Top Shelf Aquatics

Aeridne's 10 Gallon

Aeridne

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Yankeepete- My tank has been up and running since around jan 24th or so :) I've had no serious crashes or problems of any sort, which is really really nice.

Though, my Hermit crab started to molt last night, it came out of its shell and was doin' its thing. However, this morning, he doesn't look so alive.. I know they are vulnerable during the molting process.. I think my other crab took advantage of this.. :o I guess nature is nature..

SO anyway, i've been spot feeding my pep shrimp because I believe that if he is happy and well fed, if will lower the chance of him munching on my future corals, and it is possibly one of the most entertaining things in a salt tank for me right now. I wish I could get a good picture of it grabbing the food from my hand :lol:

I checked my water levels yesterday and they were 0 down the board. YAY! sg is 1.025ish, and i'm getting great flow throughout my tank with the modded ac50. Things are looking pretty awesome :happy: with the exception of my hermit of course. Since everything is going so well, and i'm not trying to jinx myself, but i'm going to pick up some of those hot pick shrooms and maybe a couple other frags. if they start to look like they are struggleing in my tank, i'm going to take them to my lfs, where the top saltwater guy there said that they can house them in the back for me until my tank evens out. And I know i'm a couple days early for adding corals, because it's only been around a week since i've added my cuc, but i'm going to do it anyway, especially since my tank has been cycleing well this whole time. Anyway, i'll add pics later today!

sounds like your off to a great start! the tank looks like itll be awsome! oh, and those snails are astrea (star) snails. make sure they dont flip over, they cant right themselves. they are great algae eaters though.

sounds like your off to a great start! the tank looks like itll be awsome! oh, and those snails are astrea (star) snails. make sure they dont flip over, they cant right themselves. they are great algae eaters though.

thanks for the heads up!

Thank looks good! :)

How many pounds of rocks do you have in there right now?

Around six, I made the noob mistake of buying too much rock without thinking about getting coral rocks and larger frags.. oops. I also have six lbs LS. I could always remove some if I need room, or break up the red LR, though I would be sad about that cause it has such a nice donut shape :P

I got some corals now!! yay! here are some pics:

oh, this is my pep shrimp, i've been trying to get a good pic of him, but he's fast, so it's difficult.

IMG_0274.jpg

full tank shot

IMG_0282.jpg

hot pink shroom! it's still a little POed though...

IMG_0284.jpg

blue ric, not Poed at all!

IMG_0285.jpg

WAAAAY POed kenya tree....... i'm having trouble keeping it in one place because I can't decide where I want it..

IMG_0286.jpg

purple-blue shroom, sort of POed

IMG_0287.jpg

green and yellow hairy shroom, it should brighten up soon.

IMG_0288.jpg

Anyway, that's my coral additions for awhile. I'm pretty happy with them and I really hope they grow, especially the hot pink shroom. I think the next coral I should get should be green or more blue, I need some green in my tank now. I'll probably get some polyps that are green next. Please make any suggestions as to placement of my corals, I think I like where I stuck them, but i'll always take advice! thanks!

Hi all! so this morning, my corals look pretty good. My kenya tree is finally a little less mad at me, but only a little.

I need to adjust the rubber band a tinsy bit, but I finally got him in a place I like:

IMG_0290.jpg

I need to pick up some of that aquarium glue though, because my hot pink shroom isn't staying put very well, and it has some rubble attached underneath it where I could easily apply some glue. Right now i'm useing a little net/mesh for flowers that holds tulips together :lol: the shroom can move and whatnot, but it can't float away.

Nice first corals! You've got a good selection there especially the hot pink shroom. :happy:

I like your placement too and I can just see it coming together. If you want something green you can always get GSP as long as you're careful with where you place it and blue cloves are good for adding some blue. One thing I would advise is to keep the mushrooms low and to keep them at around the same level. Not necessarily all in the same spot just at the same level so that when they take over (which they will) they fill in the same strata. Also because they're low light corals you wouldn't want them taking up prime real estate on the top that you might want to save for some nice LPS corals later on. ;)

By the way I love the big doughnut-shaped rock! You could do stuff with that nice little cave in the middle.

