Cultivated Reef

2.5g Petsmart pico build

firstchevalier

ac20 impeller fits in a ac50.

edit: so, purchase a ac20, then return it w/ the ac50 impeller in it

that's so wrong you need to keep both impellers duh :P

firstchevalier

This is an experimental post (but also a legitimate question)...

On the topic of lighting this 2.5g tank, I'm toying with the idea of using LED's but I know nothing about them. How do you evaluate LED's to kelvin rating and watts per gallon etc? Thanks.

Evil is more suited to answer this question and im sure he will soon( i just dont know how he finds led questions so fast ;) ) but a 50/50 mix of cool whites and royal blues seems to give you about a 14k color and you can adjust to your prefrence from there. watts per gallon is really not a good way to evaluate lighting espically for leds. for my 2.5g i am planning on 3 cool whites and 3 royal blues, but i am no expert.

You can't really rate LEDs in watts per gallon... actually you shouldn't rate any lights like that, it's antiquated. It's better to think of it in terms of PAR value. LEDs have much more PAR per watt than any other light source, but the LEDs themselves have a wide spread... fine for very shallow areas. Optics (lenses) are used to focus the light in a tighter beam for deeper tanks or placing the lights further away. As was said earlier, evil is the person to talk to on LEDs, he is the master! :bowdown:

Also, if you plan on selling these setups at all commercially (in a store), you can't use LEDs... PFO is in court right now because some company that doesn't even build aquarium LED setups owns the patent rights on ANY high powered LED product for aquariums. Moonlights apparently don't fall under this, but the Solaris lighting systems (awesome pieces of engineering that they are...) did. So be very careful in this regard... on the other hand, selling them out of your home may set you apart ;)

IF you aren't planning on trying SPS, you can probably get away with a lot less light... or you could do what I'm doing and use spotlight style lighting to light the things that need it more than the things that don't. Just a thought. Can't wait for pics!

firstchevalier

Thanks for the input. I've got no experience with LED at all and as you can tell from my suing watts per gallon I'm not on the PAR cutting edge at all either. I'll have to go page through the lighting forum to read up on PAR and how you measure it.

As far as any lawsuit pending, If I sell one or two a month I'll be overwhelmed. If they feel threatened by those kinds of sales numbers they've got bigger problems than me using LED's and won't be around long I'm thinking. However, I haven't even begun to explore the world of LED's to know if they're even cost effective.

The 2.5g just isn't ready for more stuff. Heck I haven't even got the temperature to stabilize yet between the day and night cycle, but I'm close. However, because I'm a photo whore I'll post some pics of stuff waiting in my 10g for the 2.5g to be ready.

Here's the mother colony (living in my 10g) of all my GSP. I put the frags in my 29g prop tank...

post-42327-1235222316_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of the bottom section of my branching hammer...

post-42327-1235222369_thumb.jpg

Here's a zoa 'tree' so named because of the rock it's growing on. I'm not sure what kind it is. Anyone got an idea?

post-42327-1235222469_thumb.jpg

And here's the top section of the branching hammer along with some yellow polyps I'm encouraging as well as a candy cane frag from the Atlanta Reef Club frag swap earlier this month...

post-42327-1235222497_thumb.jpg

One of the branches of either the top hammer or the bottom will end up in the 2.5

Lastly, here's a shot of our yasa haza and his tiger pistol shrimp (who will remain in the 10g but likes for people to know he's there)...

post-42327-1235222663_thumb.jpg

firstchevalier

Update...

I've got four hermits (2 zebra and 2 electric blue legs), two nassarius snails, one astrea, and one emerald crab running clean up.

The diatom bloom is being cleaned up nicely and things are going well.

The temperature issue seems to have stabilized once I moved the heater into the main tank out of the HOB. This is not my preferred option. I've noticed my cheap heater is a hang on style and the line for the water line is out of the water nearly always. I'm going to purchase a submersible heater and see if I can move it back into the HOB and still keep a stable temp.

