Pod Your Reef

Do diatoms always come with cycling?

Shack

Hi all :)

I just had a quick question. It has officially been a month that I have left my tank cycling for. However, I have not once seen any diatoms, and I have used the product "cycle" since week 2. I am not sure if this is irregular, or if this happens from time to time, or if I should just let it cycle some more. All input would be greatly appreciated :)

~Shack

It doesn't always happen, no two cycles are alike really. And diatoms can also appear and disappear within a day so it's hard to catch sometimes.

Btw, you wasted money on the 'cycle' product.

lalani - it was on sale for 2 dollars at walmart, so I couldn't turn it down. I have heard that it helps people to not lose fish, so I thought it couldn't hurt for when I added my green banded goby in. Thanks for the input though :)

meh, I am going to finish off the bottle of it, and once i am done with it, I am not going to buy another bottle of it. Soon, I get enough money in from e-bay to buy all the stuff I want, but I think I am going to take it really slow since its my first time lol :P

Lalani - in your opinion, what supplements would I need for sexies, a pom pom, and possibly 1 cleaner?

Simple test... FEED the tank. Test for ammonia and nitrite every three hours. If you see any ammonia or nitrite in the next two days, then your cycle is not done. If no ammonia or nitrite shows up, then it is done.

Then start adding CUC, then corals, then fish.

dsoz

Lalani - in your opinion, what supplements would I need for sexies, a pom pom, and possibly 1 cleaner?

No supplements needed, just keep up with your water changes. :)

Oh, and a pico is a little small for a cleaner shrimp, not sure if I would put one in there, but I've seen in done.

Archived