inTank Media Baskets

Nuisance Algae Guide

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

are you sure it is dinos and not calothrix? (Is is all slime and goop or does it have some degree of turf to it?) I need to update this thread...I am also going blind Nick, does the algae that shoots up like a stalk neomeris like? I am having trouble making it out. The rest seems to be GHA

Edited by johnmaloney
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
johnmaloney

after thinking about it, let it grow some and then send an updated pic. I did find a close picture, but no name on that algae. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
johnmaloney

nerites do, but the work is slow. hermits do but the work is slower and chitons do a great job but they are just slow animals. :) Red turf algae, (usually a ceramium species, or similarly related genus) usually need microscopes to pin down, but they are all edible, (which is good news), and almost impossible to manually remove with success. Brushing helps get it off the rock, but it spreads it. Dental picking a rock outside of the tank helps a lot. They generally grow better under warmer temperatures, but still grow at a decent pace without. Hard fight, how much do you have? (It could also be Lyngbya, a genus of cyano, lots of things actually...)

do you know what this is ???

DSCN0868.jpg

any update on this now that it is more mature?

Edited by johnmaloney
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the nastiest species of algae i think any man has come into contact with, although i am starting to win the battle, tips would be nice. Its a species of caulerpa that has a thin strand then elongated leaves off of it. It has rhizomes every centimeter or so, so it is so hard to remove. A major pain indeed.

lately i really got on it with chaetomorpha and fat WCs, as well as nearly impossible manual removal.

Deleted User 6

I've got some dictyota that's wreaking havoc in my tank right now - two varieties, the blue tips and the bigger "leaves". I know you said decorator crabs eat it. Anything else that wouldn't then destroy my corals?

Edited by DHaut

sorry I got nothing for you (that is nano sized). I do my best to keep it out of my tanks, so I don't even experiment. I have gotten lazy about that as well. I used to run an experiment tank isolated from everything, but things are so busy these days I don't have the time. They are really spider crabs, I can look up the species name. If you could QT the corals, he would literally finish the job in an evening, and then off to the LFS...but that is all i got for you that would live in that size tank. Have you tried mexican turbos?

fosi - i made a small update here yesterday, I wish the formatting was in html...are you Dr. Fosi yet? Or still in the peer review process? A toxicologist friend of mine was going through that, wow, that is scrutiny!

Edited by johnmaloney
...are you Dr. Fosi yet? Or still in the peer review process?

Neither. :(

I just finished counting bacteria from samples I took back in July and I have pigment samples yet to process. I think I'll have all my summer data by the end of next week and then I'll know if I have something worth a paper or not.

Deleted User 6

Can I call you Diggity Dr. Fosi?

John, haven't tried turbos. Not sure where to find them around here, to be honest. If you remember the name of those spider crabs, let me know. I don't have hardly any coral in the tank right now so if I'm going to buy a guy that nukes the dictyota, I need to do it now. It came in on my sealife inc. rock. I spent 30 min. last night harvesting it. I had enough for a human-sized salad when I was done.

• 5 weeks later...

does anyone know why the first post is so out of whack? I can't figure out the formatting. I updated it from my website which uses php and html, so maybe that would help? I just can't figure it out...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cowkid! I just picked up a pep shrimp last night, and the guy at the LFS threw in a branch of something that looked just like the pics you just posted. When I asked, he told me it was red grape caluerpa, slow growing. From your pics, I'm sure I made the right call when I opted to toss it and not put it in my tank. :huh:

You should leave those in the water and take pics... It makes it easier to ID them.

First one looks like Acanthophora spicifera. Take look at this post (most of the way down) and see if the red algae there looks like what you have.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Edited by Mr. Fosi