ReefCleaners.org

Garden Eel?

Atomic081

I was at the Newport aquarium in Cincinnati and i saw a tank filled with garden eels. These little guys were so cool. They burrow in the sand and pop only there heads out. I thought one might be cool to have in a tank. Does anyone have any info on these?

Thanks

Mat, your article helped me tremendously when I began collecting them. Great job with the article! Very informational and highly recommended.

Unless one is willing to cater to their needs, I wouldn't recommend one in a reef tank. They are more suitable for a dedicated tank or a seahorse tank. Deep Deep DSB is a must and their need for frequent feeding is important as well. If you can take the time to set up a proper environment for them, they are pretty much hardy. HTH,

Mat, your article helped me tremendously when I began collecting them. Great job with the article! Very informational and highly recommended.

Unless one is willing to cater to their needs, I wouldn't recommend one in a reef tank. They are more suitable for a dedicated tank or a seahorse tank. Deep Deep DSB is a must and their need for frequent feeding is important as well. If you can take the time to set up a proper environment for them, they are pretty much hardy. HTH,

Thanks Kigs! Your tank is amazing! I'm glad the article helped and hope that more people try to keep garden eels in carefully prepared tanks like yours.

Wouldn't having a tank with a DSB and garden eels be asking for trouble? I would think that the eels would stir the sandbed and that could be disastrous.

we got a few of them in at work a few weeks back and i added another 4 inches of sand to the tank they were being housed in and they did really well and they were really cool to watch

so cool infact i almost got fired for sitting in front of the tank and zoning out on them instead of helping customers haha omgomgomg

• 2 years later...

just put a garden eel i my cad 22, it swam around the first two days now its under my main rock with its head barely sticking out it looks like it can barely breath. im scared my sand bed is only 3 inches in good spots

man just read that article and garden eels are no joke. You need a serious set up to keep those bad boys.

yeah! ive always wanted animals like eels, seahorses, and whatnot but i was let down that my tank is just unsuitable for them. one day perhaps :P

Wouldn't having a tank with a DSB and garden eels be asking for trouble? I would think that the eels would stir the sandbed and that could be disastrous.

They don't exactly stir the sandbed. They do move from time to time but when they do they drill their tails into the sand. If you could magically make a garden eel disappear you wouldn't even see a hole where it once was because they bury themselves. They don't excavate a burrow like a jawfish or shrimp/goby pair.

ThePhilosopher

The LFS I frequent has a display tank with a garden eel along with other fish and corals. It doesn't do much. It usually just pops its tail out of the sand while it remains buried. Of all the numerous hours I've spent staring at this LFS's display tank, I've never once seen the garden eel swim around.

They don't swim around unless they are being harassed or something unearths them. When they do move holes, it takes all of about 5 seconds.

Archived