SaltCritters.com

Pprwngs Solana

pprwngs

Well today it starts... omgomgomg sort of!

I had my first tank back in 12/07 and by the time 01/08 came around it was gone... Not by my fault I might add but, due to the GIANT crack that destroyed it. Now I am back and ready to try again and this time I hope with a better outcome.

The TANK...

33binwo.jpg

All the rock and new equipment is on order. I just could not wait any longer I have had this tank since 10/08 and is finally out of the box and the setup has begun.

The plan for this tank is to seed dry reef rock while the LR does a cycle. During this time the rock will be resting on top of eggcrate so it can receive good flow. And after the cycle is over the rocks will be moved to their final resting place with the sand and then the coralline algae can begin to cover the other rocks fingerscrossed .

Here is where I plan on letting the tank mature with only snails if I need them, do I? Also should I be adding something to the tank so the bacteria has something to feed on, shrimp? I Hope to let it mature for about 6 months+, but lets see how long I last. Does anyone have any tips on a process like this? I was not able to find much info on this idea and I figure I might as well consolidate all my questions into one area. Helps make my life easier...

And thanks again,

pprwngs

Purdy tank. B)

If you use live rock to cycle the tank, there is no need to use a raw shrimp. And snails are only needed if you have an algae outbreak.. or just to keep the place clean.

Purdy tank. B)

If you use live rock to cycle the tank, there is no need to use a raw shrimp. And snails are only needed if you have an algae outbreak.. or just to keep the place clean.

Even if I let it sit with just the LR and the reef rock for 6 months?

Purdy tank. B)

Thanks.

Yeah, there should be enough life on the rock to keep the bacteria fed. You could always feed the tank lightly.

Ok sweet more time to watch rocks.. LOL

TriggerHappyDude

These are all good questions, especially for someone like me who's never setup a reef tank, never cycled a tank, never had a reef tank! Is there a FAQ somewhere with steps to help guide us through the first time efforts?

These are all good questions, especially for someone like me who's never setup a reef tank, never cycled a tank, never had a reef tank! Is there a FAQ somewhere with steps to help guide us through the first time efforts?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but maybe I'm not... Is this some lame half arsed effort to say go look in the Information section? I have read there and I don't remember reading anything about maturing your tank for 6 months with only rocks and sand in it... but maybe I missed that part. Maybe you should show me. I understand the cycle but I wanted to clear up the letting it sit part.

If this was a real honest question then I am sorry. But after being on here I've noticed the no-nut losers that parade themselves around, thinking they are the best thing about this site...

TriggerHappyDude

It was a real question, I haven't had a saltwater aquarium since the Mid 90's, and things were a LOT different back then...not to mention all I had was a Fish Only tank, no reef at all. I just wanted some base place to start with basic information about what "stuff" is now days...I've learned a lot from reading posts and asking questions on these kinds of sites for the past year or more, but still I read things I have no clue why people are doing, or changing, or buying etc..

So my question was legit, and I just wanted somewhere to get some information.

I plan to purchase a Solana tank, and when it gets here, after I've asked what all ELSE I need to buy for it, when I begin to "build" it, I don't even know how to add water, etc...so total NOOB here, want to start slow, don't expect to jump into adding fish for a long time, to allow the tank to cycle etc...

So once I start buying stuff, I want to know what to do next. I'm sure talking to my LFS will help, but the internet is also a great place to get info too.

Thanks!

PS. Think provide is kind of what I was looking for, I will read that and see where it leads me! Thank you!

Then please accept my apology. This is a great site to gather info.

The Solana is a nice tank and the first thing that many of us who have it did, is ditch the stock protein skimmer. It is very loud... Most get the Tunze 9002, I myself just ordered to Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer. I had one of their skimmers in my last tank and it worked very well so I decided to give them another try.

Most of the time our LFS are not really a good place to get info. They always seems to be just trying to make a sale. And some are set in their ways and if you have another opinion they think you are crazy. Like my LFS does of me...

Again I'm sorry,

Jim

Sexy tank, I hope to be getting one soon. If you don't mind me asking....where did you get it from and how much $$$? The lowest I've found with the SunPod was $749 +S&H, is that about right? Good luck with the new set up.

