Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feeding Clowns Frozen Foods

hoostie

I have frozen mysis shrimp that I feed my 2 clowns in the morning, they come in 1/2in cubes and I cut those into 4ths. Is that enough? I also feed them flakes at night.

Should be enough. If they're not eating it all you can cut back some even.

They don't eat much at night when I feed them, given I've only had them for 3 days and they're pretty little.

BustytheSnowMaam

I don't think you need to feed them that often, frozen pollutes your tank quite a bit if used in excess. I would just feed them the flake at night and then frozen once or twice a week. I know it's fun to feed them and interact with them :) .

I'll cut back a bit then with the shrimp. I also have a small tank with a bunch of live brine shrimp. should I give them some once a week?

I'll cut back a bit then with the shrimp. I also have a small tank with a bunch of live brine shrimp. should I give them some once a week?

IMO, I'd go with the shrimp still and cut out the night flakes to just a couple times a week.

IMO, I'd go with the shrimp still and cut out the night flakes to just a couple times a week.

So feed them once like twice a week with the frozen mysis shrimp, then just flakes the rest of the days, and leave out the brine shrimp?

Give them brine shrimp once a week, maybe twice. Put rotifers in the brine water if you have it. Then feed them the brine shrimp. (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175131&st=120&p=2046183entry2046183) Give them Mysis shrimp once a week. Alternate that with micro-crabs from Tetra if you want. They are much healthier with variety. I also give mine little slices of frozen fish (Walmart-special stuff) on occasion when I'm feeding my eel. They love just about anything. You can keep them just hungry enough to eat what you throw in there, but not so hungry that they nip at corals and/or take things FROM corals when you spot feed.

Edit: I forgot: I melt a few cubes of mysis into a tiny condiment cup (think plastic McDonalds Ketchup cups), and crush a clove of garlic in with saltwater. Let that marinate for a day in the fridge, freeze, then thaw and feed as necessary for bonus points.

Archived