SaltCritters.com

jds's BC 29 - my first nano reef/salt tank

jds

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So to help with the algae I decided that I needed a few more glass cleaners.

M-IMG_2767.JPG

M-IMG_2764.JPG

One good shots of the Paly rock.

M-IMG_2766.JPG

A frag from ermartin of his galaxy (thanks Erik)

M-IMG_2765.JPG

M-IMG_2765.JPG

Is that galaxia? or tooth coral? or all the other names it is? If so watch out it stings the S*** out of other corals in a big radius of it. Just watch out if it is. want your tank pretty not beat up. :)

Just checking in a few updates. Things have been progressing quite nicely, knock on wood. I installed my new 144w hood, from phaze5, and damn its like night and day compared to stock lighting. I'm running 1-Antic,1-12k white, and 2-50/50 10k/Antic bulbs. I do believe my corals like it.

I just did my 20% water change and in doing so put in chemi-pure/purigen and some filter padding. I finally removed the stock sponge in the 3rd chamber, I hope that doesnt throw the filtration off.

So in the filtration equation does Chemi-Pure+Purigen+Filter pad = Stock sponge?

Here are some updated pics:

Someone got a new shell! The hermit and snail from the previous posted photos have merged.

M-IMG_2794.JPG

Random shot

M-IMG_2818.JPG

One the twins trying to sneak into the shot of the Devils Eyes

M-IMG_2802.JPG

M-IMG_2821.JPG

M-IMG_2817.JPG

A few frags from reefCrawler and a LFS

M-IMG_2805.JPG

M-IMG_2808.JPG

M-IMG_2815.JPG

My original hitchhiker polyps

M-IMG_2814.JPG

Latest FTS:

M-IMG_2798.JPG

Lookin really good. I love the blue on that hermit. I was thinking of getting one, but was (am) concerned about him eating my snails.

Lookin really good. I love the blue on that hermit. I was thinking of getting one, but was (am) concerned about him eating my snails.

Haha, well you can see that happened. I just replace them when they eat each other. So is life I guess.

-jds

Haha, well you can see that happened. I just replace them when they eat each other. So is life I guess.

-jds

Yeah. Those sweet blue legs might be worth it to me soon. We'll see.

What do you use for your pics? They look real good.

Also, what is the fan noise like on that lighting upgrade?

Yeah. Those sweet blue legs might be worth it to me soon. We'll see.

What do you use for your pics? They look real good.

Also, what is the fan noise like on that lighting upgrade?

I use my Canon EOS Digital Rebel (circa 2004), F-stop: f/5.6, Exposure: 1/40 sec, ISO:400

The fans were upgraded to the evercool 60x60s and are pretty quiet. I have an older pair on my BC14 and they are a bit louder. They are pretty cheap and I will probably be replacing those soon.

Your tank looks so good and those clowns are awesome. I love your rock work.

Thanks, I spent some time reworking after I lost a rock to the Mantis. I really like this Utah dead rock as filler and really makes great caves. My BC14 has some of it as well.

Trying my hand at night shots....

I was trying to get the bright neon green zoa's

M-IMG_2839.JPG

Further shots of Zoa hill

M-IMG_2841.JPG

M-IMG_2842.JPG

-jds

hey , nice job on the tank so far keep up the good work,

advice, keep an eye on those original button palys that came on your lr they will multiply very fast or at least did in my tank, much faster than many of my different zoa frags....thing is i like a lot of the color of the zoa frags i have and would prefer them to grow everywhere and not so much the button palys. they also randomly showed up in new places and multiplyed fast so i had to remove some and constantly have too every 3 months or so

:)

JDS

Did you do the nanotuners 144watt upgrade? If so what are the goods and bads. I have been debating weather to do it or not and I cant decide. Feed back would be awesome. You can post to here or my page. My page would be more convenient. Thanks

JDS

Did you do the nanotuners 144watt upgrade? If so what are the goods and bads. I have been debating weather to do it or not and I cant decide. Feed back would be awesome. You can post to here or my page. My page would be more convenient. Thanks

Post it here, as I am interested too. In particular, what is the fan noise like.

I will try to shoot some video and let you guys hear the ambient noise from the room and fans. The BC29 has what equates to a nanocustoms 144w upgrade. I got it from phaze5 here on the board and it has 4 ballasts but a few not controlled by the switches. I use a timer so I dont care, but I dont know what the nanocustoms one does. I did install the evercool fans from nanotuners. They are nice, a bit louder than stock but produce a bit more CFM at 20.26. I also looked at the silentx fans but couldnt for the life of me imagine them under the bulbs since they are 2x taller than the evercools. They are quieter but dont produce the same CFM. I also have the nanocustoms kit installed in my BC14. I agaiin have older evercools in there and they are a bit more noisy. I think they are approaching 6 months old as I got the tank used.

Either way its not that loud for me. My tanks are in my family room and the tv is always on. I will get a better idea when my mother comes to visit as she sleeps in the fold out bed there so she will definately comment on the fan noise if its bad :lol:

-jds

The SilneX fans are not available on the 144w nanotuners upgrade for the reason you mentioned. I am thinking of getting the 108W with silnex. Noise level is very important to me :-)

You can hear the fans, I dont hear the water or pump hum. I would say its only slightly louder than that. The Flip MinoHD is about 2ft away and the background noise of the horn is my kids downstairs playing with their toys.

Hope that helps. If not you can stop by. ;)

-jds

• 2 weeks later...

A pic of my new frogspawn from jeffblly. Thanks Jeff, its opening up quite well for less than 3hrs in tank.

M-IMG_2859.JPG

A few frags

M-IMG_2851.JPG

M-IMG_2852.JPG

M-IMG_2853.JPG

-jds

Its looking clean. I like it.

Be careful of the stingers. They rule the aquarium. Even the GSP cant handle their sting. My pagoda cup is just now starting to heal after the accidental touching when I took them out for you.

Its looking clean. I like it.

Be careful of the stingers. They rule the aquarium. Even the GSP cant handle their sting. My pagoda cup is just now starting to heal after the accidental touching when I took them out for you.

yes the small left one is in touching distance, need to move him. I think the bigger is ok. I havent seen anyone close up or fall off yet...

-jds

Archived