Cultivated Reef

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

Nice pickup on the chiller. Like I was saying on my now deleted pages, I had a little El Nino going on in my tank for a while there....going from 78.5 - 80.6 all in one day. With my fan and the RKL, temps are staying between 79.5 - 80.0 and the corals are much happier. SPS just seem to love stability all the way around.

SPS - Stability Promotes Success :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I thought my bumble bee shrimp was a goner, well he just decides to hang out today for the first time in a month! I think I am going to pick up 4-5 more. Just so cool! Anyways here are some pictures and if everything goes according to plan I should have two MP10's next week!

IMG_3600-vi.jpg

black markings coming in...

IMG_3607-vi.jpg

shrimp

IMG_3613-vi.jpg

IMG_3636-vi.jpg

-Dave

What cool critters those bumble shrimp look to be. Before you mentioned those, I had honestly never heard of them before. I'm with you, I'd love to get either a porcelain, pom pom, or some sexy shrimp for my tank.

How do these little guys handle the flow in our tanks? I am always concerned that they will get tossed around and might end up just hanging in one place. Then again, the currents in the ocean move A LOT more water than in our tanks.

Nice captures on the clowns...looks like they are starting to mature nicely. I still can't believe that I've had my pair for a little over 3 years now...time flies for sure.

How are things going with dosing? Looks like you have a spot or two of cyano or diatoms....do you think this is due to the skimmer not working effectively til you cleaned it or from the MB7/Vodka dosing? Are you going to start dosing Aminos as well? Sorry for all of the questions....just contemplating starting this as well but I'm just scared to tinker with a good thing I have going in my tank right now.

Hey Dave. Tyree Watermelon has lots of growing space. I'll trade you an eye for an eye any day you're ready. Are you feeding it mysis? The miami hurr I have can eat up to one shrimp per eye per day! Setosa looks BIG btw. Great job on that. ATL Pink cap looks interesting. Got any close-ups of it?

Adam - I think with my skimmer not working correctly that I was getting excess nutrients in the tank that caused the crap algae. Its starting to go away now :)

Purple Up - It sure does. Once it does I would love to trade an eye for an eye. Maybe just keep one ready for me! The Setosa is getting large and one of the branches hit another side of a rock. Cant wait to see how it grows! The ATL pink polyp cap is a nice light/neon green with BRIGHT pink polyps. I have one that looks the same but is a touch darker green. The darker one grow insanely fast. I am trying to borrow some ones nice camera to take some nice pictures.

So far I am just dosing the bacteria to get my tank seeded. I am also dosing Lugols every other day. I was out of town Fri-Sun and just got back and EVERYTHING looks awesome. Polyps are way out so I guess something is working. I will start dosing vodka this friday.

-Dave

Sounds like everything with the dosing is going as planned. Looking forward to seeing what sort of results you get in the end.

Tanks lookin good dave wat is the behavior of the bumble bee shrimp, do u like them, and how much r they?

im thinkin on gettin some for my new 1 gallon PIC!!!!!!! :)

weeber - They are only 6-7$. I have a thing for small inverts. Not sure why but I just do. He hides a lot but when you see him its a surprise every time. I may try and grab 4-5 more.

-D

weeber - They are only 6-7$. I have a thing for small inverts. Not sure why but I just do. He hides a lot but when you see him its a surprise every time. I may try and grab 4-5 more.

-D

thanks

Some growth shots...

March 25th Setosa

IMG_0222-vi.jpg

March 25th Purple Bonsai , Lime in the Sky, ATL Pink Cap

IMG_0221-vi.jpg

FTS March 26th

IMG_0225-vi.jpg

April 10th

Setosa

IMG_1272-vi.jpg

Baby Clown

IMG_1257-vi.jpg

April 28th

IMG_3334-vi.jpg

FTS

IMG_3337-vi.jpg

May 11th

Babys Breath

IMG_3343-vi.jpg

IMG_3352-vi.jpg

War Coral

IMG_3390-vi.jpg

June 23rd

Setosa

DSC02944-vi.jpg

Babys Breath

DSC02946-vi.jpg

FTS

DSC02959-vi.jpg

July 15th

Babys Breath

DSC03127-vi.jpg

Setosa

IMG_3588-vi.jpg

FTS

DSC03121-vi.jpg

July 18th

Clown ( black markings coming in ) Grade B

IMG_3607-vi.jpg

IMG_3636-vi.jpg

-Dave

Looking good buddy. When did you pick up the Undata? Is that from your order with Pookstreet a while back? I'm supposed to be getting a little piece here over the next month as it's long been one of my favorite Montis.

