Coral Vue Hydros

Biorb Life 60 Marine

waterat4

DSC00312.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

Mini Nem!!!!

This isn't an mini carpet nem, it is a unknown "Bornemen Nem" vary rare and allot nicer there is about 5 ppl on here who have them and only 2 of us who know how rare keep him safe and happy.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi pheallox,

I didnt know I had said it was a mini carpet nem??? as far as I knew it was "Phymanthus muscosus"

the LFS I got them from has no idea what they are and so I get him very cheap!! they still have two more and I may be tempted to acquire the other two!!

By the way Pheallox, what and how often do you feed yours? there is very little on the net about these creatures!! so any advice would be very helpful in its care

I stumbled upon your topic on a random google image search and its inspired me. I think your tank looks brilliant!

I'll be keeping a close eye on how you develop it, and hopefully it will help me in my intended future foray into keeping saltwater fish (I'm a freshwater fishkeeper with circumstances that prevent me from setting up a tank that is going to be particularly permanent.)

just read the whole LED thing. and your problem was that the heat sinks didn't have any where to put there heat. they were enclose in the tank. so not much air flow. what you needed was a fan blowing in and out at the top. but looks like you solved your problem. so to sum all that up. your problem was not enough air flow.

It was probably a good thing that I had the problems because I have learned a lot from the whole experience, when I have a bit of spare money I will redo the LED lighting fixture using a single bigger heat sink plus I will use better quality LED's it really does make a difference not to use the cheap crap from china or hong kong

I'm considering trying a much smaller version of this tank (sort of) for my first SW tank. I'm toying around with ideas at the moment and not doing anything particularly quickly but I like your set up!

Hi Pea

If this is going to be your first SW tank go for the bigger volume in the biorbs, biube, or the life, 60L is about the minimum I would like to go, also space is very very tight in these tanks, having a smaller size may make things very difficult, now this isnt saying that you shouldn't follow your idea and make a beautiful SW tank using a smaller version of mine, just be warned that it will be more difficult, be prepared for some cursing and swearing, placement of corals can be a little fiddly, I advise buying small frags and letting them grow into the tank, epoxy putty will one of your best friends in a tank like ours and for god sake be patient!

• 2 weeks later...
nickmallinson

Hi waterat4,

Firstly I would like to commend you on a job well done. Your tank looks amazing!! You should send pic's to reef-one! :-)

I myself, have just recently bought a life p60 and are thinking to go down a marine root similar to yourself, though may keep it fish only, as my knowledge of lighting/leds are certainly not a patch on yours. I'm a relative newbie to marine as this will be my first marine tank - yet I'm 100% up for the challenge and hard work. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions with regards to your tank/setup.

My plan is to keep the ceramic material which came with the biorb life tank, and place that on the bottom of the tank, then add live rock. I have been told that due to the properties of the ceramic and the liverock that I can remove the filter sponge from the tank. Is this true. I noticed you are using two deep mud beds at either side. Do you think I will need these?

Also, your airstone. I'd love to be able to fill my tank with as much live rock as posible, like yourself yet am intrigued with how your going to replace it - your airstone that is?

If you have any suggestions/ideas that would be great mate.

Many thanks for your time - and again well done!

Firstly, Carinya & nanoDarth, thank you very much for the words of encouragement!! and nanoDarth I still remember your words of support for my ideas when I first posted the biorb life pic on here before starting my thread, once again I thak you.

Secondly, nickmallinson, thank for the shout out, not sure its good enough to show reef one yet but im getting there!

in the set up my first bit of advice is to ditch the ceramic media, why wait to seed this if you can buy a couple of kg of extra live rock to replace it, brimming with life?? I know it seems a waste but it really will be worth it.

Ditch the sponge for definite, bit of a waste of time if we are going SW, deep mid bed are just to add a small amount of anaerobic bacteria, im not getting masses in there i know but some is better than none, also its a really good place to breed and cultivate ur unseen basic CUC, worms etc but you done have to have it if you going fish only, but in a few months you will be getting the coral itch and then finding it hard to mod after you have filled it full of water and fish!

Stock levels!!! keep as low as possible this tank is only really big enough for one fish, two at a max.

Now the Air stone is a tricky one! in had to come up with something to get round this problem.

Basically what I do is to drill a fine hole into the top of the biorb Air stone and thread a piece of strong fishing line through it, so I can retrieve the airstone when its time to change it, then using a spare aluminum rod from a 12v track lighting system, with a drawing board pin glued onto the end, I spike the air stone through the top and then using the rod thread the airstone down the uplift tub, it a little fiddly but it works, tomorrow I will mock up some pics and take some photos to show you how.

