Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frozen Arg-Alive Fiji Pink - worthless?

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

So, given the temps en route to NY the past few days, I would be surprised if anything that may have been alive in my fiji pink sand is still going strong. Also, the kicker is that the UPS guy left the package sitting outside when my neighbor wasn't home to get it while I was at work, meaning it's been in 15 degree weather for a while. Should I just count it as good as dead sand now and worry about seeding the sand some other way?

"The current ballpark estimate for shipping is between $20 and $25 for the first pound with subsequent pounds costing $2.75 for overnight and 1.75 for two day. We recommend overnight for the live rock and Two-Day or Priority Mail for the sand and base rock."

Wow what kind of shipping charges are these???

ThiefofAlways
Not worthless but probably not what it was intended to be.

Like the others stated, rinse and give it a go.

+1

some bacteria can live under very extreme conditions. Volcanoes and shim. Im sure it

makes it into your tank in some form or fashion.

What good bacteria could survive being sealed in a bag with no food for weeks or months?

Dormant bacteria and spores perhaps?????

The product has a shelf life of like a year.

I bet you anything even if frozen it still works just as well. I have a frozen bag sitting in my car right now that I will use on my new tank.

DO NOT RINSE ARAG-ALIVE.

might as well just buy dry sand if you are going to rinse it.

Dormant bacteria and spores perhaps?????

The product has a shelf life of like a year.

I bet you anything even if frozen it still works just as well. I have a frozen bag sitting in my car right now that I will use on my new tank.

DO NOT RINSE ARAG-ALIVE.

might as well just buy dry sand if you are going to rinse it.

I wondered this, as well.

Why would you rinse "live" sand? Wouldn't you be washing away any viable bacteria? Or am I missing something?

Archived