Pod Your Reef

15 Gallon AIO Office Tank ADDED WEBCAM

hcsceo

I'm replacing my Picotope for a 15 Gallon AIO Build Thread Here Although I loved my picotope it just became too small and everyone wanted to see clownfish. Cycle started today.

Tank Specs

15 Gallon AGA Tank

Maxijet 1200

Hydor Theo 100 Heater

96watt T5HO

Koralia 1

Stocking Ideas

2 - Clownfish

1 - Yellow Watchman

1 - Pistol Shrimp

photo-6.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the stocking idea.

I have always been interested in the shrimp/goby relationship and I think this will be very cool. However do you think the sand is deep enough to support their lifestyle? They might try and try to bury under the rockwall, only to be disappointed.

And I had a pair of Black and White perculas that everyone absolutely adored because they looked liked nemo, but were a little more interesting in my opinion, and they would go well with the look of the tank!

Just my thoughts

WOW I toke a look at the Build Thread after I saw this post. I cant believe it. I think this is going to look Awesome. I have to say that I am Jealous. I want to see how this works out.

One important thing to remember LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES.

I like the stocking idea.

I have always been interested in the shrimp/goby relationship and I think this will be very cool. However do you think the sand is deep enough to support their lifestyle? They might try and try to bury under the rockwall, only to be disappointed.

And I had a pair of Black and White perculas that everyone absolutely adored because they looked liked nemo, but were a little more interesting in my opinion, and they would go well with the look of the tank!

Just my thoughts

Yes I'm hoping it'll be ok. You can't see in my pics but as I was building this tank I built a few caves around the base at sand level. Also, I do plan to add some LR on top of the sand in the next week to give them more areas to dig and play. The relationship with the goby and pistol is something I'm real anxious to see. I can't wait!

The B&W Clowns were high on my list until I saw the Onyx Clowns from Christos. I still haven't decided tho. The Onyx would give me the best of both worlds. I purposely left all exposed areas of the tank black so that it would set a picture inside the tank for all the color I'm planning. Honestly, the only reason I'm getting the clown's is for my coworkers. I was tired of them asking me why I didn't have a clown in my picotope.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and excitement. Hopefully we can get this thing cycled soon. I'm throwing my heater in right now and the tank has cleared some since last night.

Steve

im waiting for this!

a pair of true perculas would look nice in here, a frogspawn would really draw people to this tank, to see the clowns swimming in them, theyll love it!

Will there be a webcam on this one?

Great question. Well I'll give you a secret. There is a webcam on this one as we speak. I purchased a new camera that has PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) that allows the person using the equipment to move the head of the camera around remotely. This camera doesn't require a computer to run as it is self contained so I just plug the ethernet into it. It is also very high quality. The problem is 2 fold at this time... 1. The camera can swing 360 and you can see my entire office. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but because of the confidentiality of some of the projects I'm involved in I can't give this kind of access to the world. So I'm either going to have to build a shield that limits the view to only the tank or find another solution. 2. Because of the size of the tank I don't have a lot of room in front of the tank to allow for the camera to sit in front of it.

I have been toying with the idea of mounting a small waterproof camera to a miniature sub I have and writing a web function that would allow you to control where it goes in the tank. Right now the problem is the tank is too small and I'm afraid you guys might try and crack my tank by running it into the glass over and over again. also the props are exposed which could cause other issues running into livestock. The sub is about 3" long and the camera is the size of a lipstick tube so 15 gallons might be too small.

The last option is drilling a 1" hole into a peice of LR and mounting the camera into it. I could put that in my tank and you would get an inside view, I would be able to control privacy, and I won't have an unsightly camera sitting on my desk. The only downside is that I would have to clean it often. So I'm still tossed. I'll let you guys know for sure.

I talked with Erik at CristosClowns today and I think we have a deal for a pair of Onyx Clowns in 2-4 months. That is perfect timing with my tank cycle so I think this is the route I'll go.

Steve

you should just get a cam that cant move. or make a wooden sheild. and put it on there. and only hoave the cam runing when your not in the office but i deff wana see this lol

Tested ammonia and it is climbing. NO3 and NO2 still at 0. Still a ways to go. I'll retest again Monday. Once the tank cycles with the dead rock I have in it now I'll move the rocks from my picotope over. The only reason I don't move them now is that they are covered in corals and didn't want to have any loss.

I'm going to build a removable media tray with two levels to hold purigen and chemipure elite on lower level, and the upper level will hold filter floss. This along with the skimmer, LR, and waterchanges will be my filtration. For now I don't think I'll run any macro algae. If NO2 becomes a problem down the road I'll add them at that time.

I'm considering a Aquacontroller Jr. or the new Reefkeeper Lite. Haven't decided which yet. I'm leaning to the Aquacontroller as I'll be able to monitor it remotely on weekends and vacation.

Anyway, that's about it. I'll update again Monday.

Steve

Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm really excited about this tank.

OK first things first. I installed a glass top last Friday and did water testing today. This cycle is going to take forever I think as I haven't put any LR in it since all of mine is currently covered in corals.

NH3 2.0

NO2 Slight color change possibly .15

NO3 0

PH - not tested

Water is crystal clear

Next, I've placed an order with MD for some odds and ends that I need and that should be here in a couple of days.

Lastly, I've decided to get a Aquacontroller JR. I would like to get busy with SPS in this tank. I think I've got enough light and flow for it and the controller will help me get a calcium reactor going along with controlling my ATO, lights, heater, etc.

So that is this weeks update. I'll probably update again next Monday.

Steve

Added Loc-Line and Koralia 1. I've got the Loc-Line split so one is pointed at the surface. I love the flow of the Koralia but it really looks huge in the tank. I have a couple of Koralia Nano's at home, maybe I'll swap it out.

Diatom's are starting to dust things and the cycle is progressing.

photo-7.jpg

best rock wall ever! you going to put any live rock in there? or just the wall?

Yea all my LR is covered in corals so I'm going to let this cycle first then add it back one at a time. Almost everything on the right side will be rocks I think and kind of a zoa garden and LPS. I'm planning to hit it hard with the SPS also. I'm thinking one of the back corners up high would look really cool with some Cap Monti's. At least I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Gerber77 Posted Today, 02:37 PM

That is a great build, when that walls gets covered in frags its going to look amazing. Good job!

Thanks!!! I'm stoked over this build. Believe me I can't wait either :)

Steve

Well I decided to do some water testing. Things are moving along as expected with no problems with the tank design or waterflow. I'm still not happy with the Koralia 1 sticking way out but in 15 gallons there just isn't a better way I think. So I'm going to just have to live with it. I still need to build a media rack in the sump. I'm also adjusting the temp down as it was at 86 when I stuck a thermo in it. Heater is way off but it's at 82 atm and I'm still adjusting and fiddling with the lights off.

NH3 - 1.5 (heading down)

NO2 - 1.0 (heading up)

NO3 - 5.0 (heading up)

Archived