SaltCritters.com

TheStar's LED powered BC29

TheStar

This tanks been running since just after Christmas and I'm just now putting up a new topic. It was a wonderful Christmas present from my Serious GF and its coming along nicely...

I have followed the leads/mods I have found here in the forums...

TEALCOBRA http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=TEALCOBRA

JBiocube29 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128484

Tudizzle http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128801

Chamber 1 Heater, Chemipure & Purigen False Bottom Removed....hoping for some type of Rack from Stevie T

Widen Gap between Chamber 1 and 2 with a Red Hot Butter Knife

Chamber 2 Sapphire Aquatics BC29 Protein Skimmer

Chamber 3 Rio 6HF with soon to be removed elbow

Hydor Flow Deflector

Nanotuners 4.36 lighting upgrade with 2 10k's and 2 Actinic - including the upgraded Fan and Moonlights.

Upgrading to LED's in the near future...

First FTSIMAGE_132.jpg

IMAGE_135.jpg

New FTS 6/28/09

P6281043.jpg

P6281055.jpg

P6281076.jpg

New FTS 1/31/2010

CIMG0316.jpg

CIMG0339.jpg

CIMG0341.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lookin' good and it looks like you're doing things the right way! Glad to see the "Search" feature works! ;)

Now, I have to ask.... Did you remember widen the gap between chambers 1 & 2?

Lookin' good and it looks like you're doing things the right way! Glad to see the "Search" feature works! ;)

Now, I have to ask.... Did you remember widen the gap between chambers 1 & 2?

Sure did....I even remembered to go back and edit my original post to add it in. B)

Thanks!

New Pictures. Just got the Purple Lobster, Flame Scallops and the 2 Black Clowns....

IMAGE_303.jpg

IMAGE_304.jpg

IMAGE_308.jpg

Here you can see the snail she caught and later released..

IMAGE_318.jpg

Those things are supposed to kill fish ect. Good luck and props to you if you can keep it in a reef.

Hmmm....interesting....I thought it would be okay. I bought it based on the description from the place I bought it from:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=4

The Purple Lobster is a relatively new item to become available in the aquarium industry. These Lobsters have incredible coloring that begins with purple and extends to violet, pink, shades of blue, and yellow. They will not harm or attack other invertebrates or fish, unless provoked. Purple Lobsters prefer lots of hiding places, crevices, and caves, so it is best if you have lots of rockwork in your aquarium. The Purple Lobster is nocturnal and should be fed meaty pieces regularly; they will also accept flake and pellets. Keep only one per tank. They make a great addition to any aquarium.

Lobsters belong to the Class Crustacea and Order Decapoda, which is characterized by two pair of antennae, three body parts, and five pairs of legs. The head of a Lobster is connected to the thorax and covered by a shell called carapace. If a Lobster has antennae they are normally thick and conical and serve the Lobster as extended eyes. Lobsters normally have thick and wide abdomens and tails which allow them to propel their body backwards at lightning speeds. In order for Lobsters to grow they need to shed their exoskeleton, a process called "molting", which allows them to remove their restricting shell and begin a new one. Often times in the home aquarium Lobsters will leave this translucent shell in full view so it can serve as a distraction while the Lobster finds a hiding place as its new shell hardens.

FTS with my phone...Still trying to figure out the new camera. Just did a 4G water change and scraped the inside of the glass. Also starting to see some coraline coming in...

IMAGE_325.jpg

IMAGE_324.jpg

IMAGE_322.jpg

Yeah 4 clowns = 2 will die. Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that was a really bad idea.

I would keep the blacks. You are going to have to make the choice or they will make it for you. They may be immature couples right now, but as soon as a male/female pair forms, the other 2 are done.

I don't know if those clowns are all going to get along. How do they seem to be doing now?

They seem fine now. Is it a size thing or a number/type thing?

It's a number thing. You can keep two clowns, because they'll pair up. The other two will eventually be bullied to death. You have to remember that Clown's are related to Damsels, if they didn't pair up it would be one per tank.

You cant have two pairs of clowns in a tank that small. Maybe like a 100g with two anemones, but even then they may kill each other.

Pairs of clowns are very territorial.

They may be fine now but its only a matter of time before they start killing each other, guaranteed

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that was a really bad idea.

My bubbles okay....I have had lots of bad ideas....

Now, how do I fix it? I guess I will have to work out a trade. Any suggestions for other fishy's?

Nice tank TheStar! I have one of the purple lobsters also. I had it for about a year with no problems and loved it. Then one day i started losing all the rock dwelling fish. 2 Mandarin gobys, and 2 engineer gobys. I found him and took him out. I also found a nice big crab that i took out at the same time. I dont know what one was killing the fish but im sure it was one of the 2. I think with clownfish you will be fine but be on the cautious side when buying rock dwelling fish. The Crab and Lobster are both in my sump right now but im considering moving the Lobster back out to the main tank.

How do you like the Flame Scallop? How often is it out in the open?

Nice tank TheStar! I have one of the purple lobsters also. I had it for about a year with no problems and loved it. Then one day i started losing all the rock dwelling fish. 2 Mandarin gobys, and 2 engineer gobys. I found him and took him out. I also found a nice big crab that i took out at the same time. I dont know what one was killing the fish but im sure it was one of the 2. I think with clownfish you will be fine but be on the cautious side when buying rock dwelling fish. The Crab and Lobster are both in my sump right now but im considering moving the Lobster back out to the main tank.

How do you like the Flame Scallop? How often is it out in the open?

Love the Flame Scallop, you find them in the strangest places. There was one of them in the top corner the other day (up by the return pump.) Not even sure how it could get/stay up there. You don't really see them out in the open unless they are on the move.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have all 4 clowns. Thinking about buying a new tank and just putting a pair in there instead of trading them. Anyway, new FTS and a couple of questions.

Anyone know what the Green Algae type of stuff is(between the brain and the duncan)? What about the Red (to the right of the duncan)? They have both been there for a while and are starting to stick out a bit.

P2271619.jpg

P2271620.jpg

P2271638.jpg

P2271648.jpg

P2271652.jpg

P2271656.jpg

P2271669.jpg

....and another of the Leather.

P2271621.jpg

Archived