Top Shelf Aquatics

Fed up with my Biocube 8

TriGa22

My biocube eight is terrible. I have nasty hair algea all over the tank,detritus builds up everywhere, and the water smells. I use purigen,matrix,and live rock for filtration in the back chambers. I use RODI water and do a water change once a week. I upgraded the stock pump to allow more filtration. I am ready to tear the tank down and start over, good idea?

My biocube eight is terrible. I have nasty hair algea all over the tank,detritus builds up everywhere, and the water smells. I use purigen,matrix,and live rock for filtration in the back chambers. I use RODI water and do a water change once a week. I upgraded the stock pump to allow more filtration. I am ready to tear the tank down and start over, good idea?

How long have you had it set up, what are your water parameters?

if you oly had rock in it id say well if your ready to start over just turn the heater all the way up boil water. lol but you got stuff in it so dont

It will have been set up for a year in may. The parameters are great!

Salinity 1.026Temp 80

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 5

Nitrite 0

pH 8.2

what kind of thermometer you got just out of curiosity?

whats your light cycle like?

whens the last time you changed your media?

id do a big water change once a week, for a month and see if it slows or goes away....maybe use some phosban....

you have a girlfriend jealous of the tank? maybe she puts soap in it

Digital Thermometer

Media changed today

Lights are 10-10 actinic 11-9 daylit

double check w/ another thermometer maybe?

i dunno if running hot has anything to do w/ GHA growth....i do know temp swings can make calurpa polifera go sexual.....

no expert but i had a biocube 8 and notice that it build up detritus in the back chambers and front quick. try taking out the liverock from the back chambers. and try to siphon as much of the detritus you can from back there. i personally would leave out the liverock from the back. i know alot of people like to put liverock back there, but if you do, you have keep up on siphoning alot more because crap is going to pile up quick in a small tank. you could do a search on here and do the cheato in the back mod. if not you could try the cheato in the soap dish in the display. you will have to play around with hiding it but hey its easier. IME cheato helps keeping HA at decent levels. next you can try adding a powerhead in the front. a koralia nano wouldn't be bad size wise. i sure if you do a search on here you could find a powerhead smaller. then really all it is is water changes. idk if your running carbon or not but it will help with the smell, change often.

I have sand for my sandbed.

I have detritus build up everywhere. Yesterday I put a maxijet 900 on there for filtration.

I am thinking of modding the back chamber for a skimmer instead of cheato... IDK

Archived