SaltCritters.com

just used d-d aquascape epoxy and big disaster

marinetanker

ok, i just used a small ammount of d-d aquascape epoxy to hold down a nuicense rock that kept tuleing, now i have done so, thewater went cloudy and 1 of my fish died and my blood shrimp is half alive and half dead, one min ok, next rolling around on its back panicking, all the cabs seem fine but 1 snail looks ill, all corals seem ok, what should i do, was it the epoxy

Was it the reef-safe Epoxy?I just bought the LOTTE brand Epoxy form Wall-Mart to glue the rock.Maybe I shouldn't.I have alot of live stock in my tank.Sorry about your fish.I think you should change your water.

i have done two water changes, yes it was reef safe, the one that dries to resemble coraline, if this stuff kills fish id hate to thinkwhat the one you got will do to them. *_*

Are you sure you didn't have something on your hands or arms, and that nothing else touched the tank? I have also used it without any problems before. Did you mix the two parts very well?

This is the only and best epoxy I have used. It lets off a LITTLE cloud when you squish it underwater, but I've have never heard of fish dying because of it. Something else triggered the livestocks health.

nope, definately washed my hands, and arms etc.... i mixed it by twisting then rolling then pull it apart again till no grey was visible....one more fish dead now.....but the shrimp is still like its on its last legs, no movement, then all of a sudden seems fine. etc.

im trying to get onother wc mix up, clean water just waiting for it to get to the right tem then im going to transfer the shrimp to the clean water and hope for the best.

this was 2 and a half hours ago and my tank is still cloudy, chamber 1 has floss and is doing a good job as 2 and 3 have clear water..

I have have used the D-D epoxy and never had any issues other than it never worked well as supposed to for me, it would never hold anything down. But it never killed anything or clouded up me water either. Test your tank params, do some water changes and hope for the best. :( Good luck!!

did the epoxy touch any SPS coral or algae?

not that i know of unless there was algae on the bottom of the rock where i put it on....i just thought i did ruck up the sand a bit, could this have caused it ????

Eek messing with an old sand bed is bad. Could have nuked your tank with ammonia and nitrates.

MASSIVE water changes.

Edited by Rocket

ff sake lol....damn....i got the shrimp out and i have put him in clean water...see how he is in the morning....as for the tank..hopefully everything else will be ok and ill have to start fresh in a month or so, shrimp etc.

drop alot of carbon in also to help.

100% agreed.

With shell whitening, which could indicate the possibility of incomplete molting, it sounds bacterial by your accounts. Aside from any medication or other form of treatment make sure the temp stays dead on consistent until the condition is resolved. Good luck man.

Eek messing with an old sand bed is bad. Could have nuked your tank with ammonia and nitrates.

MASSIVE water changes.

ok, you wer right, i nuked my tank, i have done 4 water changes yesturday and my tank is on 0.6ppm ammonia, what should i do as some of my corals are looking scrawny and shrivelled....i can only change water as fast and my slow crap ro unit lets me...reaalllly slow......i have added a mass of carbon... also i have added seachem prime to try and lower the ammonia as much as poss. what should i do now... :(

ok, just added bit more prime and ammonia is at 0.0ppm now. will it spike again, have i re-started my cycle :(

I learned that lesson the hard way. My tank was about a year old, and I decided to re-scape. I upset the sand so bad that I nearly killed everything.

only my pulsing xenias are looking real sick, my shrooms are swollen and thick but seem okish... frogspawn and anemone are ok. zoas look fine....what should i do, will they pick up?

Just keep doing WC's, testing the levels, and keeping an eye on things, that's really all you can do.

Good luck.

How thick is the sand bed you disturbed?

Monitor your ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels. If you see a spike in the first 2 do a 20% water change. You should only have a few more days to worry about. As your rock is converting the ammonia and nitrite. The corals you have are pretty hardy. I believe you will be fine.

Just keep doing WC's, testing the levels, and keeping an eye on things, that's really all you can do.

Good luck.

How thick is the sand bed you disturbed? HI, IT WAS ONLY ABOUT AN INCH IF THAT :)

Monitor your ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels. If you see a spike in the first 2 do a 20% water change. You should only have a few more days to worry about. As your rock is converting the ammonia and nitrite. The corals you have are pretty hardy. I believe you will be fine.

thank you, i checked today and the ammonia is back to 0.4 so done another change, trite still zero and trate below 5

• 5 months later...

Found your post after my own disaster. My lfs gave me a box of AquaScape Epoxy. I read the directions and used it to secure my rocks. The water turned cloudy because I had trouble getting the rocks to stick to one another. About 20 minutes later my damselfish appeared severely stressed, and he is the hardiest thing I have in the tank. He is nearly dead. I have done all the water changes I can do tonight. The emerald crabs are still moving, have no idea about my scarlet reef crabs. The new snails are dead. Man!! I can't believe it, it was all going so well. . .

• 11 years later...
superlightman1@hotmail.com

Had same trouble this evening, the water get cloudy so quick in the nano and all fish went up, I had to change half of water and it is still cloudy. One fish I'm not sure it will survive. Until now I used this scaper in my big tanks, so it was OK but for nany be carefull the tank go cloudy quick and it can kill the fish! Never again I buy this brand. They should write that it can be dangerous for fish!