Top Shelf Aquatics

15 Gallon AIO Office Tank ADDED WEBCAM

hcsceo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yaaay!! PH is fixed. I overshot my KH so I'm going to raise my calcium and let them come down together. Everything looks much better now. Unfortunately my zoas have receded way back. The rock was covered with maybe 200-300 zoas and you couldn't see a single spec of the rock below it. Now it looks pretty bare. I probably have 100 heads left. The zoas are now responding well to the water and are open. Water is clear though not perfect but is moving along. I'll do more testing later in the week and update a photo.

Temp - 80

SG - 1.025

NH3 - 0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 0

PH - 8.3

KH - 13

Ca - 400

Mg - 1250

That mp10 will be so nice. I wish they werent so blasted expensive. I hope your zoas recover for you. Are you using a two part CA or just calcium?

That mp10 will be so nice. I wish they werent so blasted expensive. I hope your zoas recover for you. Are you using a two part CA or just calcium?

Yes the MP10 should be perfect, but honestly I kind of like the flow with just the MP1200 going. If I add it I will reduce my LocLine to just one fan pointing at the surface. At least I have options.

The Zoa's have recovered nicely. If you look at the Webcam you can see most of them are fully open now. I think perhaps I was dealing with a few issues. 1. I know the PH was definately an issue as a direct result of low KH. CA and Mg were low also but not horrible. 2. I think they got a little light shocked moving from my 36watt PC to the new T5HO. 3. They moved from H2Ocean salt to Instant Ocean. 4. Finally the tank was about 5 weeks old when I moved my stuff to the new tank.

I'm using DT's 2 part CA and ALK. I'm also dosing the part 3 Mg. I've been dosing at Max levels every two days till my levels are good then we will see what the maintenance dosages are going to be.

Every time you start a new tank you learn and get better. Starting off with so much dead rock on the rock wall really extends the time a tank needs to settle down after a cycle. This is my first time ever using so much dead rock with a new tank. Perhaps two months is a better starting point for tanks built this way. If I had to do it all again I would use the same salt at home and at work (I will do this soon anyway), I would have lowered my light cycle to like 4 hours the first week, perhpas waited another two or three weeks before moving my coral, and finally I would have got on top of the PH issue sooner. Anyway, all seems well. I'll do another batch of testing Monday. I suspect all my params will be good then. Water Clarity is getting better by the day.

Steve

Yes the MP10 should be perfect, but honestly I kind of like the flow with just the MP1200 going. If I add it I will reduce my LocLine to just one fan pointing at the surface. At least I have options.

The Zoa's have recovered nicely. If you look at the Webcam you can see most of them are fully open now. I think perhaps I was dealing with a few issues. 1. I know the PH was definately an issue as a direct result of low KH. CA and Mg were low also but not horrible. 2. I think they got a little light shocked moving from my 36watt PC to the new T5HO. 3. They moved from H2Ocean salt to Instant Ocean. 4. Finally the tank was about 5 weeks old when I moved my stuff to the new tank.

I'm using DT's 2 part CA and ALK. I'm also dosing the part 3 Mg. I've been dosing at Max levels every two days till my levels are good then we will see what the maintenance dosages are going to be.

Every time you start a new tank you learn and get better. Starting off with so much dead rock on the rock wall really extends the time a tank needs to settle down after a cycle. This is my first time ever using so much dead rock with a new tank. Perhaps two months is a better starting point for tanks built this way. If I had to do it all again I would use the same salt at home and at work (I will do this soon anyway), I would have lowered my light cycle to like 4 hours the first week, perhpas waited another two or three weeks before moving my coral, and finally I would have got on top of the PH issue sooner. Anyway, all seems well. I'll do another batch of testing Monday. I suspect all my params will be good then. Water Clarity is getting better by the day.

