inTank Media Baskets

Best Sand Sifting Fish?

Ksologist

What is the best sand sifting fish that I could buy for my 6 week old 29gal biocube.

Currently only have 2 juvenile tank bred true percs, a small zoa colony, and a small cup coral frag.

also 3 turbo snails, 4 hermits, 1 pep shrimp.

What is the best sand sifting fish that I could buy for my 6 week old 29gal biocube.

Currently only have 2 juvenile tank bred true percs, a small zoa colony, and a small cup coral frag.

also 3 turbo snails, 4 hermits, 1 pep shrimp.

Starfish don't do that well in small tanks especially one only 6-weeks old.

Try a few cerith snails.

sorry but that would be a dumb idea.....add more of a cuc to start atleast.My 2 gal had a better cuc

I'm not suggesting a star fish guys. Just a good sand sifter. Some sort of goby?

I'm not suggesting a star fish guys. Just a good sand sifter. Some sort of goby?

No, they're telling you a sand sifting goby is a bad idea in a nano.

He only has two fish in there.

I do have to say that may be a tad too early to add the perc pair; but that is definately not too many fish.

A few members have kept a Sandsifting Goby in a 29g, but it has to be an established tank with a fair sized algae growth. I wouldnt risk it and go with the cerths, atleast for now.

My cereths very rarely go on the sand. They stay on the rocks with the astrea snails. I do have some nassarius snails that spend most of their time on and in the sand. They just don't seem to do that good of a job keeping it "stired" up though.

As long as your tank is covered, and you have no anenomies on the bottom sand portion of your tank,I would go with a diamond goby.. They are the coolest fish EVER!!!!

My opinion.. Some may agree, so might not... But I love them, and dont have one because my GBTA roams around the sand bed and rock, and ate one already...

J

As long as your tank is covered, and you have no anenomies on the bottom sand portion of your tank,I would go with a diamond goby.. They are the coolest fish EVER!!!!

My opinion.. Some may agree, so might not... But I love them, and dont have one because my GBTA roams around the sand bed and rock, and ate one already...

J

You're right Jonny5, I disagree. Diamond gobies need a bigger tank with an established sand bed or they can starve. Plus they litter your corals and rock with sand.

Wow you people need to research....

A Sand Sifting Goby.... A Bad Idea WHY??

Sand sifting gobies eat exactly what makes your expensive live sand "live".... By filtering out your sandbed everyday, your sand will become less... and less live, which is the reason they are suggested for larger more established tanks(1 year+)

Keeping that in mind a sand sifting goby will not only cloud the water of a smaller tank, it will destroy all living organisms in your sandbed so fast they wont be able to regenerate.

For example: a 55 gallon tank that has been established for 2 years would be better for a SSGoby because it can replenish the living things in the sandbed alot faster than a newer tank, thus not messing up the cycle of life in your SB/Tank etc.... If the sandbed has no time to establish between siftings it will never be live again before the goby filters it out again. Which is also the reason they are NOT FOR NANOS. Why? You are not going to have a large enough sandbed in square inches to... A.) Get the nutrition and benefits the goby is sifting for. B.) Most get 5-7 inches.... C.) The sand sifting goby may stir the sandbed too much at a time and COULD cause a small spike.

The above also applies to Sand Sifting Starfish....

</2cents>

Wow guys no need to chew my head off. I was simply asking because I had heard of people keeping diamonds in their cubes before. And my clownfish are doing perfectly, the water params are constant and in the right place, and everything seems to be going well.

Urchinhead: Two clowns in a 29gal is by no means overstocked. They're each only about an inch long at the moment as well.

Wow you people need to research....

That's exactly what I'm doing by asking this on a forum, dur. It's not like I ran out and bought one now did I?

Archived