Top Shelf Aquatics

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

spanko - nope the first time ever! But its look great, of course I have some small bubbles here and there but nothing to be worried about. I may try and make some sumps to sell on here

PINOY - thanks a lot!

I hope to have the water test this weekend!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Marvin!

I look forward to getting some corals from you ;)

I just ordered black PVC from savko. Then off to the local builder store to get 400/600 grit sand paper!

-Dave

Looks great. Can you tell the brand, type and thickness of the acrylic you used. I want to try my hand at making my own tank as well. I will be tagging along.

Well a few more updates. I have the eurobrace down and painted my background and overflow black.

Today I should finish up with the build of the tank. I will just need to drill the holes for the overflow and return and one in my sump. I am going to run my pump external this time. I just did a water test and it looks good to go!

So if anyone is thinking of doing a DIY acrylic tank here's a few things I learned. If its your first time use Weld-On #4. I used #3 and this stuff sets up quick! I ended up picking up some Weld-On 16 for the bottom seams just in case( Im sure I didnt need it but I want this tank for multiple years). Do not cut the acrylic in your house like I did, it will make it look like you have a artificial snow machine in the house. Get your acrylic cut for you then make the precise cuts with the router. Have someone else to help you out! When using he PIN method and shims have someone go around with the weld-on and another pulling the pins and pushing the shims as needed.

Overall doing this project I ended up saving around 200$. Its a great feeling knowing that you did a majority of the work to your tank. I had a few headaches from breathing the fumes but I slept those off ;)

I'm off to Lowes to buy something to cut for my 1" bulkhead. I should have everything up this Sunday and maybe a few frags sometime during the week. My rock has been curing for a month or so and my skimmer has pulled out everything it can!

Now for a few more images!

IMG_3233-vi.jpg

IMG_3234-vi.jpg

IMG_3235-vi.jpg

IMG_3236-vi.jpg

IMG_3237-vi.jpg

Mexican Acrylic.

Fabricating acrylic is fun...makes me want to build another tank! It allows you to get your head inside the tank, picturing how everything is gonna look before it is even built. really good feeling right there.

I few updates...

I got the lips router off. The overflow is all in. All the holes are drilled and bulkheads installed.

I will get it plumbed and the lights up this week. We had a snow storm here again so things where pushed back some.

I'll get pictures up ASAP

A few updates on future plans... DIY Nano Wavebox with a 6055 and a DIY Cone skimmer.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates... I got strapped for money this past week so it put a few things to the back burner.

Anyways I have my lights over my rubbermaid now and have a RBTA in there with it. It came from a friends tank who just broke it down. Along with that I was able to get a Eheim 1260 pump and I will be using that instead of the Marineland.

The projects I am on now....

DIY Calcium Reactor - I have extra acrylic and a eheim 1046 pump. So needless to say I am going to set one up soon

Cone Skimmer - I love this H&S but I think I can build a cone skimmer with no problem. Plus it would be a really fun project.

New Sump - Smaller design so I can get the calcium reactor and pump under my stand and running external.

I'll try and grab my camera and take a few shots of the finished tank. It turned out great! I'll have my current sump and pump for sale online soon!

-Dave

Well I will have pictures of the tank tm!

Its all set up besides the lights. I built a PVC dodad to hold them up and doesnt look to bad.

So far I have...

RBTA

RedPlanet

Purple Polyp Birdsnest

ORA Green Birdsnest

Browned out cap but should turn green with blue polyps

Blue Tipped acro ( not sure what name )

I should have a Snowflake clownfish next week and a few other frags.

Check in tm for pictures!

-D

Well here's a few pictures. Im sorry they that they are so bad.

I am really pleased on how the tank has turned out. I took some of the Amano FW tank look and tried to make my rock look kinda like that. you never know how the coral will grow but hey I think it will turn out looking good.

Once I get my camera charged back up I will snap some from all over. I designed the rock to be easy to clean from ALL sides. I have a TON of flow in the tank too. 2100ish so I think It will keep everything moving. I do need to put some loc-line in the return hole because I am getting air bubbles and then creating a vortex where my modded tunze is.

I just ordered 10 glass red dot cardinals ( small schooling fish ) and a couple trimma gobies. I really want a peaceful yet diverse tank.

I had to ditch the RBTA because it got sucked in my overflow and almost made my tank overflow! My stock list so far is purple polyp birdsnest, Red Planet, Blue/Green Tip Acro, ORA Green Birdsnest, green with blue polyp cap. Everything has great polyp extension but the I think I will get more corals once I put the fish in there tm. Nothing is better for sps than POOP!

Next week I have a shipment coming in with the following....

Tyree Setosa

Purple Bonsai

Purple Rim Efflo

Lime in the Sky

ATL Pink Polyp Cap

Bubblegum monster Chalice

Here's a FTS

IMG_3239-vi.jpg

IMG_3240-vi.jpg

Again sorry for the bad pictures. I was snapping a picture then the camera would die :(

-Dave

Looks rockin' Dave. Great job on the overall scape and open feel. I wouldn't add a single piece of rock....looks nice and open with plenty of space for coral growth.

Thanks Adam,

Once I get better pictures you will be able to see the rock WAY better. There are tons of holes and stuff too.

I should be picking up the small cardinal fish today!

-Dave

Here's a bad top down picture.

I really dont want to add a bridge. This is going to be mostly SPS and I will need it to grow out. Therefor I need plenty or room for flow. Thanks for your input though!

DSCN0613-vi.jpg

I am running a 2 Blue Plus's, UV 75/25, Aquablue

I really like the combo. It looks super blue in these pictures but in person its a nice crisp white/blue.

-Dave

I am running a 2 Blue Plus's, UV 75/25, Aquablue

I really like the combo. It looks super blue in these pictures but in person its a nice crisp white/blue.

-Dave

Definitely a great combo. I am running two Blue +, UVL 75/25, one Aquablue Special, and one Aquascience 22k. I tend to like a little more blue pop to my corals so I might ditch the last AquaBlue or UVL and add another Blue Plus. For how blue the Blue Plus are, they sure can pump out the PAR.

Small update...

I have 10 red dot glass cardinals now. These guys are bad shippers so I ordered 12. One died on the way here and one died over night. I knew he was not going to make it because he did not school with the others. These guys are AWESOME looking. Small schooling fish in a nano :)

I also got a yasha and pistol combo.

Really excited about how its turning out. I am receiving my second frag pack on Tuesday which will include Setosa, ATL Pink Cap, Purple Bonsai, Efflo and Lime in the Sky. I think this will tide me over for a little bit.

-Dave

I should have pictures this afternoon if I can dip out of work early.

Just checked out what red dot cardinal fish look like and I bet they look really cool schooling in your tank. Are these the ones you got: http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uplo...t-cardinals.jpg.

I've always wanted a yasha and pistol combo as well. With home many times I've had to move my tanks, I just always thought the pistol and yasha would be ridiculously tough to catch though.

Can't wait to see pictures of the frags you got next week.

Archived