ReefCleaners.org

Coral Beauty Angel... Not eating real food

jonny5

Hey Guys

I have a coral beauty that is about a week old in my tank. I am wondering why he is not eating the mysis that i put in the tank. However, the fish is eating algae off of my live rock... What is that about.. He is picking ONLY at my rock, not my xenia or kenya tree... OR my zoas... What can I do to get himto eat real food? Or is there real food on those rocks he is picking off??

Thanks

Jon

Mine picks at the rocks too. But when I feed him he eats. Live or frozen brine, soaked pellet. He will take mysis and krill if they are not whole, seems to like smaller pieces. Sometimes he will keep chewing and spitting out and re-chew a large piece. But he'd rather find the "just right" pieces.

Might want to chop the mysis up some?

How does one chop up frozen mysis.. Granted that it is not frozen when fed, but the pieces seem pretty darned small... I was thinking of geting some POD suppliment, aka, pods in suspension, or spawning and growing my own brine shrimp on my NEW AC50(thanks Gerber)

If those are bad ideas, let me know.. Otherwise, how does one chop up already small shrimps??? I mean.. His color is great and he has stopped swimming behind my LR and is now in front, and more lively than ever... I just dont get that he like my rock smore than my shrimp..

What is "soaked pellet" Dougboy???

You may have pods in the algae and thats what its eating, natural living food.

^-- This is natural food, their natural food source. Try varying the food you feed, maybe try pellets. Cyclops seem to get most fish going as well. You could also buy some garlic supplement and soak his/her food in it before trying to feed. Live brine are also good for trying as a last-ditch effort.

How does one chop up frozen mysis.. Granted that it is not frozen when fed, but the pieces seem pretty darned small... I was thinking of geting some POD suppliment, aka, pods in suspension, or spawning and growing my own brine shrimp on my NEW AC50(thanks Gerber)

If those are bad ideas, let me know.. Otherwise, how does one chop up already small shrimps??? I mean.. His color is great and he has stopped swimming behind my LR and is now in front, and more lively than ever... I just dont get that he like my rock smore than my shrimp..

What is "soaked pellet" Dougboy???

I take a 1/2 cube of forzen mysis and chop it up a bit with a knife, while frozen. Then add it to some tank water to thaw, then feed. The same with pellet food, add some to tank water, soaks up water and will "sink" somewhat instead of just floating on the top.

Works for me. Corals like the small mysis too :)

I take a 1/2 cube of forzen mysis and chop it up a bit with a knife, while frozen. Then add it to some tank water to thaw, then feed. The same with pellet food, add some to tank water, soaks up water and will "sink" somewhat instead of just floating on the top.

Works for me. Corals like the small mysis too :)

Can take up to a month for those fish to actually take food. Ive had 2 at different times, both are still doing very well, one took almost a month to take food i put in the tank other than phyto feast or something, but the other still doesnt take food while im standing there, Ive had him for 3 years and hes still doing great so just keep an eye on him and he should react well. its a good sign to see him grazing

Hey Guys

I have a coral beauty that is about a week old in my tank. I am wondering why he is not eating the mysis that i put in the tank. However, the fish is eating algae off of my live rock... What is that about.. He is picking ONLY at my rock, not my xenia or kenya tree... OR my zoas... What can I do to get himto eat real food? Or is there real food on those rocks he is picking off??

Thanks

Jon

Coral Beauty Angels sometimes are very badly handled and such before they get to your tank. I'd say it's 50/50 whether they even will eventually eat or not. These guys and flame angels have been the same way the last number of years. I guess a lot are still cyanided.

Archived