Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aeridne's 10 Gallon

Aeridne

I had to get rid of my Pep Shrimp as well b/c he was attacking my new Frogspawn. I had to pull pretty much all of my rocks out to catch him, which sucked. I think I stressed him out too much trying to catch him b/c he didn't make it through the night. :-(

Better him than my coral though. Hopefully I can get my clown's next weekend...I'm excited.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had to get rid of my Pep Shrimp as well b/c he was attacking my new Frogspawn. I had to pull pretty much all of my rocks out to catch him, which sucked. I think I stressed him out too much trying to catch him b/c he didn't make it through the night. :-(

Better him than my coral though. Hopefully I can get my clown's next weekend...I'm excited.

Sorry to hear about the shrimp :( I had took mine to the lfs right after I caught him. I don't know if he's still alive, but hopefully he is. Sucks that he attacked your frogspawn. They are really opportunistic. I thought with spot feedings I could manage him, but nope. I guess my corals just look that tastey. Yay for clowns!! That's exciting. You know what i've realized yesterday, that my 10g fw tank is actually way larger than that .............. it was marked wrong on the box I think. I was looking at the 10g tanks at the lfs, and they were a lot smaller than my tank is.. I think it's closer to a 15g to 18g.... I'm going to take the measurements and do the math to find out because now i'm very curious to know exactly how much volume my tank has.

Nope, the volume of my tank is approximately 2400cm cubed. Meaning, there are 10.4 gallons of water in my tank... The tank at the store must be either taller and thinner than my tank, or it's less gallons. my pico is 3.7 gallons including fuge volume :P

I feel like a nerd now :mellow:

Nope, the volume of my tank is approximately 2400cm cubed. Meaning, there are 10.4 gallons of water in my tank... The tank at the store must be either taller and thinner than my tank, or it's less gallons. my pico is 3.7 gallons including fuge volume :P

I feel like a nerd now :mellow:

Did you take into account the amount of water that's displaced by rocks and sand? ;)

Did you take into account the amount of water that's displaced by rocks and sand? ;)

No, I was only calculating the volume that the tank could hold potentially, not how much it currently holds :P I could get a rough estimate by weight or size and figure out how much volume my rockwork takes up, but i'm too lazy. :lol:

Update:

My fish is doing great! He caused a tiny ammonia spike, but I did a water change. He's eating the food I give him as well as picking the copepods. He plays with his reflection in the glass of the tank, that's pretty cute. My kenya tree doesn't like him though. Ever since I got him, it hasn't been open :( Maybe with time it will be alright again. My pink shroom has trippled in size which is great. I'm unsure of how they reproduce, I thought they just split like rics do.. Not sure. I hope it does though because I want to trade the frags for different coral at my lfs..

That's about it.

FallenMonkey

Cool, happy to hear he's doing ok. Do you have a top though? If not, there's always the chance of him jumping out...

Cool, happy to hear he's doing ok. Do you have a top though? If not, there's always the chance of him jumping out...

No I don't, but i've researched the gobys and i've read and heard that they are the least likely to jump compared to others like watchmen, gbg, etc. So far he is very happy. He swims around the whole tank, perches on all my corals and rock and plays with his reflection in the glass. And I don't have anything in my tank that can spook him. no shrimp and my hermit crab is mild mannered. I'm not that worried about him jumping at the moment. My concern with getting a top would be the temperature becoming too high and I don't want to over complicate my tank with a fan or cooling system. If I were to get a top, I think I would just get a clear mesh of some sort so he couldn't jump out (if he did). It doesn't seem likely though. I will look into that this weekend. I really wouldn't want him to jump, hopefully he won't. :mellow:

So I woke up this morning, turned my tank light on, and unplugged my heater. About three minutes later, I noticed that my filter wasn't running.... :angry: I looked at the powerstrip and it was barely unplugged. Either I accidently knocked it out when I unplugged the heater, or it's been unplugged since last night. I'm hopeing for the former. But everything in the tank is fine.

