SaltCritters.com

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

I'm right there with you Dave. My dad works for a Japanese company and has had the opportunity to travel over there twice now and stay for a little over a week each time, traveling to various parts of the country. It is by far one of the most intriguing cultures, at least to me.

The spotlight tanks are really cool and unique...I envision like most technological things, it will start in Asia first and slowly work it's way over to the States. I know that you can already buy the spotlights but they are $$$. Very unique how you can light various types of coral with different temperature bulbs/leds.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather do a DIY LED pendant and see how it works out, or two. ;)

I know I can build it all,. just need some help with the LED's and there are PLENTY of people on here that could help.

-Dave

Randomly my duncon just fell off the frag plug right before I had to leave for a kickball game. Then after celebrating our win with one two many beers I figured it would be safer to leave it on the sandbed for the day rather than go frag hunting while impaired :P

I should be getting some glass eyed cardinals tonight but the smaller gobies did not ship...

And Maeda may have found me a dwarf golden eel :D Keeping my fingers crossed.

-Dave

Then after celebrating our win with one two many beers I figured it would be safer to leave it on the sandbed for the day rather than go frag hunting while impaired :P

I know exactly what you mean about this. When copious quantities of beer are consumed, I avoid my tank like the plague. I go into "look, don't touch mode" and only mess with something if it's in danger of dying :) Drinking and messing with the tank is never a good idea.

I should be getting some glass eyed cardinals tonight but the smaller gobies did not ship...

And Maeda may have found me a dwarf golden eel :D Keeping my fingers crossed.

How many cardinals are you planning on getting?

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the eel....would be awesome to see it in your tank.

Well I had to leave town last week for a paintball expo in Atlanta. My girlfriend watched my tank and did a great job ( thank god! ).

New corals tm :D

I also have been having problems getting these small gobies. I am considering get a pair of Helfichi's and maybe another wrasse. Once the frags grow out I will add the smaller guys to give them cover.

Keep posted should be a good one!

-Dave

Thanks blue!

Well I picked up a PomPom crab for under 10$. One of the LFS is going out of business ( which is bad ) but I was able to score some stuff for cheap!

I swear I'll have pictures today!

-Dave

Well after having a very productive day....( enter sarcasm here ) I have pictures! Well a couple days ago my Flasher wrasse felt like taking a dive and about five minutes out of the water I grab it, pealed the hair and crap off and tossed him back in. Needless to say he a little timid but should not be jumping again.

The RKL has been working great and has made my life so much easier. I am only running my lights for 7 hours and have been dosing the following...

4 drops of MB7

1 drop of Lugols once a week

26mL Calcium

13mL Alk

no more vodka ( it just STARVED my corals )

I picked up a Pom Pom crab but he to is a little timid right now but looks great. I am still searching for some more trimmas and smaller dart gobies. I've even tossed around the idea of a Helfichi or two :D

Still have not made to much head way with the new stand but I hope to start it soon. I will FINALLY be getting my frag pack this Tuesday. Bubble Gum Monster, Mummy Eye, Emerald Mummy Eye, Dendro and Icefire! WHOOP!

My girlfriend has been taking more interest in my tank and snapped a photo when I was working...

IMG_3816-vi.jpg YIKES!

New Stand, New Sump and 15g barrel

IMG_3835-vi.jpg

New wrasse ( I cant get a good picture :( )

IMG_3829-vi.jpg

Babys Breath is growing FAST, WM has 7 eyes, Lords have around 20+ polyps and the Slimer

IMG_3846-vi.jpg

So so photo of the WM

IMG_3863-vi.jpg

Nice side photo

IMG_3854-vi.jpg

FTS

IMG_3860-vi.jpg

Hope you like!

-Dave

Lookin' really good Dave.

That's crazy good luck with the wrasse....glad that you found him shortly after he decided to jump ship. I never had any problems with my 6-line but I really didn't have him much longer than a couple of months. Seems like the flashers and other wrasses are a little more prone to deciding the floor is more comfy.

Is that a worm that your girlfriend took a picture of?? Looks like you have a small boa in the tank :)

I am considering doing the same with the Vodka dosing. I'm sitting right at .3mL of the Vodka per day and 4 drops of MB7. Color has been great but I might try and drop the Vodka back just to see if there are any changes. If I don't notice any ill effects of dropping back the Vodka, I might just quit all together. It would just make life that much easier. My wife still gives me the WTF face when I tell her it's for the tank. I think she must think I'm sneaking drinks or something in the morning.

Looking forward to see what all the new additions will look like.

-Adam

My wife still gives me the WTF face when I tell her it's for the tank. I think she must think I'm sneaking drinks or something in the morning.

...and that's why I only dose the MB7 by itself too. ;)

Thanks guys! Its been looking better and better. After the next group of corals come in I think that will be it until next year.

Yes thats one of the larger worms in the tank.... yikes!

-Dave

Thanks guys! Its been looking better and better. After the next group of corals come in I think that will be it until next year.

Right there with ya man. We gotta get a trade going at some point to finish off the year.

Kudos to your GF for spotting it and snapping a pic....my wife might have just called and asked when I added the earthworms to the tank ;)

And I'm jealous of your tank real estate.

You should know about real estate Randy :P

Love the open feel to the tank.

Thanks Uhuru.

Well I have cut of the vodka completely. I was finding that it was taking way to much out of my tank and making my corals look pale. Just not a fan of that! I am still having troubles getting my CAL up to 420-430. Still keeping steady at 400 and I will up my dosing to 30mL.

I have been tossing around the idea of adding a small section in the back with mangroves. I could make a little box out of acrylic and add 3-5" sand bed in it so the roots can grow. I think it would be a great way to have the nutrients exported. Who knows :)

Big day tm!

-Dave

I like the mangrove idea Dave. You'll have to check out Dhuat and David's (DCG) threads as I think they have tried or currently have mangroves growing.

Do you get all the Chalice in tomorrow?

Archived