Steve

"only bad things happen quickly in this hobby"

Well everything looks fantastic in this tank. The water is crystal clear and things are very happy now. Since I'm working on the open source aquarium controller project I've had very little time to maintain my frag tanks at home at the level they deserve. Rather than see those tanks fail slowly, I've decided to shut them down and move everything to this tank since I am in front of it daily for 9 hours a day. I'll be moving my lps tomorrow. This includes three different acans, frogspawn, bubble coral, trumpet coral, pink maze, and a couple of others I don't remember right now. My mushrooms are also in this tank and I'll move them also. I'll give that a few weeks them move my softies over which is basically all Zoa's and my rics and my 6 line wrasse. Stay tuned I'll update pics soon.

Steve

Well everything looks fantastic in this tank. The water is crystal clear and things are very happy now. Since I'm working on the open source aquarium controller project I've had very little time to maintain my frag tanks at home at the level they deserve. Rather than see those tanks fail slowly, I've decided to shut them down and move everything to this tank since I am in front of it daily for 9 hours a day. I'll be moving my lps tomorrow. This includes three different acans, frogspawn, bubble coral, trumpet coral, pink maze, and a couple of others I don't remember right now. My mushrooms are also in this tank and I'll move them also. I'll give that a few weeks them move my softies over which is basically all Zoa's and my rics and my 6 line wrasse. Stay tuned I'll update pics soon.

Steve

Can't wait to see it all moved over :D!

OK got everything moved over today from my LPS tank. Everything is still stressed out and opening but you get the idea.

photo-15.jpg

Can I ask a dumb question? How did you attach the locline to the maxijet? Is there an adapter or something I can get from the hardware store? Thanks!

Can I ask a dumb question? How did you attach the locline to the maxijet? Is there an adapter or something I can get from the hardware store? Thanks!

Davey I used a threaded locline adapter that screws right into the bulkhead. On the maxijet side of the bulkhead I used a 90 degree barbed slip fitting that has a length of tubing going to the maxijet at the base of the sump. I got all the peices through Marinedepot. Hope this helps.

Steve

Looking better man.. I like the webcam. Can I ask how you do that? I have wanted to do that with my tank for a while but don't even know where to begin.

Looking better man.. I like the webcam. Can I ask how you do that? I have wanted to do that with my tank for a while but don't even know where to begin.

You can really use any webcam but the best ones are Network Security Cameras that have a built in web interface. This makes setup much easier. All you have to do is plug it into the network and open the ports in your router to point to it. Very easy to do. Hope this helps.

Steve

This tank is total crap but I'd thought I'd take another pic.

You're scaring me...I'm getting ready to do a 39 gallon build with a rock wall on two sides following your example. Do you regret doing the rock wall, or have you had problems with it?

LOL no I love this tank. I would only change one thing in the sump if I redid it. For this size tank I haven't seen one I like better. I'd marry it if I could, but that would be weird since I built it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to mounting my acans and a few more LPS. Here is a pic. Stuff is still opening but you get the idea. I've also removed one of the nozzles from my loc line so I only have one pointing to the surface and it creates a pretty nice swirl affect in the tank.

photo-18.jpg

I finally added my fish. It's been three months and I held off my coworkers as long as I could. I was at the local fish store and they had Soloman Island True Perc's for $12.75 The percs were very nicely colored with lots of black between the bars. One could pass for an Onyx. Unfortunately I bought one yesterday and liked it so much I went back for the other today and they are fighting like mad. Hopefully, they will grow to love each other.

While I was there I picked up a AOG frag, RPE frag, and orange ric for $10 each. I got them all mounted and they are nicely open. I still have one item to mount but I haven't found a good place for it yet. I'm pretty much done at this point. I have a few more frags at home to move over but they will just go on the walls. The last major item is a clam. The spot is waiting for him but I really need to get my tank to about 6 months before I put him in. I'll post pics soon.

Steve

Sweet! It's about time something started happening in here. Your build thread inspired me to build my tank and I have been checking this thread for updates.

I can't wait to see the new additions.

LOL. Yea I went really slow with this tank but lots has happened in the last two or three weeks. I'm really not a fish guy and would be happy without any but coworkers want to see fish and clowns are high on the list. The next person that asks me what that "plant" is will get a boot.

Haha, I like getting the plant question lol

I also am fine without fish in my tanks. I feel safer knowing that they aren't screwing up the water anyway.

Archived