SaltCritters.com

MH: How far from water?

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

I'm building my canopy for my 70w MH. The sand line to top of the water line is 12". How far from the water does the MH need to be?

Thanks!

As close as you can get it and be safe.

If you have livestock, be sure to acclimate them to the light before settling on how close to have it.

I raise mine about 8" off the water , so that my single halide spreads more across the 45g tank.

The closer it is to the water , the more I think heat will become a issue.

Deleted User 6
Good point, but in the end it's a trade-off.

Heat's definitely going to be an issue - I do plan to keep a clam in about a year or so on the sand bed. Does that mean it needs to be really close to the water?

Depends on the clam, how much you plan to feed and how clear your water will be (including color, not just cloudiness).

I wouldn't go more than 6" off the water and I would plan to have a fan (or two) to blow air through the canopy. It will increase evap, but it will keep your heat issues to a minimum.

how is it a tradeoff? wut do u get that is better by placeing it closer to the water?? mine is bout 8 inches offa 8-9 inches offa the water.

I would think greater intensity.

Maybe you loose some intensity over the 8" space between the tank.

Not sure how much though , or if it would even be noticable , since the light is traveling through air and not water.

how is it a tradeoff? wut do u get that is better by placeing it closer to the water??

You get more light into the tank because less misses it and you get more light to the bottom of the tank because you have less attenuation.

Light exponentially decreases in intensity as you move away from the source. You can reduce the exponent by using a good reflector, but you can't mitigate it altogether.

Archived