ReefCleaners.org

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

Well I was able to take a break and snap a few pictures. The chalices are growing, hopefully in a month or so they will start to take off. My WM now has a great green rim and a good amount of eyes. Everything else has been doing great even with the red bugs. I just need to get off my butt and dose the interceptor. I have an aptasia problem and I plan on going to walmart and buying pickling lime and nuke those SOB's. Other than that the tank has been doing great!

I have been dosing 1mL every Sunday with vodka and I have not seen any ill effects. I am still dosing the MB7 and Lugols too. I have been feeding twice a day and things look extra happy. I figure the skimmer is pulling out all the extra doo-doo. I really want to try the Reef Nutrition stuff out. I have been using the Arctic Pods for a while now and my only complaint is that they are SUPER oily and my skimmer loses its head for two+ hours. I would love to try the oyster stuff and fuzzy things too.

Dendro with Bumble Bee Shrimp

IMG_3898-vi.jpg

Mummy Eye - Rim is starting to grow!

IMG_3940-vi.jpg

Chalice Garden

IMG_3939-vi.jpg

LPS Garden - The War Coral is getting wild

IMG_3931-vi.jpg

Setosa - Its hard to tell but the branches are getting VERY think and has been growing like a weed

IMG_3932-vi.jpg

FTS

IMG_3920-vi.jpg

Hope you like.

-Dave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is that the BRS ROX carbon is AWESOME. It really does make a huge difference in water quality. I only have to use 6-8 tablespoons and I'm good to go.

With it being so cold I think I may have to buy a larger heater, my tank has been staying right around 76-77.

-Dave

Hey Dave. Just getting a chance to catch up on threads around here after being out of town. The tank really looks fantastic and it looks like you've been getting some really good growth on things.

Are you still dosing MB7 on a daily basis? If so, how many drops? I've stopped dosing Vodka but still add 1-2 drops of the MB7 daily. Still have some diatoms on my sand bed but I think it's more than likely because I only have about 3 snails left in my tank :)

-Adam

Thanks Adam. The growth has been great lately, I think from feeding a TON and good parameters things have been just getting settled in. I really keep my hands out of the tank to which I think has helped a ton.

I still use 4-5 drops of MB7 and 1mL of vodka every Sunday. Like I said to I think I am going to try some Reef Nutrition stuff out and see how it goes.

Get more snails ;)

-Dave

The hunt is on!

My bumble bee shrimp loves to hunt this guy down. He will post up on the rock behind, drop off spiderman style and then go in for the kill. I think he only eats a few pieces and then books it. Yesterday he went in big and I was able to snap some pictures for once. By far some of my favorite photos :D

IMG_3945-vi.jpg

IMG_3949-vi.jpg

IMG_3952-vi.jpg

IMG_3953-vi.jpg

IMG_3956-vi.jpg

IMG_3957-vi.jpg

-Dave

I was just getting ready to come back on here and comment on your Dendro pic with the Bumble Bee hanging out on it. Such a cool invert.

Will it eventually completely consume the starfish or does it just nibble here and there?

Last night I also played with the short pulse on the Vortech. I got a wave going. I may try and leave it for a day or two and see how things look.

-Dave

workn2hard2day

Great looking tank. I have started to follow along because I am interested in the ATI Sunpower. Are you still happy with it? I appreciate the review you wrote.

btw you might want to try a peppermint shrimp for the aptasia, it cleaned up my entire tank within a few weeks (mine apt. were not very big, but they were an eyesore when viewing).

Thanks work. I still LOVE the sunpower. Its cheaper and just as good as the PM. I plan on a small upgrade and will still use these along with the spotlights from nanocustoms.

Funny thing is I am going to the store today for some water and was thinking about buying a couple.

-Dave

Last night I also played with the short pulse on the Vortech. I got a wave going. I may try and leave it for a day or two and see how things look.

Let me know how all of your coral react to the wave Dave. I've created a wave a couple of times in the past and really like the way that the Euphyllia I have in there sway back and forth. All of the SPS really seemed to like the short pulses as well. It's just hard in my tank as my ATO sensor is in the right rear corner so a standing wave isn't all that great for the sensor :)

I will. Hopefully by this weekend. I have been SLAMMED at work.... had a 13 hour day yesterday and the day is already going to be a long one today.

I need to do some stuff to the tank but I have only had time to throw the MB7 CAL and ALK in and then run....

