Top Shelf Aquatics

Concerned about a shipment of mushrooms and zoas

Samm42

Hi. I just received a shipment today and I am really concerned about the temperature of the water when they arrived. It was pretty cold even with the packing and heat pads. Since this is my first ever shipment, I do not really know what they are supposed to look like - the shroom is open. The others are closed up pretty tight. Should I dip after trying warm them up and acclimate? Or did now and continue acclimate?

Thanks.

Hi. I just received a shipment today and I am really concerned about the temperature of the water when they arrived. It was pretty cold even with the packing and heat pads. Since this is my first ever shipment, I do not really know what they are supposed to look like - the shroom is open. The others are closed up pretty tight. Should I dip after trying warm them up and acclimate? Or did now and continue acclimate?

Thanks.

I'd let them float for maybe 30 mins in the bags ... that'll bring them up to temperature with the tank. The zoas are tough, but they may take a day or two to open after a cold shipment. As long as the contents of the bags don't small like death - you should be okay.

I'd let them float for maybe 30 mins in the bags ... that'll bring them up to temperature with the tank. The zoas are tough, but they may take a day or two to open after a cold shipment. As long as the contents of the bags don't small like death - you should be okay.

No Smell - should I dip them?

You don't have to dip, but you can. Your first priority should be warming up the water.

Don't dip because the "cold" killed whatever might be lurking or just no need to dip???? First purchase so I am trying to be careful and I have read that dipping is a requirement so that I don't add any nasties to my tank..

Dipping is more or less a matter of personal taste. If I ordered from a source that I can trust to be pest-free and the corals look clean, then I don't bother unless I think that the corals need the iodine to "perk them up".

Once you've warmed them up you can do a quick SW Iodine dip.

I've gotten zoas in 65 degree water and had them be fine.

Thanks Weety! I think they are warming up - I am starting to a little color ..... The mouth on the shroom has gotten really big - is that okay??

Thanks Weety! I think they are warming up - I am starting to a little color ..... The mouth on the shroom has gotten really big - is that okay??

It's a sign of stress, but don't panic.

It should recover a little after being placed in the aquarium.

Was there any kind of insulated lining in the shipping box?

Given the weather right now it's possible for them to be that cold even with insulation and heat packs, I just wondered.

It's a sign of stress, but don't panic.

It should recover a little after being placed in the aquarium.

Was there any kind of insulated lining in the shipping box?

Given the weather right now it's possible for them to be that cold even with insulation and heat packs, I just wondered.

Yes, white styrofoam liner, some crumpled newspaper and a heat pack. Also of note, a lot of detritus on them???

I would wash or brush the detrius off them. That is a sign that the person you bought them from tankwas not yet mature

Please elaborate on "wash/brush" - I was considering "washing" them with the baster. Do you have another recommendation? They seem so delicate...

Please elaborate on "wash/brush" - I was considering "washing" them with the baster. Do you have another recommendation? They seem so delicate...

Hey, polyps opening up nicely! Stupid turbo already knocked one frag off the spot I placed it - so into the tank I go to retrieve it! I am running stock on the NC 24. Should Zoas be placed higher up on the LR?

Archived