My kenya tree is opening again. Took it a week to open after I got the fish. Apparently, it didn't like the fish at first. I lost a cerith snail.. :mellow: No idea what happened there.. the other one is fine and dandy. Can they correct themselves when they fall over? I know that astrea can't. So when I see the cerith knocked over, I just correct them anyhow, like I do the astreas. However, this cerith snail falls over much more than my astreas ever did...

I should be getting my light this week. My lfs guy didn't order it last time, because he was sick and not at work. It's alright, I'm not in a rush. Would my corals do better with an upgraded light? Yes. Do they need one right this moment? No.

My fish is happy, and not jumping. I feed him everyday and he's eating. He still likes to perch on the pink shroom. :happy: I don't think it minds.

Thats about it for now! :D I want to get some new coral when I get my new light. Some gsp I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, i'ts been awhile. I've been too busy to post lately, but here's an update on my tank. I got my new light and slowly adjusted my tank to it. I increased the photoperiod an hour or so over a week and now it's consistant at 9 hours a day. My coral has brightened up quite a bit. My hot pink shroom was turning an orange color, but now it's hot pink again. My zoas are increasingly bright and growing. I used to have only 4 polyps of the neon green zoas, now I have around 12. The watermelons aren't growing as fast, but there is definite growth. Oh and my kenya tree is 3 times as big and a new kenya tree has started to grown on the opposite side of the tank...it's very small and only has one branch so far, hopefully it grows to be as big as the other one.

Sad news: both my cerith snailes died..... One died around a week after I brought it home and the second died only a few days ago. The second one kept falling off the tank walls and not turning back over. So I thought it was similar to the astrea snails and I would flip it over and he would continue on. However, I missed him flipping over once and he died. I talked to my lfs about it and they said that cerith snails are supposed to be able to flip themselves over. They said that they have no idea how old the snails are when they get them and it is possible that this snail was very old. We came to this conclusion after my water was tested and was perfect. otherwise, why else would it die so abruptly. Another cause could be my mischieveous hermit crab.. Maybe he flipped him over, who knows. Anyway, I replaced the snails with a very small narcissus snail who is cleaning my sandbed with vigor. No more problems there.

In other sad news: My clown goby contracted ick. No idea where or how. I've been useing natural-ish methods of getting him better over the past couple of days that my lfs recommended. Giving him pure RO water dips (for three mins at a time) once every three days. This seems to work very well. Most of the ick has dropped off him and his vibrant color is returning. He's still consistantly eating well, though he does look a little thin.. I may feed my tank twice a day for the next two days or so, just to be sure that he plumps up again. I also got a cleaner shrimp. My lfs has seen (through their own personal experience) that sometimes cleaner shrimp will actually eat ick off the fish if they let them. Who knows is this will work, but my fish does look a lot better today. I don't know if it was the ro water dips, or if the shrimp is picking the ick off him at night. Unsolved mystery. The good point is that he is getting better.

I was thinking about getting a purple pseudochromis as a friend for my clown goby. It may be too much fish for the tank though and the fish itself may not be happy in only 3 gallons, but I do have a lot of nice rockwork that it can hide in... i'll have to research it more. They have some really small ones at my lfs though, about the same size as my clown goby. I know they rough up shrimp. However my cleaner shrimp is much larger than my clown goby... I wonder if the size of the shrimp would make a difference. Many sites argue on tank size... but they seem to have the same tank requirements as yellowtail damsels, which a lot of 3g pico's have, at least on this forum. Anyway, i'll have to wait until the ick is purged from my tank. around 6-8 weeks. So by then, the psuedochromis at the lfs may be too big anyway and i'll move on. Do yellow clown gobys like having fish friends? I don't even know...

anyway, if anyone has feedback it would be appreciated, thanks!

As far as i was aware ceriths can't turn them selves back up right.

