Cultivated Reef

20g lighting help

brianm

Allo,

I am looking for help selecting a cheap and efficient light for my new 20g reef tank. I'm still in the planning stage, and have not made any final decisions about stocking. I'll probably go with soft corals for now.

From what I can tell, something like a 24" 150w fixture would do well.

As an important caveat, I am a Canadian. Many of the sites recommended here for ordering do not apply as they will not ship to the Dominion.

Budgeting factors play a key role. I cannot spend more than $300.

I was offered a 400w metal halide pendant for $80, but that seems like overkill in my smallish 20g tank.

Many thanks!

Cuurant USA Sundial can be had used for under $300 here in Canada. Try Kijiji. I have a 30" sundial T5H0 and love it. Has built in timers and led moon lights. This is what I have on my 20 long. It would work for you even if you have a tall.

I just recently upgraded my 20 gallon high tank (same dims as yours) from 2x65 watt pc 50/50 lights to a 150 Watt MH Sunpod. I couldn't be happier. I like the fact that I'm not limited to what I can put in my tank.

I just recently upgraded my 20 gallon high tank (same dims as yours) from 2x65 watt pc 50/50 lights to a 150 Watt MH Sunpod. I couldn't be happier. I like the fact that I'm not limited to what I can put in my tank.

I'm thinking that's what I want to go with

i love the sunpod. i only have a 12 gallon tank and currently have the 16.5 inch sunpod. I couldn't be happier. Very bright and allows me to keep anything I want. A huge huge huge huge improvement over 56 watts of pc lighting.

i love the sunpod. i only have a 12 gallon tank and currently have the 16.5 inch sunpod. I couldn't be happier. Very bright and allows me to keep anything I want. A huge huge huge huge improvement over 56 watts of pc lighting.

The price seems to be a bit of the downside. That being said, I'd rather splurge on the lighting system so that I dont limit myself to just leathers and softies. If I want to get some nice hard corals I can.

Tough to find a used one though. No luck on ebay, craigslist, or kijiji yet. I'll have to bide my time.

Not that big of a deal though. I haven't even picked up the liverock yet.

Archived