Nice first corals! You've got a good selection there especially the hot pink shroom. :happy:

I like your placement too and I can just see it coming together. If you want something green you can always get GSP as long as you're careful with where you place it and blue cloves are good for adding some blue. One thing I would advise is to keep the mushrooms low and to keep them at around the same level. Not necessarily all in the same spot just at the same level so that when they take over (which they will) they fill in the same strata. Also because they're low light corals you wouldn't want them taking up prime real estate on the top that you might want to save for some nice LPS corals later on. ;)

By the way I love the big doughnut-shaped rock! You could do stuff with that nice little cave in the middle.

Thanks!!! I think the pink shroom is splitting already actually.. thanks for the good advice! It's funny how my shrooms are already kept lower than anything else and I didn't even realize that they needed lower light. Good suggestions on some other colorful corals! i'll have to look into that in a month probably. I want to establish my tank a little more, especially since I added these corals a tad too soon. But everything seems fine so far, and the corals I got are pretty hardy as well I think. What ideas do you have for my rock cave? :P

Just as an update, my green hairy mushroom looks likes he's thinking about splitting as well :lol: and my kenya tree is slowly coming out!! yay! Overall, i'm just really pleased that everything's going well so far! *knock on wood*

Ok, just an update:

So far, my Kenya tree has grown a good 2 inches, or at least, extended. It was fully opened and everything. It also attached itself to my rock. Today, I took the rubberband off of it, and it got POed at me. Though I did accidently twanged it.. slippery rock :mellow: So now it's taking its time reopening heh. My pink shroom still hasn't attached, so i'll have to get some glue after all. My lfs didn't have any when I went to get some, though one of the employees said I could just get superglue that's gel and it would work as well. Is this a good/bad idea? Also, my snails keep knocking my ric rock off the top of my donut rock and I have to retrieve it everyday.. :angry: Going to have to glue that down as well.

I would really like to get another shrimp. I have one pep shrimp, anyone know of a good partner for them? My lfs doesn't usually have sexies, even though I wanted some, but they don't make really really great companions to peppermint shrimp anyway because they are smaller and get beat on. Anyway, any advice on a companion for my pep shrimp would be appreciated. :)

I think i'm going to get another crab. I miss having two. Though I don't want another hermit because i'm afraid my current hermit will eat him again.. However, I'm not sure if my tank has enough food for an emrald. My tank is virtually spotless.. Those astrea snails are ridiculous. Plus I have a few baby snails, stomatella and a white round one that's too small to identify; As well as my 6-7 brittle starfish. As it is, I spot feed my shrimp every day or so, a small pellet. he's so cute when he grabs it out of my fingers. And yet, he still goes around the sand picking at it for snacks! the little piggy!

That's about it, i'll take any advice/comments!

here's a pic of the tree when it was pretty open

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

It was about two inches taller than this even before I twanged it. Wish I took a picture before I removed the rubberband. -_-

The doughnut shaped rock is aquacultured, petco sells those same exact shapes.

That's interesting. I totally bought mine at my lfs... :huh: If it was aquacultured, is that bad? It was in the tank with the rest of the LR, but it does look different than my other LR... Not sure if I fully like it, but my starfish and shrimp do, so i'm sticking with it most likely.

Thanks!!! I think the pink shroom is splitting already actually.. thanks for the good advice! It's funny how my shrooms are already kept lower than anything else and I didn't even realize that they needed lower light. Good suggestions on some other colorful corals! i'll have to look into that in a month probably. I want to establish my tank a little more, especially since I added these corals a tad too soon. But everything seems fine so far, and the corals I got are pretty hardy as well I think. What ideas do you have for my rock cave? :P

If I were you I would definitely save that rock cave for a nice centerpiece. Maybe a nice LPS down the line? Like maybe a small Euphyllia (frogspawn or hammer) or sun corals if you're up to the challenge. Take your time and look around, you'll eventually find something that's perfect for that spot.

My pink shroom still hasn't attached, so i'll have to get some glue after all. My lfs didn't have any when I went to get some, though one of the employees said I could just get superglue that's gel and it would work as well. Is this a good/bad idea?

Yes, good old regular superglue will work perfectly. Just make sure it's cyanoacrylate.

I would really like to get another shrimp. I have one pep shrimp, anyone know of a good partner for them? My lfs doesn't usually have sexies, even though I wanted some, but they don't make really really great companions to peppermint shrimp anyway because they are smaller and get beat on. Anyway, any advice on a companion for my pep shrimp would be appreciated. :)

Peppermint shrimps and sexy shrimps should get along peacefully. My shrimps get along fine but I do have a love-hate relationship with my peppermint shrimp. I love him because he kills my aiptasia and adds interest and diversity to my tank. I hate him because he can be pushy and grabby and will steal food from corals. <_<

I think i'm going to get another crab. I miss having two. Though I don't want another hermit because i'm afraid my current hermit will eat him again.. However, I'm not sure if my tank has enough food for an emrald.