I've run into a setback on my 29g prop tank though that's going to eat up some time. In addition to flatworms, which I'm going to vacuum up with a little minijet siliconed into a ziplock container and an empty carbon bag, I purchased a sixline to help out. Unfortunately, the sixline appears to have ick or some other white spot parasite so he's in QT now and I have to figure out what treatment to use there. I'll update as I'm able.

firstchevalier

Update...

We have pod sightings. I took a flashlight to the tank this evening before heading up stairs and saw two tiny pods crawling over the rock. I'm probably going to move the tank to the office on Tuesday if all goes well this on Monday. Oh, and I'm upgrading the HOB to an AC70 using an AC20 impeller as well as upgrading the cheap@$$ heater to a Hydor Theo 25 watt submersible.

• 2 weeks later...
firstchevalier

Well, the AC20 impeller didn't have the juice to pull water through the AC70 intake pipe, at least not enough to get any flow to speak of. So, I've put the AC70 impeller in there and turned it down as far as it will go. It seems to be working quite well.

I also had to deal with a little flatworm infestation that was trying to take hold. I Highly recommend Salifert's Flatworm Exit for that by the way.

Lastly, can anyone tell me why I wouldn't want to put a tiny half inch long montipora (SP?) frag in a 2.5g pico? Yes I understand they will grow fast and have to be trimmed but I think I can live with that making them into frags I can then put in my prop tank. Just a question.

firstchevalier

Okay, I got laid off so no new additions to the tank. Things are going well though. We did dose Salifert's Flatworm exit and haven't seen those pesky buggers again plus all the corals are doing well to boot so I'll declare that a success in the 2.5g. Not as much in the 10g or the 29g, but that is another post all together.

I've noticed some growth on all three of the zoa frags in the tank so that's good too, and my pagoda frag from the Atlanta Reef Club meeting is recovering very nicely in there as well. Lastly, the emerald crab survived his first molt so all in all the tank is progressing nicely.

I have a question for those of you with more experience with picos than me. There's a sale on the coral life 36 watt fixture I'm thinking of purchasing. Is that too much light for a 2.5g tank or will zoa's, mushies, pagoda's, trumpets, etc just soak it up? Thanks.

Okay, I got laid off so no new additions to the tank. Things are going well though. We did dose Salifert's Flatworm exit and haven't seen those pesky buggers again plus all the corals are doing well to boot so I'll declare that a success in the 2.5g. Not as much in the 10g or the 29g, but that is another post all together.

I've noticed some growth on all three of the zoa frags in the tank so that's good too, and my pagoda frag from the Atlanta Reef Club meeting is recovering very nicely in there as well. Lastly, the emerald crab survived his first molt so all in all the tank is progressing nicely.

I have a question for those of you with more experience with picos than me. There's a sale on the coral life 36 watt fixture I'm thinking of purchasing. Is that too much light for a 2.5g tank or will zoa's, mushies, pagoda's, trumpets, etc just soak it up? Thanks.

I'm really sorry to hear about the lay off. :(

36W will be perfect for the 2.5G tank... that's a common upgrade for lighting amongst pico owners. :)

firstchevalier
I'm really sorry to hear about the lay off. :(

36W will be perfect for the 2.5G tank... that's a common upgrade for lighting amongst pico owners. :)

Thanks, but I think it's a God thing. I've already had one phone interview and will have a face to face with them in the first week of April. The severance was really good so I'm not hurting either.

On the tank front, I may have to spend the $45 and upgrade my lights. thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...
firstchevalier

Well, things finally changed. I have added a little yellow clown goby as my fish. I also added a lettuce nudibranc but it dissapeared shortly after arriving and I haven't seen it in two days (what predates on nudibrancs?)

lastly, my son decided the fish was 'hungry' so he dumpbed about fifty kent reef carnivore pellets into the tank when I wasn't looking (he's three) so now I'm doing a twice daily water change of about 32 oz after having broken the tank down and getting as much of the stuff out as I could. It took the water two days to clear (today). I'll get pics up of the fish as soon as I can.

Archived