Top Shelf Aquatics

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoop! Just got the RKL and all I want to do it get this baby hooked up!

-Dave

Sweet. Let me know if you have any probs programming it. Pretty easy to do and there are some step-by-steps on how to do it on the Digital Aquatics forum as well.

This little toy is great! Only thing is I cant get my heater hooked up. I do all the programming the point I want it and the point I want it turn on but I just cant get it.

I have it on 78.5... heater turns on when its at 77.5. But I cant get the slot to see the heater? I am kinda stumped.

-Dave

This little toy is great! Only thing is I cant get my heater hooked up. I do all the programming the point I want it and the point I want it turn on but I just cant get it.

I have it on 78.5... heater turns on when its at 77.5. But I cant get the slot to see the heater? I am kinda stumped.

-Dave

I could explain it to you, but call their tech support line. Excellent service, and it's the product engineers who answer the phone. You may need to upgrade the firmware and reset the device. Mine was buggy out of the box.

NEED HELP!

Hey guys,

I just need a little help. Everything has been going well with my tank until that past couple of weeks. It first started with my Setosa, A couple of the tips started to look pale or kinda STN. The only problem is the tissue is almost white/pale orange and the polyps are still extending far. It then spread to another branch and with the same stuff.

Before I left to the beach my Purple Bonsai looked like it was a ALK burn. It started to get pale but the polyps were out but not fully, but only at the base. It looks like it could be turning around.

My ALK is a little low 6.5-7, but I have been dosing C-Balance and hopefully I will get that back up. My Temp stays very consistent. I have been dosing MB7/vodka for a month or so but I just stopped because of the paleness.

Any help would be great! I have a low bio-load too, clown, blenny, cardinal and goby shrimp pair.

Pictures of the Setosa...

Month or so ago...

IMG_3669-vi.jpg

a few days ago...

IMG_3777-vi.jpg

P.S - I also added a K1 to my sump to get the crap out of there, and I upgraded my skimmer to a iTech.

-Dave

Sorry I missed this post Dave...I was actually coming here to ask you how your colors have been doing.

Here is what I think is causing your colors to be pale as well as a little STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis) -

• You're dosing too much Vodka and MB7 and the corals are starving a bit as a result. The water is just a little too clean. As you know, I started experiencing this last week, cut my MB7 and Vodka in 1/2 and now the colors are coming back with a vengeance.
  • You said that you haven't gotten an Alk/Ca daily dosing schedule. You mentioned that your Alk was really low (6.5-7) so I would definitely try and address that first and foremost. Getting that in check and stable is probably more important than the Vodka/MB7 dosing amounts. I know I'm preaching to the choir though :)
  • You have one big, bad a$$ skimmer on a pretty small tank. That, combined with the Vodka/MB7 is starving your corals even more, hence the pale colors.

If I were you, I would jump on the Alk situation first as the colors are more dependent on lighting, PO4, and Nitrates (which you can address later with feeding, etc). I still struggle at times keeping things consistently dialed in with Ca/Alk. It just takes a good bit of daily testing to figure out how much your tank is consuming and how much you need to add daily to keep up with it. At first I thought it was a HUGE pain but once dialed in and figured out, things get a lot happier as a result.

Hope all that makes sense and I hope your colors come back. I think that is the most challenging part of keeping SPS...they are so finicky that they're colors can come and go pretty fast.

Let me know if I can help in some way. You'll get it figured out. I just wouldn't do anything drastic like changing a lot of things all at one time. Up your Alk/Ca dosage and see how things rebound.

-Adam

Sorry I missed this post Dave...I was actually coming here to ask you how your colors have been doing.

Here is what I think is causing your colors to be pale as well as a little STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis) -

• You're dosing too much Vodka and MB7 and the corals are starving a bit as a result. The water is just a little too clean. As you know, I started experiencing this last week, cut my MB7 and Vodka in 1/2 and now the colors are coming back with a vengeance.
  • You said that you haven't gotten an Alk/Ca daily dosing schedule. You mentioned that your Alk was really low (6.5-7) so I would definitely try and address that first and foremost. Getting that in check and stable is probably more important than the Vodka/MB7 dosing amounts. I know I'm preaching to the choir though :)
  • You have one big, bad a$$ skimmer on a pretty small tank. That, combined with the Vodka/MB7 is starving your corals even more, hence the pale colors.

If I were you, I would jump on the Alk situation first as the colors are more dependent on lighting, PO4, and Nitrates (which you can address later with feeding, etc). I still struggle at times keeping things consistently dialed in with Ca/Alk. It just takes a good bit of daily testing to figure out how much your tank is consuming and how much you need to add daily to keep up with it. At first I thought it was a HUGE pain but once dialed in and figured out, things get a lot happier as a result.

Hope all that makes sense and I hope your colors come back. I think that is the most challenging part of keeping SPS...they are so finicky that they're colors can come and go pretty fast.

Let me know if I can help in some way. You'll get it figured out. I just wouldn't do anything drastic like changing a lot of things all at one time. Up your Alk/Ca dosage and see how things rebound.