BTW...are those wine corks in the water jug?!? :o

LOL yep those are wine corks...

i got the tank for 260 @ a local reef show. i got the nova extreme pro for 260 also. and the stand i got @ a local store for 75. so my total was 595

EDIT:

well i added some LR about 5lbs to get them cycling before my rock from reefcleaners.org gets here.

33erjir.jpg

i have the LR raised so that while it is cycling i can get a good amount of flow all around it. once i get the new rock and the cycle is done i will put them into the aqua scape with the reef rock.

• 2 weeks later...
Sweet deal, best of luck to you. I hope I can find a deal like that.

Yea, it was pretty sweet.

Well it has been a couple of weeks since I posted anything new about my tank. In that time my Live rock has cycled and I have added sand and dry rock. Here's what we have so far...

1. Gizmo List
  2. Solana 34g
  3. 20" Nova Extreme Pro
  4. Aqua Controller Jr. w/ DC8
  5. Sapphire Aquatics Solana Skimmer
  6. Double Switch ATO from AutoTopOff.com w/ 5g reservoir
  7. Koralia 1 x2
  8. 5# Live Rock(will be removed once I seed the reef rock w/ coralline algae)
  9. 40# Florida Reef Rock from Reef Cleaners
  10. 20# Indo-Pacific Live Sand
  11. Mag-Rack from Black Rock Reef
  12. Plastic soap dish w/ Chaeto

oqhvyh.jpg

1fcwsm.jpg

33elgkh.jpg

1. CUC
  2. Cerith snails x3
  3. Astrea snails x3
  4. Turbo snail x1
  5. Scarlet crabs x5
  6. Electric-Blue crab x1

And now the waiting begins while my rock begins to become live. I plan on giving it at least 6-9 months till I add my 1st fish/coral. Until then I will be getting to know my tank and it quirks(learning to keep the Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and pH stable). As I add corals I will start keeping an eye on other elements(some I may not have to dose for) and a closer eye on those I am already testing for. I know it may be a lot of work and $ but, I hope/believe it may also be rewarding!

And thanks for looking,

Jim

TriggerHappyDude

Ok pprwngs,

So where did you get the idea of the cheato on a soapdish in the display? And why there? Why not back in the 2nd chamber?

Also, why this stuff? Not that its bad, just want to know why you chose it.

5# Live Rock(will be removed once I seed the reef rock w/ coralline algae)

40# Florida Reef Rock from Reef Cleaners

20# Indo-Pacific Live Sand

Ok pprwngs,

So where did you get the idea of the cheato on a soapdish in the display? And why there? Why not back in the 2nd chamber?

Also, why this stuff? Not that its bad, just want to know why you chose it.

5# Live Rock(will be removed once I seed the reef rock w/ coralline algae)

40# Florida Reef Rock from Reef Cleaners

20# Indo-Pacific Live Sand

I used to run a soap dish fuge in my display... The Chaeto grew FAST!!!

TriggerHappyDude

I'm thinking I'm going to put some, once the tank is established, in the 2nd chamber, on top of the ChemiPure and Purigen...if thats a good idear?

I chose the 5# of LR to get my tank seeded with all the micro/bacteria life along w/ coralline algae. I chose the 40# of Florida Reef Rock b/c of its shape and lack of bad hitchhikers. I also got the sand b/c I liked the white and black look, although I am trying to figure a way to remove the larger pebble sized black pieces.

Either CURED or UNCURED will work. CURED is more expensive and will take less time to cycle your tank. UNCURED is cheaper and takes longer to cycle.

Ok, well I set my tank up believing I was not going to be moving and now I get to move! It is only about a 30min away move but does anyone one have tips on moving? Also I was thinking of tank the sand I have out and replacing it with some other live sand, will this re-cycle my tank?

Looks great! I'm only going to ask this though. Why are you waiting 6-9 months for the tank to cycle? I understand the need to be patient, but don't you think that's pushing it out there quite a bit? I could see 2-3 months, but not 6-9. Your choice though. Just curious why you are set on that time frame.

I'll be tracking this one for sure though with your updates.

Archived