My emerald crab is efficient at eating bubble and hair algae. But again, there's that same love-hate relationship I have with the peppermint shrimp. All crabs are opportunistic omnivores and will pick on your corals if they don't get enough food. So if you don't have enough algae in your tank, be sure to target feed regularly so they don't bother your corals. ;)

Yeah, an LSP, I can see where you're going with that, el fab. Thanks for the advice! My lfs actually has some really nice stuff in their tanks in the back that I got a preview of today. Also, I made some deals with the guy to trade some of my coral for his coral when mine grows and splits. My pink shroom still hasn't attached itself yet, but its really not attached to rubble, so i'm going to keep the mesh over it until it does. That way I don't have to try and glue a slimy thing to a rough thing. Just doesn't seem like it would work out to well.

The lfs had some really nice green corals. I really liked the hard corals they had but I need to wait a few more weeks and get my new light before I do any of that. Future plans: green star polyp. Maybe a green monti or acropora. Their neon green monti is VERY nice, but i'm not sure if they could fragment it. Or if I could even afford a piece :P

They also had some sexies for $9 each, and i'm thinking about it :)

Anyway, that's about it so far, slow going, but worth it.

I would definitely hold out for a while before you get acropora, and wait for the new light for both of the stonies you mentioned

I wish my LFS sold neon green montis... <_< is it plating?

(P.S., do alot more chemistry research e.g Ca, alk, etc before you hit the SPS rack)

I would definitely hold out for a while before you get acropora, and wait for the new light for both of the stonies you mentioned

I wish my LFS sold neon green montis... <_< is it plating?

(P.S., do alot more chemistry research e.g Ca, alk, etc before you hit the SPS rack)

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely research before I add. Besides, i'm going to be waiting a while probably. I want to establish my tank with the new light and take care of the softies I want first :) I'm getting the new light next week. current usa satellite dual 2x18watt.

The neon green monti they had wasn't plating, but it was sooo vibrant. It looked radioactive :P . The others they had were plating. I'm not that familiar with plating (the process, if all montis do it), I just know what it looks like.

Montiporas are one thing but Acroporas are a whole other ballgame altogether and require stricter parameters than montis. I'm not saying you can't do it all but you'll really need to prepare your tank for it. Also keep in mind that lighting makes a huge difference in coloration so that vibrant metallic green SPS will look different under different lighting conditions. I've seen it happen with a couple of my corals although I'm still surprise at how well my orange monti cap has held up its color under my PC lighting.

They also had some sexies for $9 each, and i'm thinking about it :)

That's a really good price! You should jump on that once your tank is ready. :)

Montiporas are one thing but Acroporas are a whole other ballgame altogether and require stricter parameters than montis. I'm not saying you can't do it all but you'll really need to prepare your tank for it. Also keep in mind that lighting makes a huge difference in coloration so that vibrant metallic green SPS will look different under different lighting conditions. I've seen it happen with a couple of my corals although I'm still surprise at how well my orange monti cap has held up its color under my PC lighting.

That's a really good price! You should jump on that once your tank is ready. :)

Yeah, they have theirs under a huge T5 light. It might be sold by the time i'm ready for it anyway, so i'm not that eager. I'm just trying to plan ahead and figure out what will look good in my tank. So far my corals look good, but I really need some green and orange in there, maybe some yellow. We'll see what I can find in a couple weeks :)

Oh, I really do want to get those sexies :P

Wow... that's a great deal on Sexy Shrimp. :)

I hope they're still there for you!

When I went back, I didn't see them in the tank :angry: Someone either moved them, or bought them. Ah well. I'll just wait for them to order more...

I talked to a new lfs lady today. She told me to get rid of my pep shrimp :tears: I really like him though, and he hasn't picked on my ric yet... I'm going to keep him I think. Oh also, I was looking into what fish I want. and I either want a small clown goby and a small other type of goby. Or some sort of baby damsel. I would LOVE to have a purple firefish, but i've heard that they're major jumpers and my tank doesn't have a lid yet.

I got some new coral today, some zoas. Green with green in the center and green/red/organgy ones. Hopefully they'll open soon and i'll get a shot of them with my camera. :)

Archived