-Adam

+1 to this. Cut the Vodka and MB7 back a bit, feed a bit more heavily (with that skimmer you can feed A LOT!), and get your ALK back up to 8-9 dKh. Turn your skimmer off when you feed your corals too.

Thanks guys. Well I just did a little cleaning and stopped by a local guys house. He had a huge frag tank set up.

I got a steal of a couple corals...

Green Slimer

Pink Digi

Green base/orange polyps digi

Kinda UFO looking Micros

Kinda looking King Midas Zoas

I know I know, Digi's Dave? Well I like them :)

Looks like things are going back to normal and I have been dosing a bit with the C-Balance for now. I hope to get my ALK back to 7.5-8 ( thats where things looked best ). I have also not been dosing the vodka/MB7 here, I think I am going to wait two-three weeks until I go back to it.

I should be getting all the chalices next week and then my tank is on auto drive for a bit. I'll be working on the stand here and there. Stay tuned tonight for pictures! I'll post a pre set up of my stand too.

Thanks for all the help! Hopefully things will be back to normal in no time. Oh and the RKL is awesome! I am getting a consistent 77.5 degrees and BARELY moves.

-Dave

( look for pictures in the next couple of hours )

No questioning Digis from me man...I wish that I would have never gotten rid of the Orange Digi that I had. I think you could make one heck of a tank with just Digis and Montis.

Nice new additions....looking forward to seeing what the UFO looking Micros look like. Those were always one of my favorites when micros were really hot. I know you said you had quite the little collection going back then :)

Glad you're liking the RKL...not sure I could live without mine now. Well, of course I could, but man does it just make things a lot easier. If I can ever scrape the money together and get some dosing pumps, things will be pretty well set. Well that and I just need to get off my lazy butt and hook my ATO back up.

BTW, my brother got the grip and barrel all set and ready to go....needless to say he's more than a little happy on how it looks and shoots ;)

Adam - Great I am glad your brother is liking it!

Once I get some dosing pumps I will be set too. Not having to worry about topping off is AMAZING. I've never had one until now and I cant believe how much better life is. It seems as if my skimmer has gone into BEAST mode and pulling the most gnarly stuff I've seen. I know people talk about BK's and ATB but I am not sure how much better a skimmer can preform.

With the new frags I kinda sit back and look at my tank and cant be any happier. The colors are just out there. People have been coming over and just jaw drop. Hopefully I can keep it up!

Hopefully I can score this eel and maybe if they come back in stock the red dot cardinals. I miss my 10 :(.

Errr.... the Slimer had Red bugs! I saw them about an hour into the tank and pulled the piece out. I think I killed it though. So I tossed it :(

I want that damn slimer!

You dont think that they could have spread that fat do you?

Man that sucks....I don't think they would have enough time to spread but you may want to keep a close eye on things to make sure. Make sure to drop kick that guy the next time you see him ;)

Hopefully I can score this eel and maybe if they come back in stock the red dot cardinals. I miss my 10 :(.

I want more as well. :mellow:

Sounds/looks like your vodka dosing fine but you need to feed more. :D

and stabalize that alk! daily dosings, or twice daily if needed. It'll eliminate any patchy necrosis. I always always always get that problem when I get lazy with the alk.

Well I have my ALK up to 8 ish now. But my CAL is down to 330. Ugh!

After seeing my buddies tank I think my next move will be two MP10's.

Maybe its time to sell a few frags of Setosa :)

Oh and my chalice frags should be here next week! WAHOO!

What I am thinking for the new stand....

DSC05244.JPG

I would use PVC Board for the white panels and sides and buy a nice piece of wood for the tip and front middle.

What do you guys think?

-Dave

Yep Iwan ( the man ).

I think I will be able to pull this off easy.

Other than that the tank is looking great again, I just need to get the calcium back in line. I'm using way more than what I thought! I'm up to 25mL of calcium and 13mL ALK.

-Dave

Glad to hear that the tank is getting back to it's old self. That does seem like a good bit of both but each tank is so much different with Ca/Alk consumption. I'm hanging right at 8ml of Alk/Ca for the time being. Seems like I have to bump it up about 1mL every couple of weeks as things grow out.

Well no go on the eel. But I should be getting a few longspine cardinals and a few smaller gobies.

Hopefully I will have some new pictures this week!

-Dave

Why was the eel a no go? Just too expensive to import in and then ship to you? I can only imagine they are pretty hard to get your hands on that and I'm sure they are a little spendy.

The cardinals and other smaller gobies should go well with the inhabitants you currently have. Looking forward to some new pics.

-Adam

Yea just a little bit extra than what I want to pay right now. Maeda is on the search for me though :)

Well I just like looking around and keeping up with the new stuff. I swear I would love to study Japan marine keeping. I've traveled around and have gotten to see some great tanks out there but never Japan.

After checking this one I swear I could do it! :D

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/k03254457

I would love to build a few LED spotlights for a chalice section and a couple of my favorite SPS. Who knows maybe I should just start saving and go over there ;)

-Dave

Archived