Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drilling Live Rock

itzclayyo

Hey, I decided that I want to drill the lr in my 135 to make the aquascaping. I have about 100 lbs of fiji/ tonga shelf and I am gonna order about 20 more pounds soon. I have a drill, but what bit should I use?

If you have a tutorial or pictures or an article on it that would be great. Should I use pvc to make a base and just use pvc to make the design? Thanks.

PVC is good but it requires a large hole as it is big and it is easier to crack your rock. I recommend 1/2" acrylic rod or 3/4" I just used a big rock for the base and used the correct sized masonry bit...

here are some photos and description when I did mine

one recommendation I got from Greg Carrol, which I ignored :( was not to build your rock structure any higher than 1/2 way up the tank. i am currently facing a problem with corals running out of room to grow and will have to tear the tank down and re structure within a year :(

hopefully RC will let this link stay up.... lots and lots of pillars here

PVC is good but it requires a large hole as it is big and it is easier to crack your rock. I recommend 1/2" acrylic rod or 3/4" I just used a big rock for the base and used the correct sized masonry bit...

here are some photos and description when I did mine

one recommendation I got from Greg Carrol, which I ignored :( was not to build your rock structure any higher than 1/2 way up the tank. i am currently facing a problem with corals running out of room to grow and will have to tear the tank down and re structure within a year :(

hopefully RC will let this link stay up.... lots and lots of pillars here

Thanks for the help. I just found a masonry bit that should do it. I was thinking pvc because of all the fittings you can get, such as elbows, t's, etc.

Hi there, I have just milled mine too, I used the manual approach though, I used my dads old brace and bit, you will need an extra pair of hands the hold the rock, the large diameter bits put quite a bit of turning force on the rock so ur helper will need a tight grip.

link to the brace and bit, im sure you can get these over in the USA, its just to show what im talking about, you can get anything up to a 3" bit for this type of tool!!

That should be more than enough for your PVC idea.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAPENTERS-RATCHET-BR...A1%7C240%3A1318

Here is the link to my live rock pillar!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186698

Well today I messed around with some pvc I had and came up with sort of a design. It's made of 1/4 pvc, a bunch of elbows, t's etc. I had all of this lying around my garage, so this is not final. I don't know if it will be sturdy enough though. Is there anything I should use to replace pvc cement to help enforce it? I was thinking maybe silicone, or aquamend putty.

Please help, thanks. I made something sort of like this.

rockframe.jpg

The pieces it needs to hold are fairly large, so I definately think re-enforcement is needed.

Do you guys think silicone would work well to hold the pvc together? What kind of silicone would I need? Just any or is there a specific brand I should get?

holding pvc fittings?? silicone wont last, its just too pliable. use medium pvc cement and some clear primer. you dont want your posts to come apart and rock crashing onto your glass...

holding pvc fittings?? silicone wont last, its just too pliable. use medium pvc cement and some clear primer. you dont want your posts to come apart and rock crashing onto your glass...

Would pvc cement be safe to use under water? The last thing I want is dead fish from pvc cement.

Would pvc cement be safe to use under water? The last thing I want is dead fish from pvc cement.

no, PVC cement is just fine, however there are many silicons that are not safe for your tank :(

no, PVC cement is just fine, however there are many silicons that are not safe for your tank :(

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to get started!

One more question:

I got a masonary drill bit that's 4" and some of my rocks are thicker then that. Should I try to drill it from both sides and meet half way or...? Is there another better way. Thanks again.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but threaded nylon rod works awesome. I used it and nutted it after every piece of rock, the stuff is super strong, aquarium safe, and can be bent if your holes don't line up exactly. Smallparts.com has good prices on it and they ship fast.

threaded nylon rods is an awsome idea! since i didnt know about that i used the handle for closing blinds i got at home depot. i used it as pegs though not as a skeleton.

Thanks for all the replies and help. For those who have used the pvc or acrylic rod method, did you find it easier to use smaller rocks or larger ones? The majority of my rocks are 9"+ wide, I would think it would be easier to use smaller sized rocks.

Thanks for all the replies and help. For those who have used the pvc or acrylic rod method, did you find it easier to use smaller rocks or larger ones? The majority of my rocks are 9"+ wide, I would think it would be easier to use smaller sized rocks.

Also, what would be the best way to keep my rocks as live as possible? How long do you think I should wait for the pvc cement to cure? I really am dieing for this cycle to end, I would hate to have to have another cycle.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but threaded nylon rod works awesome. I used it and nutted it after every piece of rock, the stuff is super strong, aquarium safe, and can be bent if your holes don't line up exactly. Smallparts.com has good prices on it and they ship fast.

+1 for Smallparts.com

your rock should be fine for a few hours(if it is not real hot out), if you are worried you can get a spray bottle and keep them moist

Archived