The Undata has been in there for 2 months. I got this from a local guy too. Its an AWESOME piece and has been growing really quick. I'll throw some pictures of when I first got it and now. HUGE difference.

I just have in in the center on the sandbed and just let it go.

I'm looking for a fast growing stag that I can put somewhere behind the rockwork and let it grow all gnarly. Anyone!?!? :)

I am thinking of adding another Yasha and a few more red dot cardinals. Maybe even a buddy for my clown....

-Dave

I think that's what I'm going to do with the Undata that I'm picking up as well. I need to start adding some more color to the sand bed and lower parts of my tank. All the color is right up top only for the time being.

I have this Stag that I could frag for you if you want. It has been growing really fast lately after taking a while to get a good base going.

p82555071-3.jpg

Well I had to do some aptasia slaying and took a few good top down pictures. I think a few of them turned out really well.

I was drooling today looking at RC and the new Alpha Cone 170. I think if I could afford one I would get it, Red Dragon Pump, cone design and small. :)

After seeing my buddies ReefKeeper Lite, I may have to pick one up fast!

IMG_3662-vi.jpg

IMG_3665-vi.jpg

IMG_3666-vi.jpg

IMG_3669-vi.jpg

-D

Lookin' good....looking REAL good!!!

Tank sure if coming together for you man. Looks like that MB7 dosing has resulted in some of your corals having a more vivid color to them. So when do you start the Vodka?

If you want, just go ahead and break me off a piece of that ATL Pink Cap and send it with the pball gear ;) Just kidding....looking great for sure.

Oh yeah, like I was telling you before, I got a chance to see some Bubble Kings and other top top end skimmers when i went to Aquarium Specialty's warehouse. You wanna talk about some high dollar (some +$5000), high quality equipment. Never thought a piece of reef equipment could be sexy but I'm telling you, the quality and finish is amazing. I just can't see myself justifying spending as much on a skimmer as I did for 2 of my first cars :) The cone skimmers seem to be where it's all at lately...I'm happy with my clunky Remora :lol:

Adam - I can frag it off in a bit, its been in steroid mode and taking off so I will let it do its things for a bit. I think my hawkins is about to also! If you want you can be the first to some of my frags. Which ones would you like and I'll give you a super deal :D

About the BK's and all, there amazing. When I picked up the undata and stuff a few months ago the guy was breaking his TOTM from RC down. He had a BK 300 external. He has it for sale for 1400 now, I could only wish.... I am thinking at my next paintball event I will save the money I earn and MAYBE buy something really cool ;)

-Dave

Sounds great to me Dave. I'll shoot you a PM over the next few and let you know what I have my eye on.

Oh yeah, how did you like the look and feel of the RKL? Pretty cool unit isn't it?

I love looking at your tank Dave, I think you hit everything on the money with this one. Dimensions, lighting, rockscape, it's all good. :)

Have you started drinking, I mean dosing the Vodka yet? So far so good with the MB7 in my tank. Starting to see a good bit of difference in just 3 days.

What have you been noticing?

I have noticed that the water clarity has increased a good bit and I have less surface film/scum. I have pretty good surface agitation with the return on the Remora and the MP20 but I've always had some film on the surface. It has been less over the last couple of days and I haven't changed anything other than adding the MB7.

Other changes are just that the polyp extension was really fantastic on everything yesterday afternoon when I was looking at the tank. Even my wife said "Adam, the tank is looking really good. Have you done anything different." :)

We'll see how things progress over the next week and a half as it seems like people notice the biggest differences in the first couple of weeks.

Have you noticed anything positive? I know you said the colors and PE have just been fantastic but didn't know if you noticed anything dealing with water clarity or a reduction in algae.

I am at the point where Sunny said I would have brown algae on the glass. Its really nothing and I believe it is now seeded. Water clarity has been AWESOME.

I'll throw some pictures up at the end of the week.

Did you decide on the BRS dosers?

Haven't decided on the BRS dosers. Well, I have but I just don't have the funds right now to get them. It looks and sounds like they are really solid units and for 1/2 the price of the Litermeter III and similar setups. I need to see if there is still a group buy going since then I could get an extra 10-15% off which would be even cheaper.

Have you started dosing 2-part? How's the Superman doing?

Archived