Top Shelf Aquatics

Nanobud's JBJ 28 gallon Nanocube HQI

Nanobuds

im trying to get pablo to get one, but he doesnt like clowns

I might get an onyx for my birthday i like onyx the best so maby some time soon.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so i put the chemie pure and filter floss in the first chamber, then waht else in the other chambers? more floss and chemiepure?

bump

not yet. im gonna wait until i get the chemie pure and filter floss friday. me and pablo are going to a sweet LFS on friday, no school spring break starts friday. this LFS has a whole bunch of huge display tanks. and a stingray tank, and a tank full of sharks and lionfish.

Put the floss where you had the sponge and put the Chemi-Pure Elite in the next chamber. The floss will catch larger particulate. Change it often. It will help to keep the larger bits from collecting on your Chemi-Pure.

Make sure you get Chemi-Pure Elite its the one that helps with silicates.

That's just a quick fix though. You need to find out what is fueling these diatoms.

You need to check the TDS of the RO. Maybe the its the water used in the premixed salt.

Are you feeding a lot?

Have you been putting any other additives in your tank?

i know to get elite. i feed a small thing of mysis once a day. i make sure none is left uneaten.

i have uses chemie-clean for cyano

can i keep the carbon until i run out of it?

i know to get elite. i feed a small thing of mysis once a day. i make sure none is left uneaten.

i have uses chemie-clean for cyano

can i keep the carbon until i run out of it?

Feed less. A lot less.

Are you pouring off the water from the melted mysis before it goes in the tank? Lay them on a towel too to blot off the excess juice.

Check that water. If you buy RO sometimes places don't change the filters as often as they should.

I don't think you need to run carbon and chemi-pure at the same time. Seal up the carbon and save it for later.

why feed less? i pour the melted water, i guess i shouldnt. i feed mysis because of my cardinal. my friend gets the same RO and saltwater from the same fishstore, and his tank is sweet. he username is pablo, and he has a 29 gallon biocube

also people said i could have dinos and not diatoms... do dinos trap bubbles? also if it is, then what do i do for dinos?

qwiksilver711
thats ok. im going to pick up some chemiepure and floss tomorrow. also a nitrate test kit.

u should just get the api saltwater master test kit, it tests ammonia nitrite and nitrate and ph

So what are your h20 parameters today? Anything off the chart? One thing you could do is add more flow. Hide a K-1 or K-nano under the rocks to allow more flow over the sand. That would create less areas for any food or any other particles (fish waste) to build up. Since your using RO water for top off, that shouldn't carry anything bad into the tank. Let's see if we can find the source of the outbreak while your trying to treat it with the chemi-pure/carbon and such. Also do you have a skimmer? That would greatly help out with any organic build up as well.

ok cool. I've seen so many hobbyist keep treating the symptoms and never the problem. Using more and more chemicals and getting frusterated. So let's see what we can do.

id take your diatoms over my cyno any day. :(

At least diatoms are easy and clean and will dissipate quickly. But your are pretty intense hope what ever you try works out for you.

pH: 8.4

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0.3

KH: 3 dh

Salinity: 1.025

i dont have a nitrate kit yet, sold out at the LFS. but i will get one tomorrow.

id take your diatoms over my cyno any day. :(

At least diatoms are easy and clean and will dissipate quickly. But your are pretty intense hope what ever you try works out for you.

at least you dont have both!! once diatoms are gone, cyano comes, the once cyano is gone, then diatoms, then cyano. it is a vicious cycle for me.

the test kit said that was fine... between 3 and 10. no livestock at planet reef, but all the chemi pure and stuff

EDIT: OOPS!!! i didnt read the whole thing. it is how many drops (i did 6) x1/2, which is 3. and i read the freshwater part, not the saltwater part, which is 8-10. dang. :(

Most likely when you treat for cyno the excess nutrients and "or the cause" allows for other things to appear and then the cycle starts over again. First lets get that ammonia down. It's just too high. Start with anther water change but test the "new" water before adding it just to make sure. Maybe try to mix your own batch of salt water so you know exactly what is being put into the tank. Also what kind of sand movers/sifters do you have?

A refugium would also help since it will out compete anything in the tank for nutrients. Maybe a mod for one would also help out. But first thing is first do the water change to reduce the ammonia. Zero ammonia is always best. That's one major thing to keep in check. Seems like some kind of organic matter is building up in the tank and releasing it. Your bio-load seems fine so something seems to be creating a pocket of organics and slowly releasing it back into the tank. Could you get more flow on the sand? Not pointing at the sand but flowing across it? My guess that it stems from that large center rock. Maybe towards the back rock things are getting trapped. So no matter how much you reduce your feeding and suck up all the unwanted food, things always seem to get stuck.

Feed less. That mysis juice your dumping in your tank is loaded with nutrients.

How often and at what percent are you doing water changes?

Archived