Cultivated Reef

Mini nem splitting

Lalani

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the trouble?

Im unsure how to feed it. Its super sticky, and super red. but it doesnt wrap its mouth up when I stick food to it. Do I have to stick it onto the mouth itself? and what are you guys feeding anyways?.

before anyone asks, i sowwies. theres a long list

i lost mine too... something's not right.

:(

A cursed nem? :scarry:

Let's see how Lmecher's fairs, before I go and spend the $ on one..

Im unsure how to feed it. Its super sticky, and super red. but it doesnt wrap its mouth up when I stick food to it. Do I have to stick it onto the mouth itself? and what are you guys feeding anyways?.

before anyone asks, i sowwies. theres a long list

Ah, so it's one of those red ones.. Are we sure what specific type of nem it is, adin?

When I feed my minis, I just take bits of food, with a pair of forceps, and push it against the nem.. not necessarily on the mouth, but anywhere on them and they close up around the food fairly quickly. They like meaty bits of food. I've tried flake and they tend to spit it out.

Yeah, I know, the algae is a disgrace. :(

It's only one little patch, but I've been too lazy to yank it out.. blah.

Night shot of the nem last night, pre-split:

IMG_2358.jpg

Other one:

IMG_2369.jpg

Wow that night shot is pretty awesome!

Yikes, don't say it is cursed. I am going to move the first split into a different tank, not taking any chances. Thanks a lot, my happy moment was was ruined. You guys are a bunch of downers. Maybe I won't post a photo of it.

Just kidding I am very worried though, now I am gonna go to my happy place and say a prayer that all goes well with shipping.

Anyone know how to break a curse??

The second split I will give to someone else for safe keeping, that will triple my chances.

You guys really got me worried, I have maybe 40, never lost one, will this be the first. I am officially miserable, probibly won't get any sleep tonight.

Anyone want to share why they lost their red mini carpet?

I would like to increase my chances so I will have some to sell in the future.

LOL, didn't mean to scare you, and do post a pic for us when you get it. :P

Not sure exactly how adin lost his, but I think it was soon after it split.

Daniel's died during a tank crash when a BTA bit the dust. He lost a few nems during that snafu. :(

Well, just rearranging my mini tank because I need to have an open rock for tomorrow hmm hmm...

I discovered a mini just split. Since after all the title of this thread is mini split, thought I'd share. Water a little cloudy from moving the rocks about but you can get the idea.

minisplit.jpg

Yikes, don't say it is cursed. I am going to move the first split into a different tank, not taking any chances. Thanks a lot, my happy moment was was ruined. You guys are a bunch of downers. Maybe I won't post a photo of it.

Just kidding I am very worried though, now I am gonna go to my happy place and say a prayer that all goes well with shipping.

Anyone know how to break a curse??

The second split I will give to someone else for safe keeping, that will triple my chances.

You guys really got me worried, I have maybe 40, never lost one, will this be the first. I am officially miserable, probibly won't get any sleep tonight.

Anyone want to share why they lost their red mini carpet?

I would like to increase my chances so I will have some to sell in the future.

don't buy BTAs. they go kamikaze on the rest of the tank. :angry:

Started with 1 rbta, a gift, several years ago, now I have 10. I have sold a couple too. I have had terrific luck, never lost any.

Here is an update on the mini split.

minisplitupdate.jpg

On the same rock above that one, another is starting, They are like tribbles I tell you.

andanother.jpg

I feed them every other day, I alternate between large mysis, krill, and shrimp. I feed each by hand to make sure they all get fed. When I don't want them to reproduce so often, I stop. I just sold off, a lot maybe 20-30, and have a few more to go. They are under 72 w. of T5's lighting in a 15 gallon. I am blasting them to see if it improves color, seem to be helping. I dose with B-ionics and I keep magnesium around 1300ppm. I used to add selcon to the food but some reject it so maybe once a week I add a few drops to the tank. What else...SG 1.024 and temp close to 80.

Archived