Pod Your Reef

Jason7504's 34g Solana

Jason7504

hey jason,

great looking tank! i recently got myself a 34g solana and had a lighting question for you. ive been trying to figure out what is the largest/heaviest light fixture i can use on the edges of the tank. i see by the pictures and tank specs that your're running the outer orbit. Which size fixture is that? Have you had any or heard of any problems with weight?

thanks jason,

any help would be appreciated

keep up the good work,

brandon

hey brandon,

thanks for the compliment :)

well the outer orbit im using is 24" and its weighs around 30-40lbs and i haven't had any issues and i dont know of anybody that has had issues with the weight

its a great fixture, i love having the MH and the T5s. the color is great and gives 250w without the heat of a straight 250w MH

feel free to ask me anymore questions :)

how do you like your topoff, and would you buy the same one again? I'm looking into one for my Solana.

is this the one you bought?

http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

thanks, nice tank.

-Mike B)

i like it..heck ya i would..it works great. haven't had any issues with it so far and alot cheaper than others

yup thats the same one i have

oh and thanks.cant wait to see your tank's progress too :D

Thanks Jason, Just setting mine up now. Waiting on the rocks! Will probably setup a tank thread once I get more stuff. How are the sps doing? I have a Nova t5 pro extreme 6 bulb (20") setup, think that will be enuf for SPS?

thanksagain,

-Mike :)

edit: btw, what size tubing for the MJ900?

Thanks Jason, Just setting mine up now. Waiting on the rocks! Will probably setup a tank thread once I get more stuff. How are the sps doing? I have a Nova t5 pro extreme 6 bulb (20") setup, think that will be enuf for SPS?

thanksagain,

edit: btw, what size tubing for the MJ900?

oh cool.how many lbs of LR are you getting?

oh my sps are doing great..i just got the purple and teal acro colonies a week or so ago and waiting for them to fully color up..yeah i think a 6 bulb nova pro should be enough?

is it gonna be a sps dominant tank or a mixed reef?

oh cool.how many lbs of LR are you getting?

oh my sps are doing great..i just got the purple and teal acro colonies a week or so ago and waiting for them to fully color up..yeah i think a 6 bulb nova pro should be enough?

is it gonna be a sps dominant tank or a mixed reef?

Ya Jason its gonna be sps dominated. I've already got a frag of setosa, bennet tort, ponage, and a few other cool sps, sitting in a friends tank!(And whatever I clip out of his tank,lol) As far as the rock, I have about 10lbs of LR in there already, and 50 lbs of base rock from Reefcleaners.org on the way. I'm trying something different in this tank, and goin with mostly baserock. Then i'm gonna wait it out, and seed it with a minimall amount of LR. Setting up is the most fun, imo...

-Mike B)

Ya Jason its gonna be sps dominated. I've already got a frag of setosa, bennet tort, ponage, and a few other cool sps, sitting in a friends tank!(And whatever I clip out of his tank,lol) As far as the rock, I have about 10lbs of LR in there already, and 50 lbs of base rock from Reefcleaners.org on the way. I'm trying something different in this tank, and goin with mostly baserock. Then i'm gonna wait it out, and seed it with a minimall amount of LR. Setting up is the most fun, imo...

-Mike B)

well thats awesome..i love sps dominant and mixed reefs! oh nice..60lbs is a good amount but will give you space to mount frags and more nitrifiying bacteria and pods. yeah i love setting up too..its fun getting all the equipment and setting it up

are you going to keep the stock simmer or get like a different one like sapphire aquatics skimmer?

and what powerheads are you gonna get for circulation?

are you going to keep the stock simmer or get like a different one like sapphire aquatics skimmer?

and what powerheads are you gonna get for circulation?

Yes, Sapphire skimmer enroute now!, And I have an MP20 Vortech already in the tank. I also have a Reefkeeper lite, and Just ordered the ATO like yours after your recommendation(thanks). I also have a friend that is using a different setup from autotopoff.com, and he loves it too.

edit: I also have one of thos JBJ nano lights for the back that I will make into refugium!

Yes, Sapphire skimmer enroute now!, And I have an MP20 Vortech already in the tank. I also have a Reefkeeper lite, and Just ordered the ATO like yours after your recommendation(thanks). I also have a friend that is using a different setup from autotopoff.com, and he loves it too.

edit: I also have one of thos JBJ nano lights for the back that I will make into refugium!

nice well it sounds like your tanks gonna be sweet :D

oh and by the way the tubing that i use for my mj is 1/2" OD

• 2 months later...
well after awhile without an update, i have some new additions.

a dragon face pipefish

mydragonfacepipefish.jpg

mydragonfacepipefish2.jpg

I love watching my pipefish! he's so cool and fun to watch. he's so stealthy and slow moving as he stalks the pods. so sweet!

my new rose mili

rosemilli.jpg

and my new pincushion urchin

pincushionurchin.jpg

the urchin rocks. he really goes to town on the algae

Archived