is definitely the way to go. I would stay away from the domino damsels and the black and white striped ones (two stripe, three stripe, etc).

Yellow tails seem to remain smaller. In the big tanks that I've seen, the dominos, black and white stripes, and dominos can get huge. The yellow tails always seem to stay on the smaller side.

i have a yellowtail damsel also for over 6 month going strong but i still kept it small. it don't seem to be growing to fast plus i feed it once every other day. i definitel would recommended a yellow tail damsel but like Fab says: it should be your last resort on your mind on keep a fish in a small tank.

• 7 years later...

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread. I've read that the Springer, Talbot, and Azure damsels are peaceful types. They're all the same size or smaller than the Yellow Tail. Could 2 of either of these species be ok in 10g? Actually a 20 long with lots of rock?

Archived