Pod Your Reef

My New Tank

littlemeggido

littlemeggido

It's a 3g Picotope (JBJ). So far everything is the stock equipment. Eventually I plan on upgrading the lighting and changing out the filter. It's been running for one week with about 5 lbs of Carib Sea LS, about 3.5 lbs of base rock. Yesterday I added about 1 lb of uncured LR. I will be letting this cycle for a few weeks before adding anything. Sorry, no pictures yet. I will probably be taking out some rock as it seems like a little too much.

At this point, i'm thinking about the cuc that I will add later when the time is right. I can't figure out what to get, i'd like to stay away from crabs and go strictly snail but i'm not sure which snails and how many of each. Any advice about this? I can't wait until this is done cycling.

The other question I had was about lighting. I wanted to add some T5's but in my searching, I have not been able to find any for this size tank. The shortest i've seen are 24" which is twice the length of this tank. It seems like they make them shorter, i've seen the bulbs at the LFS but I haven't found any fixtures. It seems that the shorter size are only in the Marineland AIO hoods. If I can't find T5's for this size, i'll most likely end up with the Dual Satellite which i've seen on many tanks here and think they look really nice.

That's all for now, hopefully i'll be abl to update later with some pics. I don't have my computer at the moment (i've been forced to use an alternate) so I can't download them.

littlemeggido
I was going to suggest the Current USA Dual Satellite. As far as a cuc I would add 1 nassarius, 1-2 ceriths and 1 astrea

Thanks for replying so quickly. I was just looking at your FS thread. lol.

That would be enough of a crew for this size of a tank?

I think that cuc will be good, the nassarius will clean the sand bed as well and the ceriths. The ceriths will go all over the tank as well and the astrea will cover the glass.

littlemeggido
I think that cuc will be good, the nassarius will clean the sand bed as well and the ceriths. The ceriths will go all over the tank as well and the astrea will cover the glass.

That sounds good. I wanted to be able to cover all of my bases. This is my first reef tank. Taking things slow and reading a lot before doing anything. Also trying to figure out what i'm going to be adding so I know what I need to get for them. There's a lot of learning to be had. Thanks

For snails, you would need some herbivores. The best option would be stomatellas and/or collonistas, which are usually found as hitchhikers on live rock. For snails you can buy ceriths, astraeas, trochus, and nerites are great. Also, scavengers are helpful, which can be bristle worms (also hitchhikers) and nassarius snails. You would only need a small number of snails for a pico.

For lighting, a 70W MH is great if you wanted to keep all types of corals. The smallest T5s are 18". Check out dapellegrini's tank for a 70W MH:

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=17

littlemeggido
For snails, you would need some herbivores. The best option would be stomatellas and/or collonistas, which are usually found as hitchhikers on live rock. For snails you can buy ceriths, astraeas, trochus, and nerites are great. Also, scavengers are helpful, which can be bristle worms (also hitchhikers) and nassarius snails. You would only need a small number of snails for a pico.

For lighting, a 70W MH is great if you wanted to keep all types of corals. The smallest T5s are 18". Check out dapellegrini's tank for a 70W MH:

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=17

The LR I got doesn't seem to have any hitchhikers so I guess i'm out on those ones for now. Maybe when I get a larger tank set up and I need to get more LR I'll be able to get some hitchhikers.

The T5 bulb I saw at the store was 10" and made by Marineland which I later saw the hood that it would go into at Petco.

dapellegrini's tank is beautiful, I could only dream about getting my tank as nice as. I'm a bit new to reefkeeping and learning as I go (or before I go as I do research first). Thanks for the input and please feel free to throw any other tips/advice my way!

I have 5 astreas, 1 nass, and 4 hermit crabs. Ceriths are great sand bed cleaners, maybe get a scarlet crab also.

I've been seeing some of the crabs lately and they do grow on you, however, my wife and I are a bit paranoid when it comes to them. My parents had a seahorse tank back in the late 70's or so. Everything kept dying and they couldn't figure out why. It turned out that it was because of a crab. Since we heard about this, we decided definately no crabs. Snails and others seem the way to go. Thanks!

Archived