SaltCritters.com

When I move to a larger tank...

here fishy fishy

here fishy fishy

I will ordering a 39 CAD signiture soon to replace my 12 gallon tank. I've been told I should just be able to shuffle everything over, and to use my old sand so I'm not having to cycle the tank. I would be adding some new sand (live bagged or live from the LFS tanks) and some cured live rock, of course. I've heard horror stories about old sand beds releasing toxins/ammonia/nitrates. I'm worried about making this switch. Its a big jump, so lots of new water and rock. Would my best bet be to buy new live (REAL live, not from a bag) sand and not use my old stuff? Would using new live sand, my old live rock and some new cured live rock (I may buy this and get it in a QT this weekend), prevent a cycle? I would rather not wait for a new tank to cycle, I'm upgrading now because my 12 is acrylic and is getting little cracks in the back wall.

Thanks!

I just moved my RSM to a new home and used ALL new sand.

Save about a cup of your old sand and use it to seed the new. Your rock is where most of your fauna is so replacing sand is not that big of a deal. Plus, once you stir up the sand it's usually a mess!

When you seed it take the old sand and place it in little piles around the tank on the new. Do not bury it or try to spread it around. You will have a nice fresh sandbed to start off with.

here fishy fishy

Thanks!!

I just moved my RSM to a new home and used ALL new sand.

Save about a cup of your old sand and use it to seed the new. Your rock is where most of your fauna is so replacing sand is not that big of a deal. Plus, once you stir up the sand it's usually a mess!

When you seed it take the old sand and place it in little piles around the tank on the new. Do not bury it or try to spread it around. You will have a nice fresh sandbed to start off with.

I've heard such good things about the 39 sigs. what was your experience?

you should be fine if you move everything. if your old sand bed is a DSB then it will be bad to put in the new tank. so i would say. get new sand(in a bag) and just put like half and hand full or your old sand or just let the old rock you have seed it.

I've heard such good things about the 39 sigs. what was your experience?

PM me and i will tell you, i am not allowed to post about it as I got a refund.

Archived