Innovative Marine Aquariums

LFS in the Twin Cities

tibbsy07

I just moved from Florida to the Twin Cities in Minnesota and I've been researching to buy a nano setup. I've arranged with my Dad to snag his AP12g set up that he never ever used and is "too busy to bother with all this crap" I'm not setting the tank up yet, but I'm trying to find a good place to buy stuff around here. I'm in grad school so money is a bit tighter than it used to be, so I was hoping to find a nice LFS around here that wasn't too expensive. I realize that we're not close to a coast here, so prices on livestock would be more expensive but the one store I went to was more expensive than I anticipated (~$150 for a portable refractometer, $10 per pound of LR... unsure if it's cured or not, I didn't get to look at it). I thought about ordering from some place online, but then you can't hand pick your LR and the sites that I've looked at usually sell a minimum of 20 pounds, which is a pretty large amount for a 12g AP. Is there anyone in the Twin Cities area that knows of a LFS that has decent prices or are they all this way? Thanks!

I just moved from Florida to the Twin Cities in Minnesota and I've been researching to buy a nano setup. I've arranged with my Dad to snag his AP12g set up that he never ever used and is "too busy to bother with all this crap" I'm not setting the tank up yet, but I'm trying to find a good place to buy stuff around here. I'm in grad school so money is a bit tighter than it used to be, so I was hoping to find a nice LFS around here that wasn't too expensive. I realize that we're not close to a coast here, so prices on livestock would be more expensive but the one store I went to was more expensive than I anticipated (~$150 for a portable refractometer, $10 per pound of LR... unsure if it's cured or not, I didn't get to look at it). I thought about ordering from some place online, but then you can't hand pick your LR and the sites that I've looked at usually sell a minimum of 20 pounds, which is a pretty large amount for a 12g AP. Is there anyone in the Twin Cities area that knows of a LFS that has decent prices or are they all this way? Thanks!

Welcome to Minnesota! Check out Salt Water Empire, they really know their stuff. They have a large selection and good prices.

http://www.swempire.com

I grew up in Saint Paul, MN, I now live across the boarder in Wisconsin but I'm still a die hard Vikings fan.

I wanted to check out this LFS in Forest Lake that I been hearing about not sure of the name but I heard it looks like a hole in the wall from the outside but when you go in they have a nice reef area.

You could also try A World of Fish think thats in Minneapolis I heard they have a nice LFS.

If you wanted to go the Online route Foster and Smiths is located in Rhinelander, WI probably 4-5 hour drive from the Twin Cities so you would get your shipment early next day and they have a great selection of livestock and equipment.

I'm in the Twin Cities, my favs are Saltwater Empire, Discovery Aquatics, and Ocean Devotion. Go to the Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society club: http://www.tcmas.org They are a ton of help and most of the LFS are sponsers on there and post great deals.

Wow, thanks everyone! I looked up SW Empire and Ocean Devotion the other day, but they didn't have much listed online as far as prices go. I hadn't heard of Discovery Aquatics. A World of Fish was the store I went to that was a bit pricey, as far as I could tell. It was beautiful, the tanks were gorgeous and clean, but I was thinking that a lot of the stuff was out of my price range.

Thanks for the site too sway. I'll check that out ASAP.

Archived