If you can get the light in the right place at through the front of the tank it shine on the nipple that the airstone goes on, and you can sort of see what your doing, by the way all this has to be done with the air pump off!

hope this helps, more tomorrow with pics!

cheers

its really simple get the correct power supply from ebay then get a CCTV 4 into 1 splitter then wire them up, the splitter means each led is in parallel, so just watch that when making your choice of power supply

the most important thing is the heat sink got to be big enough to cope with the heat from these babies.

If I had to do the lighting again I would use different LED's those one are bright but they give out massive heat, they are not very efficient, I would go with some cree or luxon leds, much more efficient!

cheers Jordan

nickmallinson

Hi, Thanks for your suggestions waterat4. I've recently been busy with a bristle worm problem. A 5-6inch worm came out of one of my live rocks. Quite a scary looking thing. Couldn't get it out as it kept scurrying back into rocks. Anyway, finally I was able to trap it with a net. Good bye Mr Bristle worm! I've kept the smaller worms as I've read that they are good for the tank.

I just have a question with regards to the filter. A few shop keepers say that I need to keep the filter in and replace it every 4 weeks or so. They kept saying this will catch the waste from the fish, otherwise if I removed it where would it go. I told them that I thought that was what the live rock and cuc were for, but they were fairly adamant that I was wrong! To be fair, I still tend to believe what I read on forums (i.e. you) more than someone in a shop trying to make money out of me! If I do remove the sponge, I presume I also need to remove the black bits as well? Would you say that I don't need any filter at all as long as I have sufficient live rock?

Hi nickmallinson,

all the sponge is for is mechanical filtration, if you have enough live rock and the right CUC you really dont need this, it does take longer for particulate matter to fall out of the water column, well it does in mine, having the Vortech MP40 on about 25-30 created a lot of flow and it takes a while for things to settle out of the flow, just bare it in mind when doing things like water changes or maintenance the your fish and corals may be a bit pissed longer than usual due to the matter floating round in the tank.

If you stock small reef dwelling fish you shouldn't have any problems with messy eating (generating waste) also keep the stocking levels low, think of how many fish you would like then half it, these tanks look great but they are not the best for space or stocking levels.

I would also recommend using a higher flow than usual this seems to help with the oxygen levels and algae, which always a bonus!!!

I will see what I can do this weekend, I havn't really had the money to put into the tank so nothing new in there at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

i have the perfect tool for removing the air stone its called a grab pick up tool you can get them from any good tool suppliers

it has a spring loaded claw/grip on the end which you can drop down and grip the stone then put new one back in, it works a treat

love what youve done and am hoping to follow suit

wouldnt you think that reef one would get on top and make an upgraded led set up for this tank

wonder if it could be done?

• 4 weeks later...

Im feeling quite depressed atm, lol. I am soon to be getting a Biorb Life 30 in white, hoping to set it up as a marine nano. Ive had experience with marine fish in the past, both nano-sized tanks and larger and done very well, but Im reading so many people saying not to use biorbs as nanos, it depresses me :(

I was thinking along the lines of some small soft coral frags and a small fish, and perhaps a few snails. The one thing Im not capable of doing (and this is the worrying part considering it will be a biorb) is moding tanks. I darent go near such an expensive tank with a drill or with silicone :(

image_74074.jpg

Also, the supplied led system.. does it allow for a heater unit wire and powerhead wire to pass through? That's another thing that worries me...

Sorry for almost hijacking your thread, waterat4. You are the only other person Ive seen using a biorb life as a nano (and even then its bigger than the one I will be getting)

• 7 months later...

Hi m8,

Not sure if your still observing the forum, but will try anyhow...

I have just bought a BiOrb Life p60 same as yours- its just about to go marine!

What tips or advice can you give. I plan to have a few low-light corals, CUC, pair of clowns, pijama fish maybe. I like the lawn mower blennie and jawfish, so was thinking of removing the filter and ceramic media and putting in some sand...

What do ya think?

Regards

Kev(UK)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PROCESS BEGAN!!!....

Check out my BiOrb conversion and the problems I am facing.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...l=biorb+life+60

post-50278-1265110654_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hello all im back, but I think it will be a while before I some new pics on line much has changed in the tank, notably of which is the lack of any life! I put this down to two things my neglect and dodgey stock from a not too reputable supplier!! one massive crash later lots of swearing and not much left in the tank, his hobby is full of massive highs and lows!

post-41274-1266948231_thumb.jpg

Archived