-Dave

Ordered new bulbs and they should be here today

Blue +

Aquablue Special

Fiji Purple

Blue +

Im not sure if this has been over due but my Red Planet hasnt been looking as good and a few others too. Hope this helps!

Picture for the day. See my Red planet has been receding but still has some tissue. It still growing but doesnt have the intense pink like it did. What do you guys think? Anyways I think this picture turned out great!

IMG_3978-vi.jpg

Wait...did you say that you don't or do think it's looking good? In the pic above, the coloration looks AMAZING!!! I like it more than the Red Planet coloration and it looks a lot like the one that I have in my tank.

Is the tissue receding from the base or the tips?

Looking forward to hearing how you like the little addition of red/purple to your bulb combo. Personally, I think you'll love it.

Its looked even better than that Adam :) Pinker polyps and coralites. But you can see on the base where it has been receding some. NO clue what it is..... Other parts are growing and basing.

If I have enough time I need to do a H2O change tonight and if I can do that the tank is getting a mega clean. New lights, clean the Vortech, clean the pumps, skimmer and sump. Vac the sand.

I also found a local dealer here with a great store. Never knew it was in town and he sells Reef Nutrition. I plan on picking up the Oyster Feast and Rofiters.

Also I will throw in the intercepter to kill those damn RB's!

-Dave

I believe it Dave. The Red Planet that I have, which I think is a pseudo Red Planet, quickly changes color based on tank conditions. Mine has a very similar coloration to yours, green skin and lighter pink corallites.

It may be the pictures, but it looks like some of your coralline is turning white or at least doesn't look like a deep purple. I can usually tell by the color and amount of coralline whether my Alk/Ca/Mg are in line. Maybe your Ca is a little down and the RP is receding a bit as a result. If it's the only piece receding and all others look fine, maybe it's just having a bad week ;)

Nothing like a good ol' fashioned tank scrubbing....I'm about due for a good solid skimmer, pump, and sand bed cleaning myself. Still have yet to pick up a gravel vac like I've been meaning to. I want my sand nice and sparkly white like yours :D

Well just got finished putting in the new bulbs.... AND HOLY CRAP! The Purple Fiji is out of this world. It makes everything just POP. My chalices and LPS have never looked better, the Setosa and Superman look super natural. The configuration looks just like my old 14k Phoenix. So if anyone is looking for that with a four bulb fixture...

Blue +

AquaBlue special

Fiji Purple

Blue +

I am going to get a good cleaning and then post pictures. I promise, you guys will like!

-Dave

P.S - Sorry no pictures tonight, I've worked 10-15 hour days moving our warehouse and I just needed o enjoy a brew, the lady and my tank. :D

You were right. Its by far one of the best bulbs I have used to make the stuff pop. Blows the 25/75 out of the water. I almost turned my lights on this morning just to look at it again.

-Dave

Well I officially hate Time Warner. They suck I had no internet for a few days :(

Anyways I was able to snap some pictures that turned out well. I have been reading about the Bio-Pellets that sound promising. Aquarium Specialty will be carrying them and they are just down in SC.

Like I have said before, my tank looks AMAZING with the new bulbs. I am still battling the aptasia and some bubble algae but nothing I am worried about. Just working on it small amounts has helped a ton. I really want to add some smaller fish the next few months but things have been tight. I sold my Dendro only because I like to keep my hands out of this tank and not enough time to feed it.

Now for the pictures...

Cool picture of new bulb

IMG_4051-vi.jpg

Great picture of the clam

IMG_4046-vi.jpg

Blue/Green Acro - One of my favorite's

IMG_4045-vi.jpg

Purple Bonsai and Superman

IMG_4044-vi.jpg

New eye on the BGM :D

IMG_4036-vi.jpg

Red Planet, Hawkins, Setosa ( This thing has been growing CRAZY )

IMG_4031-vi.jpg

LPS and Slimer

IMG_4028-vi.jpg

FTS 11/1

IMG_4038-vi.jpg

Hope you like!

-Dave

Good ol' Time Warner. You can toss them right in there with Comcast as some of my favorite companies to deal with. I always love the message when you call of "there is currently a service outage in your area, we will take our sweet time while we continue to charge you for our service." :)

Tank looks fantastic...I can really tell how the Fiji Purple is pulling out a lot more purple (in the Undata and Red Planet) and the Red (war coral, acans, watermelon). It's definitely one of my favorite bulbs and I think all good setups need at least one.

Glad to see the growth on the Chalices. How often have you been feeding them?

-Adam

Archived