Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can nitrates reduce on their own?

fayzane

I have a 24g aquapod, and put 20lb of Tonga LR in it a week ago. I have been feeding the tank small amounts of frz mysids to kick-start the cycle.

What's happening, however, is very confusing. I am using brand new API test kits. My ammonia went as high as 1.0, nitrite 0.25, and nitrate 5.0. By day 6, all parameters are ZERO? What gives? There is no macroalgae, coral or anything else in the tank and the water has not been changed. Where did the nitrate go?

Way Awesome! My last tank didn't denitrify, I had to perform water changes. Guess I got some pretty sweet rock this time! (happy dance) :D That's gotta be the shortest cycle I've ever seen in my limited experience!

Yes indeed.

But that was two years ago and the basic principles of chemistry and biology might have radically changed since then... But probably not. ;)

If the OP had a bunch of labile DOC floating around, the denittrifiers might have chewed right through his NO3 stockpile.

The Propagator
All your nitrate are belong to them.

:haha:

EXCELLENT usage !

:P

( YES I remember the "all you're .. what ever.. belong to us ". I just mean excellent twist-fit. :P )

Hey, I LIKED 'all your nitrates are belong to them!'

I now have 0.5 phosphates and a light dusting of diatoms on the rock. My sand arrived and will be installed tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how that ends up affecting the cycle. Good thing I am happy staring at a box filled w/ water and rocks!

Hey, I LIKED 'all your nitrates are belong to them!'

I now have 0.5 phosphates and a light dusting of diatoms on the rock. My sand arrived and will be installed tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how that ends up affecting the cycle. Good thing I am happy staring at a box filled w/ water and rocks!

You mean you can put more in a glass box other than rocks and water? Oh, wait, you've got sand too B)

What's your overall plan for this tank? Or did I miss it somewhere?

Um, eventually I will put more than rocks and water and sand in my glass box. I may have to wait longer as the sand was not in when I needed it so I still have to install the substrate and I don't know if it'll cause another spike. I'm not in any hurry, just staring at the rock is quite pretty actually.

Tank Plan:

1. Absolutely plan on mushrooms (love those)

2. would like to try xenias. Love leather corals so expect to get a tiny leather frag at some point.

3. Maybe a small montipora at the top of the tank, we'll see (this is still the stock lighting).

4. Possibly a frogspawn

5. MUST have a shrimp, preferably skunk cleaner variety

6. I could concede and get a sexy shrimp or two instead

7. Still debating about fish

The goal of this tank is to go very slowly and plan everything out before I do it. Part of my dissatisfaction with my last tank was that it was just haphazardly slapped together with equipment that didn't really suit my purposes. And I have come to realize that I need to research more before I bring stuff home, which is why I am 'considering' a lot of things but have no hard plans aside from the mushrooms and a resident shrimp or two.

Way Awesome! My last tank didn't denitrify, I had to perform water changes. Guess I got some pretty sweet rock this time! (happy dance) :D That's gotta be the shortest cycle I've ever seen in my limited experience!

you mean THIS happy dance??

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

reefing is full of great little triumphs isn't it??

The goal of this tank is to go very slowly and plan everything out before I do it... I have come to realize that I need to research more before I bring stuff home...

Sounds like you have learned from past mistakes. I imagine that this tank will live up to your hopes.

Archived