Yeah, i've heard mixed views on this.. at least the nars snail won't cause trouble :happy:

How's your tank doing? Any update?? :)

it's doing well, thanks for asking :-) So far, my fish has lost pretty much all the ick. He is back to bright vibrant yellow again. So now I just have to wait a couple weeks until I get my new fish (if they are still small). Also, i'll be adding some gsp to the tank soonish. Oh! I have a new baby hot pink mushroom. or at least I think it is.. It has the same basic shape and texture/color of the big one, except its very small, smaller than a dime at least. I hope my mushroom is spawning. I don't really know how they reproduce. I thought they split like rics do.. maybe not? I know the kenya tree started a new "bud" on the complete opposite side of the tank... My narcs snail is doing a great job with the sand so far, so that's good. I have this strange stuff growing on what I thought was purple bubble algae.. its bright neon orange dots on the bubbles.. They weren't apparent when I bought the algae though.. so I'm not sure when they sprung up or where they came from... Maybe it's not bubble algae, but some type of coral and i've been mistaken this whole time about it (it seems to have appeared since my new light)..?

other than that, buying new things for my pico might take awhile. I'm planning on turning my parent's freshwater tank into a planted freshwater tank as a present, so my funds will do towards that atm. Shouldn't be that bad cost wise though, we'll see. I also would like to buy some new plants for my own planted freshwater tank as well.

How is your pico doing PSYS?

Hi! So good news, my mushrooms are all reproducing my budding! I have two new purple mushrooms and one new pink shroom. at least, of which I can see. There may be more, but I don't want to prod anything in my tank atm. I've read that mushrooms most likely reproduce when the rock is more crowded, so hopefully, when these baby mushrooms get big, they're growing fast, I'll get a surplus of shrooms! Then I can trade some for new coral at my lfs.

I'm giving my clown a bath right now in some RO water. His color looks great, but the white ick is still on him, more so than it was yesterday. I just really want him to get better. He's still eating fine and his color has returned, so I think he is getting better. Just have to get rid of all the ick.. What's cool is that once the bath is done, you can literally see the ick that has fallen off him in the bottom of the bath (tupperware haha). That means it's working in my eyes. Hopefully another week of baths will allow the ick to completely go away. That and water changes. I really want to get that playmate purple psudochromis friend for my clown, but I will NOT get new fish until the sickness is completely gone. Anyway, that's all for now.

Updated pics: nothing much has changed, just a few new budding corals. No new corals yet. Though my parent's newly planted freshwater tank (as of last night) looks beautiful. Bought them six different kinds of low light plants and eight cardinal tetras to have a nice bright school swimming around. Along with their mollys and such. Oh the new pics were taken after I put my fish back in the tank, however, he's mad at me for netting him out in the first place, camera shy.

Here's a pic of the ick that has fallen off my fish :mellow: ....Tons fell off today.

IMG_0363.jpg

bath time layout.

IMG_0365.jpg

full tank shot with new light

IMG_0366.jpg

new shrimp loves the camera, total diva. B)

IMG_0368.jpg

new budding shroom

IMG_0369.jpg

the new purple shrooms are hard to see in this pic, but they are above the big one

IMG_0370.jpg

orange neon dots on grape algae? Anyone know what it is? :huh:

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Can't get a pic of the new baby kenya tree because it's at a strange angle in my tank, macro can't get to it. It's doing well though. :happy:

My fish died today :tears: I tried many things to make him better, and all the ick was pretty much gone. But he wasn't looking to good yesterday, very thin and he didn't eat. Very sad. Especially since he was my first sw fish. I still have no idea where the ick came from, especially since i've gotten everything from the same lfs. He must have had it when I got him. :angry:

I guess i'll just get coral for the next month or so and then look into fish again maybe.

Thanks El Fab :)

So i'm having problems right now. I think I have some really bad algae in my tank including dinoflagettes (or hair, I can't decide which it is and I can't get a good picture of it) and blue/green cyano. I'm thinking it's the dino-algae because of the sudden appearance of the blue/green cyano. Oh and I also have diatoms.

I also have a worm that looks like a bristle worm (it could be a fire worm) it's at least 3 inches long, at least, and its grey with two rows of white bristles along it's sides. i think it's a bristle.. but it's huge....

I'm going to try to get all the hair-like algae out of my tank by sifting the sand with a fine net that I have. Also by pulling it off the rock that it's on. It's mostly in the sand bed. I'll do that later this afternoon. I guess if it still gets bad this next week after I attempt to take a lot of it out, it may be the dino- algae........ Then who knows. That stuff seems pretty severe.

and to top it all off, my HOB fuge has a crack and started leaking. more on that later

On an ok note, I got a leather coral, which is doing perfectly fine.

