Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DHaut's DIY Custom Build! NEW STAND PICS!

Deleted User 6

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, this is an awsome build. I'm waiting on my glass-holes.com drill kit also. Can't wait to get my 20g drilled. This gives me a great boost in knowing the drilling can be done without totally ruining the whole project. I'll be following this one. Looking good!

Deleted User 6
Dude, this is an awsome build. I'm waiting on my glass-holes.com drill kit also. Can't wait to get my 20g drilled. This gives me a great boost in knowing the drilling can be done without totally ruining the whole project. I'll be following this one. Looking good!

Thanks! glass-holes is great. Go slow (took me an hour or so because I took a couple breaks) and you won't have a problem.

Thanks! The drilling was totally easy!

I told you that you could do it. It looks sharp you'll be glad you did it and it beats that that siphon idea you had.

Deleted User 6
I told you that you could do it. It looks sharp you'll be glad you did it and it beats that that siphon idea you had.

Definitely. Thanks for the motivation - I'm really happy with it.

Great thread... I'm in Rosedale. NYC in the House!!! I was wondering how did you silicone the edges. Anyways, i love what you've done so far... Can't wait to see the finished product. Laterz B)

Deleted User 6
Great thread... I'm in Rosedale. NYC in the House!!! I was wondering how did you silicone the edges. Anyways, i love what you've done so far... Can't wait to see the finished product. Laterz B)

Thanks! I'm in Brooklyn B) The edges were done using Type I 100% Silicone from Lowes. I just ran a bead down the bottom edge and side edges of each wall and set them in place. I then ran another bead into each of the joints where the glass met and smoothed it with my finger. Add some duct tape to hold it all together while it dries and you've got an aquarium :happy:

Deleted User 6

How's this for the back plumbing? Do I need a ball valve on the drain or on the pump if I'm using a Mag 5 return pump? Which one's going to be stronger?

The pvc isn't glued so it'll be easy to adjust.

Advice?

post-35397-1234479356_thumb.jpg

Looking good!

You want your drain to be able to handle whatever your return can throw at it. You want it on your return just in case your drain can't handle the flow. The two 90s in that pipe are really going to slow down your max drain speed.

Mind if I ask what you paid for the 10 Gal :P

Deleted User 6
Looking good!

You want your drain to be able to handle whatever your return can throw at it. You want it on your return just in case your drain can't handle the flow. The two 90s in that pipe are really going to slow down your max drain speed.

Mind if I ask what you paid for the 10 Gal :P

The 10g was $10. I don't know where the nearest thrift store is in Brooklyn or if it's easy to get to by public transit and if there would even be a tank there. So I just went with the $10.

As for drain speed, about what gph should I expect the current setup to produce? Flow in the display will be achieved by a koralia nano or two so I'm not worried about that - I do want to know what kind of turnover I should expect and look for.

Deleted User 6
use 45s instead of 90s and get a ball valve in there so you can adjust the flow to make it as quiet as possible.

Alright - I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow to see if I can find some 45s. Thanks.

ahaha you went a drilled it, i win, i knew it would be easy to drill it. everything looks good, where are you doing your return just over the top??

Deleted User 6
ahaha you went a drilled it, i win, i knew it would be easy to drill it. everything looks good, where are you doing your return just over the top??

Ha - yeah, you win. It was super easy. And yes, the returns going over the top. I'll handle flow with a koralia or two.

With 45s and a ball valve.

post-35397-1234563318_thumb.jpg

For the Mag 5 pump, what size flex tubing do I need?

Nice job Now lets get some water in this bad boy!

Oh, and does your return have anything to prevent siphoning in a power outage? like a check valve or a small hole to break the siphon?

Archived