Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do zoas move?

jots7

Hi All,

I just noticed that a single polyp from a small colony of zoas (say 25 polyps) is about two inches away from the main colony. Do zoas move around independently or would a CUC member move it? Silly question but that for any replies.

i would say no. was it on a seperate frag? i noticed one time i had glue a peice of my colony to a seperate frag, and it came loose, and floated somewhere. i didnt find it for a week, and its growing where it landed...stupid zoa!

Hi All,

I just noticed that a single polyp from a small colony of zoas (say 25 polyps) is about two inches away from the main colony. Do zoas move around independently or would a CUC member move it? Silly question but that for any replies.

Must have been glued to a hermit crab.

Must have been glued to a hermit crab.

Funny you should mention that. I have a hermit running around in my BC8 with a mini colony of green zoas on him. It started as 1 single polyp and has group to 3 or 4. I'm not quite sure how they got attached to him originally.

HI All,

The zoa is clearly detached from the main colony which I thought was a singular frag but you may be right about a loose region of the frag dissociating and 'floating' to a new home. I was just curious.....Thansk for the thoughts!

When they bud they can tend to spread out a little instead of glow in a close cluster depending on the conditions in the tank. The mat may have grown to that spot and when the bud took root the mat connecting to the bud just receded a bit so now you don't see the connection. It could also be that a bud was released and just happened to take root right there.

Archived