Cultivated Reef

Mantis Stuck in Live Rock

Spickerson

Not sure how you would get it out, I have a simalar situation.

If it is definatly a 'claw' you are seeing it is not a Mantis. Pistols have large claws as do crabs.

id say try another FW dip but like 5-6 min. then if that dont work break the rock.

I guess i can try that again, and see what happens, if not the rock is toast!

So before i do another FW dip or smash open the rock i am going to try and coax it out with a piece of raw shrimp on a skewer and hopefully that will work.

It is actually quite annoying because since i put the rock in the 10L without any livestock it has become pretty quiet. I am even debating putting in a hermit crab to try and entice him out.

What do you guys think?

So before i do another FW dip or smash open the rock i am going to try and coax it out with a piece of raw shrimp on a skewer and hopefully that will work.

It is actually quite annoying because since i put the rock in the 10L without any livestock it has become pretty quiet. I am even debating putting in a hermit crab to try and entice him out.

What do you guys think?

I think the only way you will entice it to come out is if you starve it for a while. Whatever it is, it seems pretty intent on staying in that rock. I say go for it and if that fails you know what you must do.... HAMMER!

many mantis would rather die in fw then leave their hidey.. its where they feel most secure... if you have a spare hour, bait it with some shrimp, it going to be FAST, have a net ready or prepare to take the rock out pronto...

if you where local i would say hand it over, but trust me, there is a home for it, so don't worry about 'disposing' of it, becuase there are plenty of people like a community collage science class who might take it.

Well after doing the second FW dip it didnt come out :(

So i put it back in the 10g and a few days later i added a Cleaner Shrimp and some astrea snails; and no sounds were coming out of the rock while snails or even while the shrimp was chilling near the holes where i have seen it come out.

So i think the second FW dip way have killed it; so now i am kinda pissed off that i could never have seen it come out.

I have now put the rock back in the 24g and i wll see if any noise comes out.

I will keep you guys posted if anything happens.

Thanks for everyone's help!

• 3 weeks later...

Well now that is back in my main DT, the sounds are back and if i sit there long enough and a hermit is on the rock you can see its little claw come out.

By the size and shape of it it is definately not a Mantis, but probably a Pistol; it looks more like a regular shrimp claw.

Anyway to lure it out with out taking the rock out? it has some pretty sick mushrooms growing on it now.

Pics to come later

Well now that is back in my main DT, the sounds are back and if i sit there long enough and a hermit is on the rock you can see its little claw come out.

By the size and shape of it it is definately not a Mantis, but probably a Pistol; it looks more like a regular shrimp claw.

Anyway to lure it out with out taking the rock out? it has some pretty sick mushrooms growing on it now.

Pics to come later

uncooked table shrimp on a stick.

uncooked table shrimp on a stick.

How big of a piece?

if you want it dead, just kabab it

Naw i dont want to kill it, more take it out and possibly put it in my 10g

This is what I found when I cut open my rock after a lengthy FW dip. I thought it was dead, and I pried it out with a bamboo skewer after slicing at the rock with a pair of bonecutters...he was still alive though:

[2008-12-27]%20Mantis%201.jpg

I have my own thread on a mantis, I tried the shrimp on a skewer and he would chase it in the tank. However when I started my new process of removing him and the rock into a saltwater bucket he wont come out and chase the shrimp on a stick so I'm stuck with him thankfully out of the tank but still with my damn rock! haha. bottle trap was also a big failure as was tryign to net him and doing FW dips. Just to quick and can survive almost anything

-jds

This is what I found when I cut open my rock after a lengthy FW dip. I thought it was dead, and I pried it out with a bamboo skewer after slicing at the rock with a pair of bonecutters...he was still alive though:

[2008-12-27]%20Mantis%201.jpg

That has to be what i have!

Its front claws look exactly the same as mine except they are a purple/blue colour!

the thing is huge and the claws are roughly the same size

Archived