Innovative Marine Aquariums

API Test Kit

SMK

Just wondering how everyone who uses API test kits check the colors of each test.. Do you lay the tube against the card or look down into the tube to check the color? The reason I ask is, when I check mine, sometimes the color looks different when checking both ways. Thanks in advance for your input...

I check it against the white on the card, then I put it over the colors to see which blends in the best.

I do that too, but by looking down through the contents of the tube.

Put it against the card, but then again, I have a lot of trouble discerning colors.

Thats the problem I have. If it were cut and dry exact color match, it wouldn't be so bad. I'll post what I believe to be my parameters a little later as I'm do for my weekly water change (10%). From what I've been reading, my nitrate level is a little high (20ppm)

pH = 8.2

SG = 1.024

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Just wondering how everyone who uses API test kits check the colors of each test.. Do you lay the tube against the card or look down into the tube to check the color? The reason I ask is, when I check mine, sometimes the color looks different when checking both ways. Thanks in advance for your input...

i lay the tube on the card and match that way.

All of the test look pretty cut and dry expect for the PH and nitrates. The 8.2 and 8.4 ( i think) are way to close and the 5 and 10 on the nitrate are basically the same in my eyes.

OK, I changed about 5 gallons of water and ran another set of tests. Here are the results (API Salt Water and Master Reef test kits):

Temp. = 77

SG = 1.022

pH = 8.2

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 15 (in between colors)

Phosphate = 0

dKH = 11

Calcium = 380

Hoping to add some fish in a week or two...

Archived