Top Shelf Aquatics

Will my 150 watt Sunpod melt the eggcrate cover?

Vietreef

Hi all, my maroon clown jump out the tank onto the floor a few days ago but lucky I spot it soon enough to rescue it. So I decided to use the glass cover on my eco-cube and the temp increase upto 83.4 F today. I think that's a little too high. I have done research and discover that eggcrate is the next alternative cover but the problem is I am using a Sunpod and they don't recommend to use anything but glass for cover. Anyone here using the eggcrate cover with the 150 watt sunpod? Thanks for your help.

I've ~heard~ egg crate can melt if it is located too close to MHs for a duration of time. I think a lot of it depends on the relativity. Also, interesting fact I learned today... egg crate plastic is slightly tapered to one side... you want the side with the thinner plastic facing UP... the difference in focus is apparently minute, but still exists.

I have it under my 150W Coralife clamp-on, but it's a good 8" away.

Thanks for the quick respond. I am using the mounting legs that came with the sunpod so it's about 4" away from the cover that's why I'm concerning about using the eggcrate. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to look around so any one else have any ideas please help. Thanks

theres a thread at rc where the guy used a aluminum rail for window screens and replaced the screen with pond net/screen. you can buy a kit at home depot to make your own custom screen cover.

I have eggcrate under my 250w Sunpod. I have only used it for a couple of weeks, but I haven't had any issues. Eggcrate is so cheap that if I have to replace it a few times a year it doesn't matter.

J

Archived