Top Shelf Aquatics

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

That's awesome that you've been getting so much growth...always nice to see that what you're doing is paying off. This hobby can be really frustrating but really rewarding as well.

Where did you say you had your Setosa again.....medium light and random medium flow? I'm contemplating moving my Setosa and Pearlberry up into the rock. I always worry about bleaching so it's a tough decision.

Keep up the good work man...it definitely shows.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DaveFason

Update!

Well I bought a clam and a small fish! Blk/Blue Maxima I think that is around 3-4". I also bought a green banded goby. This guy is only 1/2" and awesome! Its exactly what I want, small and cute. Hopefully the other guys I want ( Evota and Trimmas ) will be in nex week sometime.

Other than that things are going well. I should be posting some new pictures this week!

-Dave

Blog looks great Dave....nice start. I'll have to add it to my RSS feeds and check it out when you update.

Just make sure not to skimp us on here and add the pics here as well :)

Getting ready to send you a PM....

Here are some updates.

I scored some great pic-ups from Kip from RC ( hes local ). Tyree Undata, Red/orange acans and Babys Breath Favia. Really good prices

I hope to get a new camera soon because ALL of my pictures are washed out or suck! The true colors are AMAZING now.

IMG_3341-vi.jpg

IMG_3343-vi.jpg

IMG_3349-vi.jpg

IMG_3350-vi.jpg

IMG_3356-vi.jpg

Also this past weekend I helped move a friend of mine who has an awesome 70g. Everything went well I I now have a frag of War Coral and 24K Acro too!

-Dave

The new additions look great Dave. Those Lords look really sweet and from what I can see of the Baby's Breath, they look like they really shimmer. I could only find one small peek at the Undata that you got and it looks like it's a really nice sized piece.

I wouldn't worry about your shots...they look really good. It's always hard to get the white balance, focus, and color just right unless you are shooting with RAW files which you can tweak in Photoshop.

Which type of goby is that in the last picture? Trimma?

You'll have to snag some pictures of the War Coral and 24k Acro....two great pieces.

Looking great Dave. Looks like that rock on the left could use a couple frags...maybe a nice Zoa/Paly garden?

Tubs!

Well I have some Eagle Eyes over there but you cant see them. I also placed my War Coral on the front of the left rock. Nothing like receiving a free piece of 24k and WC!

I got a STEAL on the 6055 and plugged it up last night. Its so cool having an adjustable pump. I really wanted to try a Vortech but I know these Tunzes work. I will be saving for a 7096 controller too.

I added the Trimma last night along with one Bumble Bee Shrimp. I cant find the shrimp this morning but he is only 1/4". For being 6'7" I love smaller fish and inverts...

I will be moving in with my girlfriend next month so I am planning on a new stand and maybe a new sump. If I did all of that moving would be a breeze. My new skimmer is the BEST investment, I can feed this tank as much as I want and nothing sits for waste. I really think having heavy flow and a awesome skimmer can make any tank look half way decent.

I'll try and throw some pictures up!

-D

Tubs!

Well I have some Eagle Eyes over there but you cant see them. I also placed my War Coral on the front of the left rock. Nothing like receiving a free piece of 24k and WC!

I got a STEAL on the 6055 and plugged it up last night. Its so cool having an adjustable pump. I really wanted to try a Vortech but I know these Tunzes work. I will be saving for a 7096 controller too.

I added the Trimma last night along with one Bumble Bee Shrimp. I cant find the shrimp this morning but he is only 1/4". For being 6'7" I love smaller fish and inverts...

I will be moving in with my girlfriend next month so I am planning on a new stand and maybe a new sump. If I did all of that moving would be a breeze. My new skimmer is the BEST investment, I can feed this tank as much as I want and nothing sits for waste. I really think having heavy flow and a awesome skimmer can make any tank look half way decent.

I'll try and throw some pictures up!

-D

Tubs is right....I am going to wait another week and then frag off a polyp or two for you. Are you interested in any RPEs or Armor of God frags? Just let me know since I know I'm going to make a frag or two of each of those as well. Should have a nice little pack for you sooner than later.

That's awesome about the additional Tunze you added....that tank has got to be rockin now. If I hadn't gone with the MP20, I would have went with the adjustable Tunzes like you have. The 6025s that you have of mine always put out plenty of great disperse flow, just sucked that you couldn't control them.

