Innovative Marine Aquariums

care for kole tangs

petkingdom619

petkingdom619

I cant really find a decent answer on what size aquarium these can possibly be happy with. And if they need lots of LR to grow algae or if its ok to supplement with store foods.

Would this be about right for feeding them?

Would a 60gallon 20 gallon sump be ok?if not ill just stop researching now

"In addition to naturally occurring food, you can for instance give your Kole tang marine algae, boiled zucchini, and blanched romaine lettuce. It is also a good idea to add a high-quality flake food rich in vitamin C to the diet, preferably one that contains spirulina. The Kole tang loves all sorts of dried seaweed, e.g. nori. This species is commonly viewed as an herbivore, but it actually needs occasionally servings of meaty food to stay happy and healthy in the long run. You can for instance feed it mysid shrimp and brine shrimp."

70 Gallons seems to be the minimum....and of course that is not only for swimming room but area to scavange for algae. They'll constantly pick at the rocks and glass.

Had one in my 40 for about 6 months now. It is small eats constantly, be prepared to provide supplimental algae. That being said, it probably has the most personality of all my fish and started eating out of my hand this week. I highly recommend one if your seriously looking for a tang.

Had one in my 40 for about 6 months now. It is small eats constantly, be prepared to provide supplimental algae. That being said, it probably has the most personality of all my fish and started eating out of my hand this week. I highly recommend one if your seriously looking for a tang.

That's awesome!

petkingdom619

yea im seeing some good stories of them in a 50 or larger. My tank is a 60 and is 4 ft long so should have lots of swimming room.

Would you suggest adding them last? I may get a pair of black and white clowns or some small gobies or something.

yea im seeing some good stories of them in a 50 or larger. My tank is a 60 and is 4 ft long so should have lots of swimming room.

Would you suggest adding them last? I may get a pair of black and white clowns or some small gobies or something.

Mine was added shortly after my goby and clowns but I never saw any problems at all. They dont seem to interact with other species much. I definaltely would only get one though.

Archived