Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nuisance Algae Guide

johnmaloney

The Rainy Day Aquarium
23 hours ago, msayler said:

This is giving me fits. Nothing seems to work on it. I'm having a hard time indentifing it. Any ideas?

It grows in mats on my sandbed and in clumps on my rock.

I have the same stuff in my tank. I believe it's a type of Valoniaceae (bubble algae) although the specific species is unclear to me. If it's a bad infestation, you might try a product that I've sworn off call Vibrant as it claims to deal with bubble algae and many people have success with it. Vibrant has crashed my tank twice now so obviously your mileage will vary on how effective it is lol.

• 1 month later...
Kellie in CA

I have an algae right now that looks light brown in color, and isn't too noticeable unless the sand is disturbed.  It is causing the sand to clump up.  I have never seen anything like this.  

I did have Dinos about 6 months ago, but they were totally different in appearance.    Any ideas?  

johnmaloney

Do you have a picture by any chance? Is the sand becoming hard, like it is solidifying, or is it just clumping with the algae?

Kellie in CA
14 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

Do you have a picture by any chance? Is the sand becoming hard, like it is solidifying, or is it just clumping with the algae?

I will try to take one tonight.  The sand isn't hardening. it comes apart fairly easily if messed with. It's just becoming clumpy because of the light brown algae.  I did 3 gallon water changes the last two nights, and vacuumed half of the sand bed each time.  Seems to be improving somewhat.  I may just be over feeding.  

Kellie in CA

This looks brown to my eye but photographs green. When taking this I noticed some tufts moving in the current. It’s on the sand only, and loves to gather around and under the corals on the sand. Any ideas?  

415C3E7D-54AD-47AF-861A-9A3F68DC10C5.jpeg

Minireeftank

Not sure what type of algae this is, from the description it seems maybe it’s cyno but not 100% sure, corals aren’t as out as usual but the tank otherwise seems fine, anyone have any idea as to what this is, what could cause this or how I could go about removing it? I use vibrant aquarium cleaner and do water changes weekly image.thumb.jpg.2a6dad5adc1568ef590251d5e4a7d60f.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3baf6e1046892fb30bb6b620bdeea27f.jpg