I have to agree with you on the skimmer....although I only have a Remora HOB skimmer, I like the flexibility of feeding as much as I want (well not really but close) and keeping the water sparkling clear. I thought I could go skimmerless on my tank but I know now that I couldn't....the corals look so much better after I added it.

Moving eh? I am actually going to be moving at the end of July and I'm dreading it like none other. What is nice is that this will be my second tank move so I know what to expect and plan for this time. I always get more stressed out than it's actually needed...usually go smoother than you think.

I look forward to the pics.

-Adam

Well the tank has been set up for around 2-1/2 months and I cant be happier with it. I figured I would give a run down of what I currently have and will be using for a the new few months.

DIY Acrylic Tank 3/8" 30x18x15

DIY Sump 25x13x16 3 Chamber

H&S 110-A2000 External

Eheim 1048

Eheim 1250

Tunze 6055

Tunze 6025

50w Heater

Sunpower 24" 4bulb

Here are a few growth shots...

Birdsnest 4-10

IMG_1253-vi.jpg

Birdsnest 5-10

IMG_3317-vi.jpg

IMG_3411-vi.jpg

Right rock

4-10

IMG_1272-vi.jpg

5-1 ( there has been crazy growth from the first of this month to today )

IMG_3352-vi.jpg

War Coral

IMG_3390-vi.jpg

Trimma

IMG_3405-vi.jpg

I'll snap a few today too.

-Dave

Tank is looking really great Dave. Looks like you've been getting some really great growth.

Keep up the good work bud.

• 2 weeks later...

Well money has been a little tight lately. I am moving my tank this weekend but nothing to worry about that, I've moved a ton of tanks.

I bought this tiny Blenny last night. I'll have to get the exact name but hes the man! BRIGHT yellow with blue/neon orange eyes. Only around 1".

So my stock list as of now....

Grade B Picasso

Green Banded Goby

Red Stripper Trimma

Some tiny Blenny

Pistol Shrimp

Bumble Bee Shrimp

I'll grab some new pictures tonight!

-Dave

Even though times are tight I will be purchasing a ReefKeeper Lite. They will be on sale this Friday for 99$!

Well here are some updated shots...

I am really trying to get a friend over to snap some pictures with a nice macro lens.

Well the new fish is a Sailfin Golden Blennie. By far one of my favorites too! Really has some amazing eyes, neon orange with blue dots.

I am looking at getting a Reefkeeper Lite being that there only 99$ all summer. Also going to try and find another 6055. I should be getting my multicontroller here in the next few weeks.

Left rock

IMG_3468.jpg

Right rock - my PM and green birds nest have RTN but have now stopped. I'm just letting things go.

IMG_3471.jpg

Green/Pink Cap started as a 1" frag

IMG_3479.jpg

Babys Breath with new mouths!

IMG_3486.jpg

Clam and RP

IMG_3490.jpg

My new guy

IMG_3501.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg

FTS

IMG_3497.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Dave

Tank is looking really really great Dave. Sucks about the RTN on the PM and the Birdsnest...did you find out what the cause of it was? Are you starting to dose for Ca and Alk now?

Looks like things are starting to take off for you. I am really digging your new fish....once I move my tank in July, I am going to be looking for a final fish to round out my tank. Maybe you'll have to give me some suggestions since you have a great selection so far.

Like you, I have my eye on the RKLite....just seems like too good of a deal to pass up on. Will be great to get something like that and finally get rid of this stinking timer strip and cheap Wally World timers. :)

• 3 weeks later...

You won't regret getting the MP20.

I replaced 4 powerheads with one of these, and my flow increased dramatically. I also really like that you can place corals directly in the path of flow since the flow is so broad and gentle.

I have used tunze, seio, modded maxi-jets, and others, but I have never seen another pump that so gently moves the entire column of water in my tank.

I suggest reef crest random mode (yellow) btw. It seems to get the best results, ime.

I suggest reef crest random mode (yellow) btw. It seems to get the best results, ime.

+1. Reef Crest (yellow) and Lagoon (purple) are my favorites. I usually run it in Reef for a couple of weeks and switch to Lagoon for a week.

Can't wait to hear how you like it Dave.

Archived