Hopefully bad things happen in threes and now you'll get some good stuff happening! Apparently its bad to disturb your sand bed too much due to gas release how ever i've not had issues. Just thought i'd let you know people have warned me so...Sorry to hear about your fish! How did the hob break? The worm sounds like a bristle worm, i have tons of them in my tank, atleast 10 i'd guess, i counted 15 hair worms on one peice of rock earlier!

Hopefully bad things happen in threes and now you'll get some good stuff happening! Apparently its bad to disturb your sand bed too much due to gas release how ever i've not had issues. Just thought i'd let you know people have warned me so...Sorry to hear about your fish! How did the hob break? The worm sounds like a bristle worm, i have tons of them in my tank, atleast 10 i'd guess, i counted 15 hair worms on one peice of rock earlier!

Yeah! hopefully so. I just need to get my tank in perfect order before I leave country (middle of may). It would be very difficult for my boyfriend, who is watching my tank, to control crashes or huge algae blooms while i'm gone. He's not really into fish or tanks, but he's slowly getting interested, he really loved a scooter blenny he saw at the lfs yesterday heh. But no fish until I get back (July 2nd) As for disturbing the sand bed, I purposely did this morning to break up the diatoms, and I didn't even think about the other algae. whoops. I don't think it'll do anything, and i'm starting to think it's just hair algae that had some bubbles caught in it. Thanks for the warning though.. hopefully I didn't mess it up more so than it already is.

I'm sad about my fish, but I'll probably get a damsel when I get back. I was going to get a sand sifting goby also, but I have three narc snails now that seem to be doing very well. I probably won't need the fish in the end. And I won't worry about the worm anymore, thanks. I was just surprised at how large it was and I usually have red/black worms, not all gray worms. Also, I read the Barny the worm article link haha!

The HOB cracked a bit on the part where the over hang conects to the actually chamber. I leaks a bit drop by drop. Not that significantly though and i'm going to seal it up with super glue.. :ninja: I actually wouldn't have noticed the leak if I hadn't accidently knocked my desk. Some water sloshed out of my fuge onto my subwoofer LOL When I was mopping up the water, I noticed the crack.

Damn, thats gash about the hob. Superglue should hold it though. I am after a juvinle yellow tail damsel. They are awesome, i was looking through some pics i took in the bahamas last summer and saw one and was like man one of those would be sweet! I really want to make a big custom tank in my room with a refugium in one end and hardware behind an overflow wall. Would have it as a bahamian biotop with the fuge being mangrove based. Anyway i digress. Good luck with the tank! Hope it all turns around for you!

Damn, thats gash about the hob. Superglue should hold it though. I am after a juvinle yellow tail damsel. They are awesome, i was looking through some pics i took in the bahamas last summer and saw one and was like man one of those would be sweet! I really want to make a big custom tank in my room with a refugium in one end and hardware behind an overflow wall. Would have it as a bahamian biotop with the fuge being mangrove based. Anyway i digress. Good luck with the tank! Hope it all turns around for you!

That tank idea sounds sweeeeeet! When you do your bahamian tank, give me the details! or make a thread, which i'm sure you will :D I really want to do a finnex tank or a 40g breeder tank later on. just something over 20g I think. I would love to do something without a sump though, or at least with an in tank sump, just because I really have no idea how to do those.... Needs a lot of researching, which I haven't done yet. I really want a baby/young yellow tail damsel now :) too.

I took a net to my tank and sifted out a lot of algae. It looks like hair algae, so i'm not going to worry about it. The only thing that worries me is that my hermit would not eat it... makes me suspicious. I also clouded up my tank quite a bit, so now all my little guys are mad. It was cool seeing the narc snails lift their arm up so high though, I think they were lost heh. I just need to get my nimble in the mail so I can clean the glass, which is very bad right now..

So when I get back, I was thinking about getting an 11 pack of rics from coral morphic. Seems like a pretty decent deal, and it would give my tank some really nice color diversity. Plus I like rics a lot. Has anyone ordered coral from them before? Any insight?

Archived