Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Recommendations for Trace Elements

Fsurocks99

What is the best kind out there? Or what has given you the best results? My tank is a moded biocube 14 and is mostly sps with a few zoas. I was thinking of trying out the tropic marin A and K or the trace elements from Brightwell aquatics.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Water changes are all you need. :)

I know that but some people also say if you have a nano you don't need to dose calcium, mag, or strontium, but i do and have had fantastic results in both growth and color.

Water changes are usualy enough. But some salt mixes are a little low in some trace elements and are rapidly depleated and suplements are needed to keep them at their optimum levels. Its easy to over do it unless your testing for the levels of what element your dosing. IMO a quality 2 part is usually the best way to go.

supreme_spork
I know that but some people also say if you have a nano you don't need to dose calcium, mag, or strontium, but i do and have had fantastic results in both growth and color.

I hope you're not dosing anything you're not testing for.

Dosing has absolutely nothing to do with the size of your tank and absolutely everything to do with what you have in it -- if you have a tank that's dominated with SPS corals, you will likely need to dose calcium... but you should dose based on the specific needs of your tank and not just randomly be dumping stuff in there.

Right now im in the process of figuring out the depletion ratio of calcium, mag, and strontium, so then i will know how much to dose.

What is the best kind out there? Or what has given you the best results? My tank is a moded biocube 14 and is mostly sps with a few zoas. I was thinking of trying out the tropic marin A and K or the trace elements from Brightwell aquatics.

I use Salifert Trace Elements and Elos Extra Trace. In my opinion, they make your water closer to actual seawater and as long as you dose according to instructions you shouldn't have any issues.

I use Salifert Trace Elements and Elos Extra Trace. In my opinion, they make your water closer to actual seawater and as long as you dose according to instructions you shouldn't have any issues.

How does it make your water closer to NSW if you cannot test for it?

Its not exactly a matter of opinion, lol.

I regularly purchase the LE Fart In-A-Bag from Prop and connect the airline from my skimmer into the bag so the product is diffused into my tank via the skimmer. You should see the colors I get!

You just have to remember to add it slowly or you could get precipitation and algae.

I'd think less in terms of "What should I dose" and more in terms of "What parameters should I be trying to maintain." For example, I think magnesium is an element worth maintaining (mostly for Ca/Alk maintenance, a topic beyond the scope of my post). But whether I dose a magnesium supplement depends upon my salt's magnesium content. I use IO salt, so I find some magnesium dosing is necessary sometimes. But with another salt, you might not. So again, think more in terms of "what parameters should I be trying to maintain" and how, and less about "what should I pour into my tank."

As for what elements do I think are worth maintaining? Ca/Alk/Magnesium/pH. These are the most crucial imo (as studies have strongly correlated coral/corralline growth with these parameters). Next on my list would be iodine/strontium/iron (less important, more easily replenished by most salts, and less empirical evidence to support their use). Finally, I would forgo any all-in-one additive that claims to contain all the "trace" elements you need. Imo there is insufficient evidence to support the necessity or helpfulness of these "trace" elements (and really there is an endless list), and without testing, who knows what levels we're maintaining them at.

I'd think less in terms of "What should I dose" and more in terms of "What parameters should I be trying to maintain." For example, I think magnesium is an element worth maintaining (mostly for Ca/Alk maintenance, a topic beyond the scope of my post). But whether I dose a magnesium supplement depends upon my salt's magnesium content. I use IO salt, so I find some magnesium dosing is necessary sometimes. But with another salt, you might not. So again, think more in terms of "what parameters should I be trying to maintain" and how, and less about "what should I pour into my tank."

As for what elements do I think are worth maintaining? Ca/Alk/Magnesium/pH. These are the most crucial imo (as studies have strongly correlated coral/corralline growth with these parameters). Next on my list would be iodine/strontium/iron (less important, more easily replenished by most salts, and less empirical evidence to support their use). Finally, I would forgo any all-in-one additive that claims to contain all the "trace" elements you need. Imo there is insufficient evidence to support the necessity or helpfulness of these "trace" elements (and really there is an endless list), and without testing, who knows what levels we're maintaining them at.

Wow. Very well stated and now I feel bad for posting such a smart alek answer. I agree completely. Here's a good article to read which should help:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Generally I think trace elements are not necessary for small lightly stocked tanks. When tanks get larger or are HEAVILY stocked then there may be a reason to dose trace elements. Finally, I think dosing trace elements could be useful for those who do not perform water changes. Although I personally do not subscribe to this methodology, I have a buddy who does. He's got a 120 heavily stocked BEAUTIFUL SPS tank. He does like 3 water changes a year so obvisouly his trace elemets are not being replenished with water changes. He doses trace elements and I don't blame him.

The Propagator
I regularly purchase the LE Fart In-A-Bag from Prop and connect the airline from my skimmer into the bag so the product is diffused into my tank via the skimmer. You should see the colors I get!

You just have to remember to add it slowly or you could get precipitation and algae.

:haha:

OMFG THAT IS THE FUNNIEST SHEET I HAVE READ ALL DAY !!

I figure between a weekly water change and dosing tropic marin calcium and mag every night, which both contain 70 trace elements, that i will be fine.

The Propagator

Its the concentration available in each ( quantity ) versus what your coral are consuming that is what you need to find the magic number for.

I can fit 70 trace elements in bottled water, it will still be clear and you would barely taste it with low concentration. That's why I does them ( as well as most things ) separately.

Its the concentration available in each ( quantity ) versus what your coral are consuming that is what you need to find the magic number for.

I can fit 70 trace elements in bottled water, it will still be clear and you would barely taste it with low concentration. That's why I does them ( as well as most things ) separately.

So what do mean cause my tank goes through calcium, mag, and strontium quickly. I'm not saying this is true for all the trace elements, but im sure its close.

The Propagator

I mean you just need to buy a bottle of straight up trace elements and dose them separately instead of relying on a product meant to buffer something else with a few trace elements thrown in it. ;)

bump

Amino Acids and trace elements are two TOTALLY different beasts are are added for different reasons. I add Amino's to my tank to help feed my SPS.

Amino Acids and trace elements are two TOTALLY different beasts are are added for different reasons. I add Amino's to my tank to help feed my SPS.

Were there any noticeable changes with sps? Color, growth, etc.

Also what type do you use? Or who makes it?

Were there any noticeable changes with sps? Color, growth, etc.

Also what type do you use? Or who makes it?

I see changes for sure, but I think I've got a medium size bio load with a large export system. I use Warner Marine Aminos.

Archived