Coral Vue Hydros

Biorb Life 60 Marine

waterat4

I will try to take some more tonight after Ive done the tests, the misses going out tonight so im allowed to play with the tank as much as I like!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight's Readings:

Temp: 77F

Salinity: 1.025

Ammonia: 0.0 mg/l

Nitrite: 0.8 mg/l

Nitrate: 50.0 mg/l

PH 8.3

It looks like the nitrites have just peaked and are on the way down but I will wait for Friday and Saturdays reading to confirm that, I have one small question for you experts out there, why are my nitrates dropping???? I haven't done any water changes yet only topping off approx 300 - 500ml per day.

Has the anaerobic part of my tank (deep mud beds) kicked in far more rapidly that I expected, or do we all think this is a spurious result??? Im not complaining of course, I would just like to know the cause!

Any advice/information would be appreciated!

Here are the pics I promised JBM, now im not great with the camera so you will have to forgive me, I also need some advice about one of the hitchhikers

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

Im not sure what the polyp is next to the clam/filter feeder, ive never seen any thing like it before, it seems to have a mouth but the tentacles are very very thin like hairs and each one has a white sphere on the end of it I have watched it retract before as a normal zoanthid would but it doesn't seem to have the same arrangement of tentacles which seem to radiate a large distance proportionately to the main body size, it looks..... dare I say it like juvenile anemone, im sure im wrong about that but it would be nice to know what it is and if its safe?

Hitch.jpg

Sorry about the crappy camera work!

Right tonight's reading:

Temp: 77F

Salinity: 1.025

Ammonia: 0.0 mg/l

Nitrites: 0.1 mg/l

Nitrates: 8.0 mg/l

PH: 8.5

all the readings look good so far, im still a little confused as to why the Nitrates should be dropping, as of yet I haven't done any water changes, is it the deep mud beds, the amount of live rock (12kg) im at a lost as to why its dropping so rapidly, im not complaining though!

Right today has been a good day, did my cycle tests which all came back good, so I went to the LFS and got my first bits of my CUC, got 5 red legged hermits, 5 turbo snails and one Porcelain Crab, that little guy is lovin it in the vortech flow, will see what my prams are next weekend and may get my first fish, think im going to get a green clown goby.

Next thing goin into the tank I think is some chaetomorpha, need a bit of a nursery for my pods :)

Been ill recently but im getting better now, so tonight I will be starting the extra lighting, not sure if this ok to put in this thread or if I will get my hands slapped, so tonight after I have tested I will take some pics of the new residents and what im up to with the lights. See you all later! :happy:

Looks good.... who am I kidding GLAD I DIDNT GET ONE OF THOSE!

good luck with it though! (no offense it just looks really odd and we are allowed to have opinions)

Mine probably looks ugly to you now :-P

5968463-sm.jpg

We can still be friends I hope!

And I hope you get better bro.

Thats harsh fella........but each to his own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that stuff...... do you have any pic of ur tank so I can see it?

What is it about the tank that you don't like so much, im open to critique!

Found your tank, it looks good, just not my cup of tea, sorry

Here are some more photos as promised:

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

not much to look at but I know but when I get the extra lights on, the live stock will get better!

cheers

Tomorrow I get the first fish!!!

only having two or three, a couple of green clown gobies and maybe a neon goby, do the green clown gobies have to both go in at the same time to stop squabbling or can I introduce one at a time at later intervals??

any way here is a FTS

DSC00210.jpg

Went to the LFS this weekend and got myself a single yellow goby he was the last one and seemed to be rather skittish as he was in a tank of far larger fish yellow tangs, a sail-fin tang and a few anthias all whizzing around, so I picked him up for about £5, he has gone into the tank and is settling in nicely, he was a bit scared at first but he has taken food today and is looking a little more confident, hopefully he will be perching on the rock work soon.

