Pod Your Reef

Clicking sound from tank...

Cytosol

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH ######!!!

I have had a clicking noise from my tank as well...in the past 1-2 weeks.

NOOOO I DON'T WANT A MANTIS!!!

I honestly thought my snails we doing the doo and I kept laughing saying, "man...that male snail must really be giving it to her"...

I keep hearing a clicking noise and it was loud as hell...I defaulted to my snails because there were about 5 of them on the top of the glass...around the surface.

Now I'm worried...I have 1 fire fish in the tank along with a cleanup crew. Besides waiting around at 3am with a flash light...how can I tell if it's a mantis?

Also...the clicking has stopped in the past few days.

I FOUND IT! I was looking at my LR and noticed some big buggy eyes sticking out at me from my rock.. It has not come out of the hole it burrowed, but I am 90% sure it is a mantis shrimp. The eyes look the same and its big claws look the same as well. It is luckily very small and I would guess maybe an inch long at most.. It is very reclusive and scares easily, but I will take a look tonight to see if this guy will come out.

So I know what hole in the LR he is living in.. how can I get him out of there without killing him? I definitely want to throw him into another tank

I FOUND IT! I was looking at my LR and noticed some big buggy eyes sticking out at me from my rock.. It has not come out of the hole it burrowed, but I am 90% sure it is a mantis shrimp. The eyes look the same and its big claws look the same as well. It is luckily very small and I would guess maybe an inch long at most.. It is very reclusive and scares easily, but I will take a look tonight to see if this guy will come out.

So I know what hole in the LR he is living in.. how can I get him out of there without killing him? I definitely want to throw him into another tank

more FW dipping

Unfortuantely the rock he is laid up in has a TON of life on it, including several corals and polyps.. I don't exactly want to dunk it in FW.

What if I squired FW in its hole? Would that cause him to jump ship? Should I try very cold or hot FW as well? I want to have an action plan when I take this rock out..

Could this be anything else? It was difficult to see him, but he was definitely dark in color, almost black. I only saw the front of it and it was definitely a shrimp. Its pretty obvious that he dug the hole, and I saw two dark redish eyes, 2 antenna and 2 other 'things' that I would assume were its claws. His size would also account for the sound I heard.. Would any other type of tunnel digging shrimp match this discription?

Well depending on what it is, I haven't quite decided what to do with it yet.. If it is indeed a mantis, I might get a 3-5G tank and throw him in there. I was planning on getting a smaller nano anyways, so it might do well in there.. I will let you guys know what it is when I get it out, as well as take pictures.

Also, I tried the shrimp trap a few weeks ago with no success. But since I know where he lives, I might be able to position it right around his hole so when he comes out he falls right into it.. First I will try the cold FW in his hole method to see if he comes out. I have a small syringe I could use to do that.

Ahhh.. So he showed his pretty face again this morning and I removed the rock in which he was holding up in. I let it drain over a bucket for about 20 minutes then started squirting in cold FW. I did this for about 10 minutes (the water drained out to several other holes in the back of the rock) but he didn't come out.

Then I moved on to very hot (but not boiling) FW.. 10 minutes of squirting, still nothing. Then I tried spraying air in his hole with an air can.. no luck. Then I let the rock sit on a container for a half hour, elevated above the water.. Nothing.

Admitting defeat, I put the rock back in the water. 10 minutes later, there it was.. sticking its head out the hole like nothing happened. Epic fail could not be more accurate for this attempt.

So either:

1) When I removed the rock, he jumped out and hid elsewhere in my tank, then when the rock went in, he crawled back into his hole.. or..

2) He has dug an extremely deep cavern in the rock where the FW attack didn't reach him.. or..

3) He is freaking invincible

I am probably going out to buy a 3G tank today and throw the rock in there. I was planning on adding some shrimp and fish today, but I think it might be better that I get rid of this thing first.

LIAR...

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU...WE NEED PICS!!!

I was reading and I think the clickin in my tank could be a pistol shrimp...post some pics please!!!

I positioned the LR right by the front of the tank so when he pops his head out again I will take a picture. He has not been out for a few hours, but I will take a picture as soon as I see him again.

Again, I am not saying this is a mantis shrimp for sure, since the positioning of his hole made him look very dark and tough to distinguish features. However, I am sure it was a shrimp of some sort, and the only type of shrimp that can dig holes are mantis and pistol shrimps. This guy had two big redish eyes and antenna sticking out, along with 2 round looking, equal sized claws. Pistol shrimp usually have one larger claw, so it can be ruled out as well.

Unfortuantely the rock he is laid up in has a TON of life on it, including several corals and polyps.. I don't exactly want to dunk it in FW.

What if I squired FW in its hole? Would that cause him to jump ship? Should I try very cold or hot FW as well? I want to have an action plan when I take this rock out..

Could this be anything else? It was difficult to see him, but he was definitely dark in color, almost black. I only saw the front of it and it was definitely a shrimp. Its pretty obvious that he dug the hole, and I saw two dark redish eyes, 2 antenna and 2 other 'things' that I would assume were its claws. His size would also account for the sound I heard.. Would any other type of tunnel digging shrimp match this discription?

Use Seltzer Water. Spray it in his hole. He will come out pretty quickly, normally.

I just tried to flush out a HUGE crab (bad bad crab) with hot FW. Baked and killed him. He came out in pieces after that. Oops. Lesson learned. Cold water does work. I have gotten three crabs out with cold FW. This guy was bigger and stubborn, but hot water was not so good. I would keep at him with CFW. Good luck, this thread is addicting.

This is for all the non-believers out there.. A blurry, sketchy picture of my little buddy:

post-40546-1235439757_thumb.jpg

Seriously, how do you take a good livestock picture? I have to zoom in a bit to take this picture, and out of all my picture modes, the Digital Maco mode turned out the best results... Which look like crap, as you can see.

Anyways, after studying it for almost a half hour today, I am 100% sure this is a Clown Mantis Shrimp. I got a good flashlight, and I can see the green and blue and red colorations, and its eyes are INSANE. They move independently from eachother and when they blink, it just looks.. crazy. It has not yet completely come out of its hole, the most I have seen is just its head, eyes, and claws.. or pom-pom's.

This thing is extremely fascinating and I seriously can't believe I have one in my tank.. I went back to my LFS and he said he has never seen a Clown Mantis come in his LR shipments in the 3 years he has been in business and offered me $50 store credit to take it off my hands.. I think I might start up a pico for this guy, however.

So yeah, squirting a cup of boiling water into its hole didn't deter it, I think I will try the club soda technique.. Or to cut the risk of harming him, I might just throw the whole rock into a pico tank and watch him grow. What can I feed this guy? I have several hermits, 2 camel shrimp, and about 10 snails. None of which have been harmed that I can see.. Except for an astrea that mysteriously died a few days ago...

Congratulations...you've definitely got a mantis!

God...they give me nightmares! :scarry:

I've had clicking too...but nothing missing, so I am assuming it's just a hidden pistol.

Goodluck getting the beast out.

i am happy to see that you are welcoming what most would think is a pest.

all of natures creatures deserve a home. PICO BUILD! or maybe you have a sump that you could put him in? That would be way cooler

Congratulations...you've definitely got a mantis!

God...they give me nightmares! :scarry:

I've had clicking too...but nothing missing, so I am assuming it's just a hidden pistol.

Goodluck getting the beast out.

+1 to bold. that thing will take your finger off be carefuller

Archived