ReefCleaners.org

Live Rock Question

das808

How long can LR survive in the open air? I've noticed that online stores will ship them in coolers but the LR is not submerged in any water. Same goes for when purchased at an LFS.

live rock isnt "living". live rock has algae or living organisms in or on them. they will probably ship you uncures liverock, with none of the living stuff on it. If you are putting it in a new tank, then it will eventually grow the algae and hitchhikers will come on rocks that coral in on and live in the liverock.

The bacteria in the live rock that makes it "live" can only live a short amount of time. It needs to always be wet otherwise you will have a mini cycle if it is curred before you take it out

So let's say if I wanted to rid all hitchhikers, all I would need to do is dry out the LR? What if the LR is completely dried out and is bleached. If placed in a new tank for cycling, will bacteria from the live sand help cure the rock?

Okay, I take it bleach rock = bad rock. So, it is okay to dry the rock to kill HH and then place in tank to cure? How long can the rock remain dry before any real damage is done?

Bleach will kill all youre livestock well after you cleaned the rocks. The small traces will cause devastating affects. Yes you can dry it out and then put it back in the tank to cycle.

this is wrong.

if bleach gets into the aquarium ur fkd.

u can use bleach and water to kill the rock. soak in bleach water for 2 days then fresh for 2 days. then it must dry out completely (sp). if any bleach is left it will evaorate. ive done research on it and many people have done it this way. i just did 300# myself. ive been buying it for cheap as people break down their tank and just bleaching it. that way i wont have any hh or algeas.

sorry didnt mean to come off as a d!ck.

how? I thought if bleach gets into the aquarium youre doomed? Please inform me I apologize if Im wrong

The chlorine in bleach evaporates fairly fast. Just let it set out a day or so and it will be fine. IDK if i would bleach rock though as it is pretty rough with lots of little holes and pores.

no worries. I knew if bleach got into the tank it was a gonner but I didnt know you could wash with bleach. thanks for clearing that up reefone.

if you are that worried about hitch hikers, why don't you just use base rock or dry rock. eventually, it will become "live". base rock it much cheaper. all you have to do is get a pound or two of cured rock to seed the rest of them with coraline algea. no headaches, no worries.

if you are that worried about hitch hikers, why don't you just use base rock or dry rock. eventually, it will become "live". base rock it much cheaper. all you have to do is get a pound or two of cured rock to seed the rest of them with coraline algea. no headaches, no worries.

if ur asking me ive been picking lr up for 2.50$ or less a pound. cant buy dry rock that cheap.

you can do that, it will help. you might want to read the topics on zoa's and how to dip them. you can use the same process to dip live rock.

When I got my first shipment of uncured LR I didn't want any bad hitchhikers so I decided to do the burn method. Simply mix some saltwater to 1.045 or higher and leave the rock in the water for 5 minutes.

I did not loose any coralline or macro algae on the rock. But all the worms and crabs and other unidentified things inside the rocks left the rock.

When I got my first shipment of uncured LR I didn't want any bad hitchhikers so I decided to do the burn method. Simply mix some saltwater to 1.045 or higher and leave the rock in the water for 5 minutes.

Interesting. Never read of that method before. I could probably try that method instead. Doesn't seem to complicated. Thanks for your suggestion.

deepdvnarq, thanks for your suggestions as well. So, I'll search for it on NR.com.

Thanks everyone for all your input. It's really helpful. Guess what! My Pico tank just arrived. I'm so siked. I'm still waiting on more items to come in the mail. So I'll keep you guys updated.

Archived