So here are this weeks readings after a week of the CUC being in and a feed of the new fish:

Temp: 76F

Salinity: 1.023

Ammonia: 0.1 mg/l

Nitrite: 0.1 mg/l

Nitrate: 8.0 mg/l

Ph: 8.3

KH: 200 mg/l

Iron: 0.0 mg/l

Po: 1.0 mg/l im at a loss to know where this is coming from, and my cause a problem when I increase the lighting, maybe its coming from the salt, instant ocean??

Ca: 550 mg/l

I may do a quick water change mid week to keep on top of the nutrients!

I have also been working on the extra lighting over the weekend, much to the disgruntlement of my better half!

so when the brackets come mid week I will get them mounted in the tank and run them for the first time this weekend, after the last disaster with the extra lights I want to be there incase anything happens!

EXTRA LIGHTING:

DSC00213.jpg

Bent the left and right side heat sinks

DSC00214.jpg

Place the led, mark and drill hole for wiring

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

Thermal Adhesive

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

Wire them up!

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

Testing

DSC00221.jpg

Placement of LED's on the front centre heat sink

DSC00224.jpg

Stick and drill

DSC00225.jpg

All three together

DSC00227.jpg

Mark and score Glass

DSC00228.jpg

Snap and sand glass

At this point I had to edit how I was going to mount the glass, I was going to drill and screw into place, but I went through two pieces of glass trying that! even using a glass cutting bit, it was just too thin and any sort of pressure would shatter the glass, so I went to plan B, epoxy!!!!

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

Glass mounted on the left and right side heat sinks

DSC00230.jpg

lass mounted on the front centre heat sink

DSC00232.jpg

Testing all four led's

the front glass is cold enough to touch even after they have been on for 10 mins, the heat sinks really do their job very well.

Now I know Im going to get told that this is probably a crap way to do it, im sure there are much better way of doing it, this is just my way ;) so we'll see how they work in the tank when the brackets get mounted!

let me know what you all think im sure I've missed something very basic and obvious!

cheers :D

cheers, he was really very jumpy when I first put him in, my tank has a lot more movement then the tank at the LFS, I think its going to be about a week before he's bold enough to be out in the open on a regular basis.

On the DIY thing I carn't take all the credit, alot of the work was done for me, the power supply way straight off ebay and I dropped onto a CCTV splitter on ebay to saved me having to make my own parallel circuit!

the hardest bit was cutting the glass! :lol:

Just to show you all how the extra lighting is getting on, the brackets came yesterday so I have been fixing them to the heat sinks and giving the lights a little test to make sure nothing silly happens like last time!

DSC00234.jpg

This is how the lights will be suspended from the roof of the tank

DSC00235.jpg

I will get a new shot of the tank over the weekend, lights are out now so you all wouldn't see very much!

Had a real disaster today with the extra lighting!! long story short the heat sinks were too hot for the rail system and it started to bend and melt it! this time i was watching so no harm done but it means its back to the drawing board for the extra lighting, I did get some pics while it was working so i can see how powerful the LED's are!

DSC00238.jpg

Extra lights in situ

DSC00251.jpg

Working

DSC00239.jpg

FTS

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

new resident "stewie" ......... don't ask it was my girl friends idea to call him that

Im now working on Mark III for the extra lighting, I have found a way I can increase the size of the heat sinks but it means not having the lighting in the tank so I loose some of the esthetics of the tank but I also get all of the heat and the problems out of the tank too!

I will get some pics of mark III up tomorrow after Ive been to the LFS

Thank you, I was contemplating giving up on the extra lighting and going with the stock but I've given it one last try and I think I've cracked it!! its a little ugly until I get a cowling made, but I seems to work just fine with all the heat out of the tank, looks like "Reef One" had already done the hard work for me!

here are a few pics of Mark III

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

It will all look a lot better once I have made the cover!

Let me know what you all think

Cheers

NEW PICS!

DSC00267.jpg

Stewie!

DSC00263.jpg

FTS with latest version of lighting

th_MOV00269.jpg

I have just found this little guy?? not sure what sort of Nudi it is any body got any ideas on an ID

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

Cheers

The closest thing I can find is this?? but it seems to originate from colder waters??

Janolus cristatus

10298jpg.jpg

what do you all think?

Archived