Cultivated Reef

mesh mod on cadlights-Wow!

elaw62

I have always fought getting my skimmer adjusted properly on my cad 39 sig. series. It seemed to pump too much water too fast to get a fine pearly mixture of bubbles & as a result even with valve wide open it would overflow cup or at best I would get a very lite tea colored skimate. I was about to break down & buy the Tunze Nano skimmer when I decided to try mesh mod first. What a difference. Now I get a nasty dark skimate & have to empty cup every 3 days. I also built some little egg crate shelves that I hang on overflows & run filter floss. ATO is also hooked up now & working wonderfully. After hurricane Ike I let my tank run down a little because I was so busy. it sure is good to be getting it back in shape. I had a bad algae outbreak I believe derbesia so I'm raising Mg up & it seems to be dying off rapidly.

I have always fought getting my skimmer adjusted properly on my cad 39 sig. series. It seemed to pump too much water too fast to get a fine pearly mixture of bubbles & as a result even with valve wide open it would overflow cup or at best I would get a very lite tea colored skimate. I was about to break down & buy the Tunze Nano skimmer when I decided to try mesh mod first. What a difference. Now I get a nasty dark skimate & have to empty cup every 3 days. I also built some little egg crate shelves that I hang on overflows & run filter floss. ATO is also hooked up now & working wonderfully. After hurricane Ike I let my tank run down a little because I was so busy. it sure is good to be getting it back in shape. I had a bad algae outbreak I believe derbesia so I'm raising Mg up & it seems to be dying off rapidly.

Can you post a pic of the back of your tank and your mesh mod I just got a 12 gal cadlights and I'm toying around with ideas on how to set it up. I'm think a media rack of some sort

Can you post a pic of the back of your tank and your mesh mod I just got a 12 gal cadlights and I'm toying around with ideas on how to set it up. I'm think a media rack of some sort

I'll post some pics sometime this weekend. I had a brain f--rt, the algae I've been eliminating is bryopsis.

Pictures please! :happy:

I'll post some pics sometime this weekend. I had a brain f--rt, the algae I've been eliminating is bryopsis.

Are you getting a handle on it? Not many things will eat it, and those that do won't work in a 39g tank unfortunately. :( If you haven't gotten a handle on it, raise up your Mg to 1600 and after a couple weeks it should be gone. Good luck!!

ATO reservoir is a 4gal. mason jar. Since there is no room in cabinet & I wasn't going to hide it & I wanted something that isn't going to be too bad of an eye sore. Tank is bad enough at present :angry:

post-35352-1235146435_thumb.jpg

here's a pic of female clown in sebae anemone I've had for over 3 yrs. somehow I didn't lose the anemone or clam

post-35352-1235148021_thumb.jpg

here's what Im up against. you can see the ugly stuff around orange cap & birdsnest

post-35352-1235148156_thumb.jpg

sorry about the bad pics, only have a cheap point & shoot

here fishy fishy

Theres no room in that cabinet for an ATO container?

ATO reservoir is a 4gal. mason jar. Since there is no room in cabinet & I wasn't going to hide it & I wanted something that isn't going to be too bad of an eye sore. Tank is bad enough at present :angry:

post-35352-1235146435_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

well thought I'd update. mesh mod is still holding up, did additional mod by opening up air inlet on protein skimmer and skimmer stepped it up another notch. I've let Mg work its way back down to normal levels & algae is definitely in control now.

post-35352-1238779261_thumb.jpg

post-35352-1238779480_thumb.jpg

post-35352-1238779529_thumb.jpg

post-35352-1238779583_thumb.jpg

post-35352-1238779608_thumb.jpg

post-35352-1238779664_thumb.jpg

and here's 1 week of skimmate. taken with flash & had recently dosed a small amount of iron to green up chaeto.

post-35352-1238779832_thumb.jpg

and here's daughter-in-law's cat checking out what she thinks is dinner. I think not!

post-35352-1238779909_thumb.jpg

Any pics of the actual mod by any chance?? I plan to try the same with my Finnex skimmer. It's not a needlewheel like the CAD, but same concept for modding... I tried to do it once, but the pump wouldn't work with it on, it was fitted incorrectly.

Any pics of the actual mod by any chance?? I plan to try the same with my Finnex skimmer. It's not a needlewheel like the CAD, but same concept for modding... I tried to do it once, but the pump wouldn't work with it on, it was fitted incorrectly.

no pics of actual mod. i had to tinker with the enkamat a bit before I could get it to work. i used spider wire (fishing line) rather than zip ties to secure mesh.

Archived